Please - which deck is the Lg Thoth deck??

Skydancer

I see "large" decks at Amazon, and on eBay, which say they are about 4"X 6" and I compare them to mine and I'm wondering if they are measuring the outside box or the cards themselves. My deck is "normal" for a deck - but the box they came in is HUGE.

Can someone point me to where or what the really large decks are, the deck it's been meantioned is good for study?? The box to mine has the last date of 2006 I think. Do I want one issued before this date? Anyway, I'm hopelessly confused. Please advise. :eek:

*S*

rwcarter

I have 2 versions of the Thoth. Both are published by Samuel Wiser. One has 78 cards and is 3-1/4" x 6-1/2" and was published in 1983. The other is 7 cm x 11 cm, has 80 cards (3 versions of the Magus) and was published in 1986.

HTH,
Rodney

fyreflye

The Large Thoth is as big as that big box and is in fact the original size in which the cards were first issued. The Large Thoth is necessary if you want to study the details of the symbolism or admire the art work. The best printing of the Large Thoth is the AG Müller Blue Swiss box, still in print. The smaller versions are necessary for working with complex spreads. To fully appreciate the deck you need to have both.

Scion

The Blue box is my favorite as well, although apparently the printing source has changed. For some time the green box US Games edition and the AG Mueller blue box has been produced in the same place... only the packaging differs. The stunning blue box of yesteryear is only available in older print runs. (Many thanks to Gregory & Jeannette for pointing this out to me.)

That said, if you're buying US Games, the green box is the largest.

Skydancer

I think I have it worked out now - ??
I have the Purple Box - with the 3 versions of the magus card.

2 3/4" X 4 1/4" actual card size.

So you're saying the Blue Box is bigger yet? I was at TG but their cards sizes do not match mine, even for the Purple Box. They are saying that the Green Box is the biggest. I see a Blue Box edition for sale at eBay.

Thanks!!
*S*

SolSionnach

Scion said:
The Blue box is my favorite as well, although apparently the printing source has changed. For some time the green box US Games edition and the AG Mueller blue box has been produced in the same place... only the packaging differs. The stunning blue box of yesteryear is only available in older print runs. (Many thanks to Gregory & Jeannette for pointing this out to me.)

That said, if you're buying US Games, the green box is the largest.

Dayum. And I was getting ready to trade mine away, thinking that it was the same as what's available now.
I think I need to talk to my trade-e, and see if she would accept a brand-new big box thoth, instead of my older one (or even my small AGMuller thoth) :p I knew that there was some reason I wanted to keep the bigger one.

wytchwood

The blue box AGM one is my favourite as well. I have the large, standard and pocket sizes, they are all more vibrant than the greenie I used to have, and I love the quality of the cards, but the large is slightly different to the others somehow and has a more greyish tinge to the edges. The borders are light grey on all of them, but more noticeably grey on the large. They are too big for my hands, but I love looking at them, studying them, and they are excellent for magical work and meditation etc.

Zoe xx

HearthCricket

I have the large Blue Box Swiss Thoth, from Tarot Garden, and I love it. I have small hands, but I can work with this. I have the smaller purple box, too, but the bigger one is my favourite. All the others seem to lose so much in the punch of the colours and artwork. It is the one deck that actually made me finally click to Thoth!

Abrac

Skydancer said:
I think I have it worked out now - ??
I have the Purple Box - with the 3 versions of the magus card.

2 3/4" X 4 1/4" actual card size.

So you're saying the Blue Box is bigger yet? I was at TG but their cards sizes do not match mine, even for the Purple Box. They are saying that the Green Box is the biggest. I see a Blue Box edition for sale at eBay.

Thanks!!
*S*
The Thoth comes in three sizes that I know of - the one you have is in the middle. The Largest is 5 1/2 x 3 3/4". Then there is the pocket edition, slightly smaller than yours - 3 1/2 by 2 1/4". The blue box comes in all three sizes. I've only seen the green box in the largest size.

I measured my purple box cards and got 2 3/4 x 4 5/16"! lol It looks like what happened is TG measured the dimensions of the outer box rather than the actual cards, making their measurements slightly larger than yours. I'm sure it's the same deck, but it is a little confusing.