Postcards to Probationers -Yoga

ravenest

Aeon418 said:
Mercifully free of the superstitious clap-trap that infects many of the so called "classics" on the subject.

That's exactly how I see the begining of Postcards to Probationers.

ravenest

Always Wondering said:
Still, I am not quite sure if I should be simply observing my thoughts at first, or trying the use of a mantra. Also what to do about imagery? Treat it as thought? I guess it is vivid thought. The use of my mantra seems to provoke imagery, not quite sure what to do about that. :confused:

I started, not with a mantra but a visualisation - a burning candle, any intrusive imagry was put into the candle flame and burnt up.

But what are you trying to achieve here? Concentration? That can be achieved by approaching the problem (being that the mind WANTS to by busy, active, quick, seraching, changing subject and perspective). WE can say NO and try to force the ideas away ... or just not have them.

Or we can say - okay, that's the way it is and work with the mind's nature. This seems to be one of the more obvious approaches in western magick (and other systems like Tibetan Buddhism), let the mind scan and search in the temple or circle but it will always be bought back to the same vibrational concentration if the temple is set up properly with smell, touch, sight, symbol, colour, geometric form, etc. That's what the tables of correspondence are for. And that's why its important to get them so well drilled that they pass into the unconcious. (unless one conceeds that these vibrations have their own active influence).

One system controlls the mind's nature, the other system uses the minds nature.

E.g. I am going to meditate on a candle. I will not allow my mind to wander away from meditations on a candle, however because my mind is active I will use that ability instead of fighting it. I am meditating on the candle and feeling its light and heat, I might wonder how the candle is made, what specific type of light it is giving off, is it made from bees wax or parafine ... probably bees wax, bees make honey ... I would'nt mind a honey sandwich right now, how long since I had lunch?

At the first three dots the meditation was broken. ( Cut thyself upon thy forearm Fr. ravenest! )

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
Still, I am not quite sure if I should be simply observing my thoughts at first, or trying the use of a mantra.
Try focusing on the breath. You can mentally count to a certain number, such as 10, to help you maintain an even pace. Or you can try the first exercise in Liber Ru vel Spiritus.
First practice. --- Let him concentrate his mind upon the act of breathing, saying mentally, "The breath flows in", "the breath flows out", and record the results.
If you find your mind wandering around a lot, try focusing on the sensation the air makes as it enters and leaves the nostrils. If your mind begins to wander just gently bring it back and carry on. Don't criticize yourself for wandering attention. It creates even more disruptive streams of thought. Just acknowledge that your attention has drifted, and gently bring it back to the breath.
Always Wondering said:
Also what to do about imagery? Treat it as thought? I guess it is vivid thought.
Imagery in the mind is just another kind of "break" in concentration. Acknowledge it, but don't fight it. Simply bring your attention back to the breath.
Always Wondering said:
The use of my mantra seems to provoke imagery, not quite sure what to do about that.
If it's not working for you right now, drop it.

Always Wondering

ravenest said:
I started, not with a mantra but a visualisation - a burning candle, any intrusive imagry was put into the candle flame and burnt up.)
Very practical Revensest, I've expermented with a sword point for concentration but a candle works double duty.

ravenest said:
Or we can say - okay, that's the way it is and work with the mind's nature. This seems to be one of the more obvious approaches in western magick (and other systems like Tibetan Buddhism), let the mind scan and search in the temple or circle but it will always be bought back to the same vibrational concentration if the temple is set up properly with smell, touch, sight, symbol, colour, geometric form, etc. That's what the tables of correspondence are for. And that's why its important to get them so well drilled that they pass into the unconcious. (unless one conceeds that these vibrations have their own active influence).
Well, I am in a little trouble here. But I'm working on it. :)

ravenest said:
At the first three dots the meditation was broken. ( Cut thyself upon thy forearm Fr. ravenest!
Oh you are brave. I tried a rubber band, but it is not the same.

Aeon418 said:
Acknowledge it, but don't fight it. Simply bring your attention back to the breath.
This is working best for me right now.

Aeon418 said:
If you find your mind wandering around a lot, try focusing on the sensation the air makes as it enters and leaves the nostrils. If your mind begins to wander just gently bring it back and carry on. Don't criticize yourself for wandering attention. It creates even more disruptive streams of thought. Just acknowledge that your attention has drifted, and gently bring it back to the breath.
I found this very helpful. I think I will forget the props for a while. They are just too distracting for me. :|

Thank-you.

AW