Psychic Tarot Oracle Deck

Asher

This just arrived in the mail, and I like it very much. A nice deck from Hay House with gilt edges in a 2 piece box. The cards were stuck together but with a bit of flexing, came apart quite well. They will hold up well to shuffling.

The deck has a Tarot-like structure, with 22 Major Arcana cards, 4 suits of 9 cards each, and the remaining 7 cards are the 7 chakras. All the cards are color coded: black borders for the Majors, red for the Physical suit, green for Emotions, indigo for Mental and violet for Spirit. The chakra cards are also black-bordered. Keywords appear on each card, but are not intrusive. The cards are 3 1/2 by 5 inches, with the images taking up 3 1/8 by 4 1/4 inches, making them quite easy to see clearly. The artwork is very beautiful and colorful.

Included with the deck is a 170 page guidebook, which includes information on all the cards, color, numerology and psychic development. Four spreads are also included: single-card, 3 card, 5 card and yearly forecast. A black & white illustration of each card appears in the book.

According to the book, "If one of the Chakra Cards is drawn, it's a reminder to be aware of that particular energy center and the qualities it represents, and apply that information accordingly to the reading of the cards or spread." No sample readings are included. Also, " This deck isn't meant to have reverse card interpretations...The purpose of the Psychic Tarot Oracle is to create positive experiences, not to reflect or heighten negative meanings."

I am very glad I got this deck and think I will work with it often. I think it will work equally well as tarot or oracle. I'm not sure if or how I will incorporate the chakra cards, though. It's a great set at a great price.

Asher

lunakasha

This sounds like an interesting deck to work with~ thanks for sharing your comments with us, Asher.

I see it available on Amazon, but there are no pictures other than the box cover. Would it be possible to scan a few cards and post them for us? I like the idea behind this deck, but I really need to see the artwork.

Thanks!
:) Luna

TarotDreamer

My deck arrived today...

Like Asher, my copy of the Psychic Tarot Oracle arrived today in the mail. I have been anxiously awaiting this deck, since I first became aware of it listening to John Holland's show on Hay House Radio online. I always wondered what kind of deck a psychic medium would create, and now I know!
Asher did a wonderful job of describing the deck. The cards are beautiful. I'm also glad that the art is cohesive (meaning one artist worked on all the cards); I have purchased some of Doreen Virtue's oracle decks, and found they are usually a collaboration of four different artists, and some cards always look more stunning than others. I can say that I like all the cards in this deck (how often can one say that?).
The book is good; I would have liked to see a sample reading or two, though, if for no other reason than to get a sense of Holland's reading style.
I just did a "New Deck Interview Spread" with the cards, and it was interesting. I found myself finding new interpretations for the cards based on the imagery, as well as the colors in the backgrounds of some of the cards.
I have never really resonated with any oracle decks, though I keep trying (my latest are Doreen Virtue's Angel Therapy Oracle Deck and the Angel Insight Pack). I think I will continue to work with this one however, because it seems to be more Tarot than Oracle (to me at least).
I'm with Asher: this is a great set at a great price.

James

sunflowr

Would love to see a few images.... :) I've had my eye on this deck awhile, but dont like to purchase w/o seeing some images.

motsa

Amazon.ca still hasn't received its copies so I'm still waiting on my order. Grrr.

Rev_Vesta

Amazon have said that it is on it's way....

can't wait to see it and start working with this deck.....

thank you for your comments.... makes it so exciting......

will let you know when it arrives....

Blessings

Vesta

Asher

Re-naming

In my excitement over receiving this deck yesterday, I neglected to mention that the Majors have been re-named. The entries in the book provide the usual titles. The new names are:

Fool -- New Beginnings
Magician -- Awareness
HP -- Intuition
Empress -- Fertility
Emperor -- Authority
Hierophant -- Wisdom
Lovers -- Harmony
Chariot -- Triumph
Strength -- Power
Hermit -- Solitude
Wheel of Fortune -- Destiny
Justice -- Balance
Hanged Man -- Sacrifice
Death -- Transformation
Temperance -- Patience
Devil -- Temptation
Tower -- Disruption
Star -- Hope
Moon -- Shadow
Sun -- Light
Judgement -- Truth
World -- Universe

Having read thru the book now, I wish Mr. Holland had explained why he eliminated the 10s and the Court cards. I'm curious about these things...

And (hopefully I will not ruin this deck for anyone), a celebrity sighting! When my partner looked through the deck, he said that the Empress looks like Celine Dion.

Still enjoying this deck very much!

Asher

avalonian

Asher said:
Having read thru the book now, I wish Mr. Holland had explained why he eliminated the 10s and the Court cards. I'm curious about these things...
Asher

I wonder if he left out the tens because they reduce to a one, so it goes one through to nine and then back to one again?

TarotDreamer

My theory...

My theory on why Holland left out the 10s has to do with the inclusion of numerology in the guidebook. In that section, he covers the meanings of the numbers 1-9. In numerology, a 10 would reduce to 1 (10=1+0=1).

And, as far as the Courts go, my guess is that most people starting out with Tarot find them challenging to interpret. Their exclusion may appeal to those readers.

James

Faolainn Storm

It wouldn't be the first deck to eliminate the courts. The Oracle Tarot (also published by Hay House) also eliminated the courts. If I remember correctly, the author decided that the courts were unnecessary and generally unreadable by most people. She was attempting to make the Tarot more modern and approachable (ie, she changed Death to Change and Devil to Bondage). This deck sound like it is doing the same thing. Making the Tarot bland and un-scary for those who are too frightened of the original }). It serves a purpose I suppose, but not for me.

FS