Positive & Negative Energy

Crowqueen

full deck said:
Superstition perhaps? If this were true, my sock drawer would be quite evil.
If one's mind is not focused due to a lack of comfort when reading or clutter, then one will have some difficulties reading. Anything else is not germaine to Tarot.

I do try and clear a space or find a clear space to read the cards, particularly well away from sceptics!

BTW I'm sorry for taking things off topic a bit, but perhaps we are talking about the best place for meditation, readings and so on, since for some people Tarot is a meditative activity and trying to do it in a chaotic environment - or with a chaotic mindset - might lead to gobbledegook. I have tried readings where I am not sure - in my mind - of what I want to ask, and correspondingly they have failed miserably to make any sense whatsoever; in one a card stuck in the box was more appropriate than any of the cards in the actual spread; appropriately enough it was the 10 of Wands, which surely signified I was oppressed by my gloomy mindset or for the need to see instant results rather than taking the time to mull over the situation.

PH's post might not refer specifically to Tarot, but I get his meaning in the context. He was also following on from your comment about "if one's mind is not focussed". No wish to get into an argument about it, but a discussion is a meandering thing, any attempt to straitjacket it will only lead to bad feeling. Also he is coming from the standpoint of a journalist and historian as well as an enthusiast, so he has an interesting point to make.

full deck

Crowqueen said:
I do try and clear a space or find a clear space to read the cards, particularly well away from sceptics!
Cool, Crowqueen — having a clean space and avoiding people who might not appreciate Tarot makes sense. My concern is that it is fallacious to talk about reading Tarot and "energy flow" and "energies" in the same breath. One reads Tarot, not energy flows and, as such, relies upon the readers abilities and not some external element to dictate capability.

Connecting some notion of "energy" to reading Tarot is more like making a connection between driving a car and having a belief. While one might pray while driving (it happens), it is not really a part of driving a car unless one creates a psychological pretext for such.

Philip Harris

Vibrations

Since the question was asked about vibrations, that is the question to which I responded. Have you never entered a room and felt "bad vibes,' or concersely, entered a place and just felt happy, or sad, or depressed ?Anything consistently done in one place sets up an atmosphere or a mood. Those who read in one location may have different results than if you are always on the road. Is it not a common practice for the client to hold the cards for a short time before a reading? Is this not to transfer the vibrations of the one to the other? In a proper state of mind one can be the sanctum. It does not always have to be the same place. One ususally enters a state of calm before a reading, clearing extraneous thoughts and attuning oneself to the client. This is a sharing of vibrations-It is The String Theory in action-we are all one. To me, the Tarot opens a door in the mind that allows the flow of intuition, the real source of information. You can call me Phil!

full deck

Philip Harris said:
. . . Have you never entered a room and felt "bad vibes,' or concersely, entered a place and just felt happy, or sad, or depressed . . .
Phil, I think it is safe to say that this sort of thing happens to people. I would be very reluctant to put much emphasis upon a place as being the source of spiritual action simply because I have not seen or heard of a given place as being the driving force behind magik or spiritual activity. Rather, it is people who drive these actions and most likely share some form of energy in a meaningful manner, not places. Though I concede that there may be something that could be described as "energy" in inanimate objects, I see no indication through empirical or scientific means that such would be as strong or significant as what I have experienced from living people and their intentions.

While, from what I understand, the idea of mysticism is partly the notion that all things are one and then there is the scientific idea of energy being another form of matter, it is the misapplication of these concepts which can lead to dellusional thought such a deck "hating" someone, or a deck having "bad energy" that affects a reader, for example. I suggest that a person has more than enough personal "energy" to deal with any residual energy that might exist, without resorting to extraordinary means.

Also, it is not really that common a practice for a querent to hold a deck. I do not "attune" myself to a client and I do not need them to hold the deck (they can if they really want to). I "attune" myself to the Tarot and not the particular deck that I am using.

wolfmaiden58

Philip Harris said:
Since the question was asked about vibrations, that is the question to which I responded. Have you never entered a room and felt "bad vibes,' or concersely, entered a place and just felt happy, or sad, or depressed......... .One usually enters a state of calm before a reading, clearing extraneous thoughts and attuning oneself to the client. This is a sharing of vibrations-It is The String Theory in action-we are all one. To me, the Tarot opens a door in the mind that allows the flow of intuition.

Hi Phil!
couldn't agree more!!......having been attuned to Reiki I/II/III I can wholeheartedly agree with you...... I Reiki my cards, I Reiki my house, I Reiki my truck, I even Reiki my horn!! LOL!! Also, your reference to 'bad vibes' - intuitive empathy, to varying degrees.....we are all connected, and sometimes we have to shield ourselves against the negative (be this a person, a collective group of people, or a location) - and this can also be effective when performing readings for others in order not to imbue one's own emotional état d'esprit - in other words, be a pure and clear channel; and also to shield ourselves against any harmful or negative intent on the part of the querant. Just my HO!!

**Hugs**
wolfie

wolfmaiden58

full deck said:
Regarding your views, Mr. Harris — such has little to do with Tarot and certainly does does not take into account readers who hold public readings or reading in any number of places that are not a "sanctum". I personally wish you would keep your "vibrations" in a more mystical place, other than a Tarot thread, unless you wish to discuss your study of Tarot and how your beliefs play a part in such — which I would be most curious to hear about.

How unnecessarily rude and uncalled for! The gentleman was merely remarking upon the discourse of the thread.......many of us have valid experiences of negative energy from locations, and not just from people.

wolfmaiden

Crowqueen

full deck said:
Cool, Crowqueen — having a clean space and avoiding people who might not appreciate Tarot makes sense. My concern is that it is fallacious to talk about reading Tarot and "energy flow" and "energies" in the same breath. One reads Tarot, not energy flows and, as such, relies upon the readers abilities and not some external element to dictate capability.

Fair enough. The topic could be a little flexible though. Everyone has their own approach, cerebral or non-cerebral, and perhaps some people approach Tarot through "vibrations" and resonance rather than individual card readings. To keep it on-topic, I did a past life spread last night and I got awful cards: I didn't sit there analysing each card, but it was plain that the cards had picked up some intense feelings: I very rarely get the Devil in a spread for myself but not only that, most of the cards were swords and it was obvious that the motto "he to whom is evil done, does evil in return" was applicable to my past life, and I didn't want to sit there for half an hour analysing how despicably cruel I'd been to others sometime in the dim and distant past - I'll leave that to my regressionist! So I approached the Tarot through the energy it was giving off, rather than through any analytical approach, and boy did I clean those cards up quickly and work through a notebook list instead! I asked the question - who was I during WW2 - and I just hope and pray I wasn't a Nazi stormtrooper!

I guess though it is what you believe and what you feel. If you are happier with a more intellectual approach, then go for it.

Wolfie - I went to a conference last year, and was there for ten minutes before fleeing the building - 7000 people - not necessarily evil vibes, just so many sad, sad, sad vibrations that I couldn't stay for more than half an hour of a four-day-bash. (I packed up and went home the day after.) I don't see how anyone could have stayed there but I guess people had inured themselves to the negative energy that pervaded the conference centre. The year before even the weather had responded to the change in atmosphere there, started off gloomy and at the end the president of the organisation said to his audience, off-the-cuff - "well, the sun has really come out for us today!"

Sophie

I learnt to read everywhere and anywhere - bedrooms, sitting rooms, kitchens (good places, kitchens, if they are clean!), gardens, cafés, stations, airports, aeroplanes, back of a truck or land cruiser, in a tent, in disused warehouses, in a bomb shelter, in a bar, etc, etc. There are no bad places - only bad readers (by which I mean - readers who can't block out the world, who let it intrude on them).

All you need to do is make yourself and your querent as comfortable as you can, make sure you have a clean surface for your cards, quieten your mind, get into a meditative state by shuffling, and lay out the cards. The rest is your skill at work :)

Of course - we all have off days. Even in perfectly spiritual places and surrounded by candles and incense ;)

full deck

wolfmaiden58 said:
How unnecessarily rude and uncalled for! The gentleman was merely remarking upon the discourse of the thread.......many of us have valid experiences of negative energy from locations, and not just from people.
"honi soit qui mal y pense" yourself "wolf". I challenged Phil's comment *only* because of what he wrote, which really has little to do with reading Tarot and I certainly would never call him names. I suggest that it is not rude to challenge someone in a forum situation if they are posting things that are straying off-topic and very suspect in its thesis, which you yourself have now engaged in doing as well.

Sophie

full deck said:
Superstition perhaps? If this were true, my sock drawer would be quite evil.
I trust, then, that you do not conduct readings inside your sock drawer.