Q about Health Readings, etc...

Disa

My very best friend has asked me for a reading. Actually, when I asked her if she had a specific question, she listed about 7!!! They range from everything from marriage, happiness, money and health. Some are specific, some are general.

I'm pretty sure I can work most of them out into some type of workable spread, but I've not done health readings before and I'm not sure I even want to. She wrote to me (and don't be afraid to tell me if you see something bad) So it seems she's gone from completley ignoring the fact I've been learning tarot to putting ALL her faith in me overnight! Yikes!

She also wants a general health reading about each person her family!!There are 4- I wouldn't even begin to know how to start this.

I'm wondering if I should do a spread to address each of her Q's, or just find one similar to the Celtic Cross which would emcompass all of it together?

She lives quite a distance so I offered to do it by phone or email- she chose email.

I'm leaning towards doing one spread just on her marriage, and finding one spread that encompas all the rest of the Q's. I can find a spread on my own, just curious as to what you think- would you do them individaully or combined?

Thanks, Disa

Sulis

Hi Disa,

If you're not comfortable doing a reading about someone's health then my advice to you is 'DON'T DO IT'.
I don't do health reasons (despite being a nurse and a reflexologist) simply because I'm not a doctor and I think that you could end up reassuring someone that everything is OK healthwise when in fact it's not.
What if there was something seriously wrong with her that you didn't see and your reading stopped her from going to a doctor and caused her problem to be missed?

I certainly wouldn't do a health reading for other members of her family, mainly because of the health reading thing but also because I like my clients to focus their questions upon themselves.

When someone comes to me with multiple questions for an email reading (it's different in person because you can read about many different things with different spreads), I get them to choose the issue that's most important to them and I read about that.

I think the fact that you're even asking shows that you're uncomfortable with some of what she's asked and I think as a reader you need to have your boundaries firmly in place... If something crosses those boundaries and makes you feel uncomfortable then say no.. You don't have to read about anything that you don't want to read about.

Disa

I agree with you Sullis, everything you have said has crossed my mind. I had considered just saying, I don't do health readings-period. I'm really really leaning towards that, but- as far as the other Q's go, there are soo many and some ssoo specific, that, while I agree taking each Q and giving a reading would be great practice, (and she IS well aware it's practice,) she is also asking me to predict things, I can't possibly predict at this stage which is something else I'll have to get straight with her. My reading experience is still limited, and my psychic flashes of insite few and far between as far as cards go.

Anyway, the real Q- combine them into one big spread, or do them individually?

Thanks, Disa

MoonLitCrystal

I personally would break them up into their own little readings. I think that I just work better when there aren't so many cards staring at me at once. But if you enjoy big spreads, then you could put them together. It's whatever you are comfortable with.

If I ever do a reading that is very serious in nature (health, relationship questions that are "depending on the reading,") I always give the disclaimer that I am not a professional, and even if I were that still wouldn't mean that I would know absolutely everything that there is to know. It's not quite a "for entertainment purposes only" statement, but it does let people know that Tarot cards are not the only place that they can turn for the answers.

willowfox

Do a separate reading for each question asked, saves you from getting all muddled up, and keep each reading simple, just a few cards. The Celtic Cross will prove to be confusing and time consuming, avoid it.

Disa

Thanks you guys. It helps alot.

Disa

MareSaturni

Health quesions are complicated - not impossible, but complicated. If the tarot reader is also a doctor, it might work better. But if you know very little about health issues, then i'd advice not doing a deeper reading. I mean, you can tell your sitter if they are going to have problems, or if their health is fine, but cannot say exactly what they'll have. If you see there might be any problems, advice them to visit the doctor ofter, do check-ups and the like.

I always warn that i'm not a doctor, and if they have any serious worries, they should see one instead of atarot reader.

wytchwood

If it were me, I would do three things. First I would do as Sulis suggested: explain which questions you are not comfy with and why, and do away with any that are not appropriate.

Second, I would do a general reading with a 'slot' for each aspect of her lifeshe wants reading on.

Third: Do more detailed readings if they are necessary or any interesting situations come up in the cards.

She sounds quite demanding this friend!!

Zoe xx

triciababe

hi all
I personally dont read about health issues,i feel its a very cautious subject!

as if you did say for instance pick up on any ilness and you tell the client, then it wil sure play on their minds,.
i see it as being unethical!
we read for people to enlighten them and to give them hope for the future. to help guide and .give them a positve outlook!
not to go away, feeling worried and waiting for illlness to crop up!

it is best all round to keep it quiet if you do see any ilness, so as not to upset the client!
some people do have very wide imaginations, and wil worry themselves sick to the point where they wil bring it on themselves anyway!

FlyingWitch

I never do readings about health problems. Something could end up bad and I wouldn't like that. But if you choose to do it, always advice the querent to visit a doctor, always.