Queen of Pentacles and High Priestess

blu3

How would you go about interpreting these two cards if they came up on a reading side by side? The high priestess is ill-dignified, right? My question involved a storm/hurricane..so the hurricane is represented by the high priestess (ill) , but wouldn't the queen of pentacles hold this hurricane or slow it down a bit? as in, it won't be as damaging as it should be????

your answers will be appreciated, thank you!!

LovelyMissAries

I see the Queen of Pents unfortunately being the kind of woman who will stand under her doorway with her most favorite possessions during a time like that. I don't know about dignities but QoP + HP gives me a "locked and loaded" armed fire kind of vibe as far as the hurricane goes. That's just me though. Sorry this wasn't much help!

blu3

I see the Queen of Pents unfortunately being the kind of woman who will stand under her doorway with her most favorite possessions during a time like that. I don't know about dignities but QoP + HP gives me a "locked and loaded" armed fire kind of vibe as far as the hurricane goes. That's just me though. Sorry this wasn't much help!

Hmm, can you a explain it a bit more? What do you mean the qop will stand under her doorway? And about locked and loaded? Like, you mean it will be a strong hurricane??

starrystarrynight

For the way I read dignities, both of these cards would be dignified. Water and Earth are compatible elements, so their energies support each other. Further, to me, there is a quiet strength between the two of these cards--a sort of "support of the ages" manifesting in the real life world of today...years of conditioning, as it were, that brings the Queen/HP the inner knowledge or reality that she may have to bend, but she won't necessarily break.

But that is just what comes to me at this moment about this combination. :)

PAMUYA

I tend to agree with SSN, what makes you think the High Preistess is ill-dignified, is there something else in the reading? These two cards are saying to me that this storm will be very wet, get to high ground, and protect your assests.

blu3

Yes! I read it well enough now. I just assumed that earth would be stronger than water, but I understand now that they are friendly towards each other and are passive. I understand now :)

But are these cards strong with each other (hurricane wise), doesn't it seem a little weak since there is really no wind/air or other elements (the 3rd card was a page of pentacles). So that to me seems like the hurricane will weaken once it hits land...

I'm reading the news updates and so far I have been right. Hopefully, it will just be lots of water and nothing too strong or damaging.

LovelyMissAries

Hmm, can you a explain it a bit more? What do you mean the qop will stand under her doorway? And about locked and loaded? Like, you mean it will be a strong hurricane??

Sorry, I wrote that response really fast!

The Queen of Pents is practical and has a lot of dignity, cares for others, yes... but she's also representing the physical. Everything material. The High Priestess has that blanket laid out behind her (well, in the RWS version anyway) and next to the tangible Queen of Pentacles, it just reminded me of a doorway. You're supposed to stand under them in earthquakes, I don't know about hurricanes. As for the 'locked and loaded', it's kind of an out-of-left-field way of saying she will be prepared for it when it comes. She's a sturdy character who's probably been through something like this before hence being ready.

Thirteen

Earthquakes and Big Waves

But are these cards strong with each other (hurricane wise), doesn't it seem a little weak since there is really no wind/air or other elements
If it were the Queen/Cups, you'd be right. But the HPS isn't a Water element--though water is involved in that card. She's the Moon, remember? And an ill-dignified moon is crazy. The moon controls the tides, the sea, the very movement of all water whether there is air or not and one that's ill-dignified means that those waves are going nuts. All the lack of an Air card means is that things won't get blown down by wind.

And have you considered that the Queen/Pents might relate to the recent Earthquakes?

Earthquakes and big waves. Sounds pretty accurate to me.

blu3

If it were the Queen/Cups, you'd be right. But the HPS isn't a Water element--though water is involved in that card. She's the Moon, remember? And an ill-dignified moon is crazy. The moon controls the tides, the sea, the very movement of all water whether there is air or not and one that's ill-dignified means that those waves are going nuts. All the lack of an Air card means is that things won't get blown down by wind.

And have you considered that the Queen/Pents might relate to the recent Earthquakes?

Earthquakes and big waves. Sounds pretty accurate to me.

Interesting !! :D But how come I read so many things that state the High Priestess is water element?? *Ahh confused*

Hm, it wasn't really an earthquake here in NY - it was more of an aftershock , nothing too damaging, but I see what you mean.

I also got the page of pentacles in the same 3 card reading. My interpretation of these was that it (High Priestess=Hurricane Irene to me) wasn't going to be as damaging (queen of pentacles) as they state it would and it's going to diminish (Page of Pentacles). So far I'm keeping up w/ the news and she seems to be weakening...I'm keeping my fingers crossed =)

Edited to add: This is one of the sites that I read regularly and it states HP is water element

"Actually, both the Magician and the Fool are attributed to Air while the High Priestess is attributed to Water - and it might be perfectly okay to simply go with these connections.

On the other hand, these three Major cards are often seen as exceptions from the rule for the same reason as the Aces: their connection to Kether. If you look at the Tree of Life and watch the Paths coming from Kether, you will find that the Fool goes from Kether to Chokmah, the Magician from Kether to Binah and the High Priestess takes the long way down from Kether to Tiphareth.

It is hard to say which way is 'right' and as so often in Tarot there is a bit of both. I usually leave it up to the cards to decide - if for example the High Priestess is accompanied by another Water trump and several Minor Water cards I definitely won't ignore her Watery side." --- corax.com/tarot (I hope this isn't against the rules, if it is I will remove it)

PAMUYA

The High Priestess has a lot to do with water. A new moon, high tide, more water. All the classes that I have gone to have taught that HP's element is water. Water is related to the moon and it's phases. But when it come to tarot, at least what I have been told here, your own intuition over rides anything you are taught.