Pirate theme deck - critique and suggest

femalegamer

You guys are giving me some great, great ideas.

They're hoping to have something ready for the big gaming convention, GenCon, which is in August. After that, they may work on the rest of a deck, they just want to concentrate on the majors first.

I suggested that if that's how it works, to also sell the minors on their own, so people who bought the majors don't get screwed over.

He also does box engraving, so it would probably come in an engraved box... hopefully one that looks like a treasure chest! :)

Moonchild1721

I love the idea of a pirates tarot! All the ideas I've read so far are so great. I'll be keeping my eye out for this deck:)
Samantha

rota

Didn't the Jolly Roger/skull n' crossbones flag design supposedly arise from Knights Templars' voyage to the New World following the arrests by the Pope and the French king? If so, there's a real-world tarot connection for ya.

For the wheel, why not use the compass-rose from a period map, and superimpose a ship's wheel on it?

femalegamer

Hmm, I'll have to investigate that.

I'd just like to say again that you guys are wonderfully supportive and inspiring. :)

aaquwaa

Hi,
Nice thread here. Would love to see a pirate deck. Campeche was a walled city, to protect from pirates. Another thought on the tower, a pirate ship shooting into the barracade maybe for the tower. Also maybe people in the batteries (the little cubicles where they stored the gunpowder and stuff) Dungeons and chains, and skeletons. oh and pirates, don't forget Sir Francis Drake. :)
aaquwaa

femalegamer

If we do minors, Sir Francis Drake is so the King of Cups. :) Actually, we're talking about making the court cards Captain, Lady Captain, First Mate and Cabin Boy, or something like that.

magela_earth

gah, miss out on Blunderbuss' (sp?) for a suit?? that's sad

Roc, you wouldn't happen to live in souther Michigan would you, because there was someone flying the jolly roger on our boulevard a while back. Hilarious.

*crosses fingers for pirate tarot* that would rock. i would be all over it, even wood burned versions.

femalegamer

But which suit would it replace? Wands/staves? I mean, I guess a rifle can be used as a club, but... ;)

I'll think about it.

magela_earth

ya, I would probably use it for the wands suit. Only because pirates are totally into treasure (can be worked into pentacles) and drink all the time (worked into cups) and obviously sword fighting. I keep thinking about it being just pirate themed instead of specific pirates in history...but I think that would work both ways no?? that's just me though

cirom

Pirate themed Tarot

I think this is a very very good idea.
With many themed decks I feel the "theme" works well in a few cards and then gets stretched thinner and thinner to force it to make up a full deck. It also stretches the credibility of the deck in the process. But there are so many good visual connections here that it can be a themed deck with staying power across all the cards.
Such a good idea in fact it might be stolen by "pirates" be careful and register images once you have something tangeable.