Pricing???

blackroseivy

Well, I'm going to do a mini-self-publishing, & I'm at a loss as to pricing per deck. It is going to be my Ancient Celtic Tarot (also, when it's ready, The Tarot of the Enlightenment), & I am doing my own printing on a bubble-jet on matte paper - unless my local library can supply me with laser prints in time (I sure hope so!!). I am going to laminate together the card with the image, using one of those handy do-it-yourself decks (I will be using archival, super-strength spray adhesive that will then be heat-set), varnishing the images with UVA-B-protectant varnish, & then possibly gilding the edges (I'm working on how to do that one!). I will be making them pouches out of silk-lined linen, & hand-sewing (rather than stapling) the booklet together. I'll be using stamps with gold ink on both the pouch & the booklet with Celtic designs to decorate the front.

Phew! Maybe Umbrae could help me here... :D (Needless to say: VERY limited run...!!)

OH - I was gonna say, after watching eBay: Possibly $75 a hit?? To start at least...

rota

I'm applauding your run at self-publishing! Bravo! I'm sure all will work out for the best.

You've probably considered the subscription model, right? -- in which you take orders upfront for the deck, and guide your edition size by the number of subscribers? I'd be curious to know how you intend to gauge your limited-run edition size.

HudsonGray

Wow, that's a lot of detail work. More a work of art than a project, in a way. Minimum $65, but see what feels best when you have your first completed set in front of you and see how much time it took to get it all assembled. You may want to refigure the price after doing the first one. Don't lock yourself in on the cost till you've gone through all the steps.

blackroseivy

Thanx for the suggestions! Yes, I believe that something this labor-intensive needs to be worked through before a real initial pricing can be had. Thus far, I have 1 speaker for the deck - possibly more who were interested, at least 1 other person - unfortunately, I have forgotten their handle!! :( I'm hoping to have them come back when I put up an "advertisement" here.)

Thing about setting a specific # is, I would really like to give it the added exposure of selling it on eBay. I was thinking perhaps, 25 #'d copies. It's somewhere between the true art-deck & the true self-published; as such, it's not gonna be cheap, that's fer sher! I'd almost like to see what it might fetch on eBay 1st - or is that in some way unethical? Keep the suggestions comin', y'all!! :D

okieinalaska

Danubhe, Where can we see pictures of your cards? I love handcrafted things and your deck sounds like it will be beautiful.

Amy

blackroseivy

I have posted pics aplenty!! ;) Search for them both under my name, or "Ancient Celtic Tarot", or "Tarot of the Enlightenment" (which is painfully difficult & probably won't be finished for yet a long while...). When I get home tomorrow (with the folks this wknd), I will be happy to re-post, as I am always trying to garner interest in my deck(s)!! :D

HudsonGray

Danubhe, how has the production been going on your deck? Just curious.

blackroseivy

Hi! Still in the process of the cards & the text, I'm afraid. They are both exactly at the halfway-point with the 39th card.

I am going to be putting in a copy for copyright just as soon as I get them printed up. My question is, do I change the "tarotti" backs of my base cards, or not? They are perfectly coordinated with my concept; however, is it copyrighted to USG or is it copy-right free? I'm wondering in the event of future publication by a company such as say, Bear & Co. who I am very interested in possibly approaching with my concept. In which case, I should really have "original" backs, no?

I am now trying to figure out "proofs" for actual printing. I think I am going to change the main background to blue, however, & have the "flame" thingy going on in the present borders as contrast. (The cards aren't proportioned correctly, unfortunately - they will have a little extra top & bottom when I make them myself.)

I will be making handmade paper for binding the booklets, & they will be pigmented with woad. The pages will be a good vellum parchment. I will be hand-printing on them with Celtic-patterned stamps, in gold. The linen for the bags will also be woad-dyed, & gold-stamped. I plan on including a little fine-art surprise with this edition. (Also in woad! ;) )

I am thinking that the price will have to be $85 + shipping. I will determine shipping when I send off the 1 deck to the copyright office, & charge a flat rate, since I can't wait until they are ready to ship to take the orders. If that makes sense! :p

FearfulSymmetry

danubhe said:
I am thinking that the price will have to be $85 + shipping. I will determine shipping when I send off the 1 deck to the copyright office, & charge a flat rate, since I can't wait until they are ready to ship to take the orders. If that makes sense! :p

Hi Danubhe,

Maybe I can help a little with the shipping. I have been using USPS - think their rates are good and delivery has been exceptionally well done. Out of all the stuff I have shipped only 2 haven't made it within a few days, one had an address problem and eventually came back to me and the other just took a long, long time but did eventually get there and that was out of country. You can ship by priority mail andit is a flat rate of 3.85 for all you can shove into one of the envelopes or little boxes which they provide for free. It is cheaper to send regular mail but it takes longer, you need to provide your own packaging and you wont know exactly how much it is until you have an actual address.
You can ship Global priority for international orders and for the few countries that don't take it you can ship airmail. I have found most international addresses come out to $7 or $9.00.
Picking a flat rate is good. I have found the simpler you make things the better.

Hope this helps a little!

Marie
mary-el tarot
www.mary-el.com

HudsonGray

I've got this site bookmarked and use it all the time and it's been accurate (but remember they just had a postal increase on Monday this week, hopefully their site is updated!)

http://ircalc.usps.gov/

If you know the weight and the zip codes or international address, then you can tell in advance how much it'll cost you to mail.