Prophet fortune telling cards

Unmapped

Has anyone heard of this or know anything about it? My ex girlfriend bought it from a little antiques fair for me. It does look quite old, its in a nice little box decorated with the astrological symbols, horse shoes and a swatica. The fact that theres a swastica there is odd, why would they publish something like that after the war? I know it means good luck and eveything. i can take a picture if that helps.

Thanks

Dan

Elven

Hi Dan :)

Im not familiar with the deck - but maybe you could post a picture?

There maybe some information of the Symbolism of the deck in the LWB did it come with one? Or is there a card in the deck with an explaination?

Blessings
Elven x

Unmapped

Thanks for replying so soon Elven! Ok give me a sec, i'll upload some pictures... i'm pretty new at all this but will try and suss it out. The little white book just gives rules on how to use them, it does make them sound more like a game then anything else but it seems like this was to make it socially acceptable when they probably would have been used with some seriousness, thats my guess anyway. There are the same little pictures in the middle of all the cards, and 4 meanings are given on a corner of each of the card. They are things like "Your luck will change shortly" and "Great perseverance is required" so not incredibly insightful...

Elven

unmapped said:
They are things like "Your luck will change shortly" and "Great perseverance is required" so not incredibly insightful...

LOL!!! ... then again, sometimes 'less is more' and it may make for a great intuitive deck. Do you know when they were first printed and in what country?

Looking at my symbol book - I understand what you are refering to regarding timing of the decks release - but I suppose it depends on the artists interpretation and what the deck was used for initially.

From my Symbols book (not word for word but ...) The Swastika is a very old symbol and is found in almost all ancient and primitive cultures - Christian, Celtic, Hindu, pre Columbian ... and there are many variations, but basically it is the 'synthesis' of two symbols of independent forces. During the iron age it represented supreme diety. In agriculture it was associated with the compass, mechanically it is a rotation upun an axis, in the middle ages, the general thought was that it represented movement and the power of the sun, divided into four, representing four seasons and four directions.

When I travelled through Canyon de Chelly there were these Symbols on the walls - I took some photos of these. I was told by the Guide, that the first part of the Symbol was drawn - one leg - and to let those following know that poeple had passed that spot and the direction they had taken. The second party would complete the symbol by applying the other part of the leg.
This also fits with the Rock Art Symbols of the Greater Southwest which describe the symbol as transition, migration & friendship, and depending on the direction was either clockwise or counterclockwise.

Astrologically I think it represented the movement of the sun, planets and the stars - some clockwise and some counter clockwise too.

So in some way I see the Symbol representing - travel and passage, direction and guidance, migration, transition, friendship, half time - full cycle, mapping, movement.

What direction are the ones on your card - are the legs all facing the same direction, do they have any variations to them through the deck?

Blessings
Elven x

Unmapped

Wow thanks for all that information, I didn't realise how old the symbolism was. All the swastikas are going in a clockwise direction with all the legs going the same way. Its just on the back of every card. The only real clue I can find as to its origin is a copyright "D.L.R" on the little white book. So does anyone know who that might be? Just have no idea where they come from, I would guess from the language that they were British.

Just looking at the symbols a bit more, can you see the picture of the front of the box? There are 4 leaf clovers on there which are obviously good luck, but there is also cracked mirrors, aren't they supposed to be bad luck?

Hehe you are right some of the meanings aren't that bad. They do seem to be quite specific to each card, and don't feel like they have just been thrown together "fortune cookie" style. You could probably relate a tarot card to each card, but i'm probably looking too much into it, it is kind of a game deck after all.

Elven

Hi again :)

Sorry I had to go out but back again :)

I didnt get to see the cards - as I have such an old computer and it wouldnt bring the pics up :( Drats! :p

Im not familiar with the initials on the LWB - so Im not sure where they're from or who would have written?

It sounds very much like the type of deck you could read by doing a certain spread and then seeing which corners meet up with each other?

The other thing it reminded me of was a type of Lenormand or kipper deck?

I have some dreamcards which have pictures in all four corners, are numbered, and have a central picture. If the cards are layed out in a spread - you interpret the psychological aspect of the dream - very interesting.

If you do a reading it would be really interesting to se how they are interpreted.

Cracked Mirors? hmmm... Fractured reflection,Sharp words and possibly dangerous reactions, something ugly? sorry im raving - I'll look it up :p

Blessings
Elven x

Unmapped

Oh dear :( would it help if I posted the images on this site as I subscribed now? Well i'll do it anyway :) Yes it does sound more like the thing with the corners that meet up, I don't really know what lenormand or kipper decks are but i'll have a look and compare.

Hehe i'll try and get some friends together and do a reading. It says you need a group of people to use them in the instructions so will post the results when I do!

Still would love to know who made them and where they came from...

Attachments

• editIMAGE_00042.jpg
    editIMAGE_00042.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 302
  • editIMAGE_00044.jpg
    editIMAGE_00044.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 286

Deckworm

But how to use them?

I have a Prophet deck too, with no instructions either (maybe they don't exist??).
Can anyone publish them here, or indicate where to get them (provided they do exist)?