Queen of Wands as pregnancy?

Pixienoire

This is a first for me, and so I thought I would post this and see if anyone thought the same thing. I was reading on a site earlier that "The Queen of Wands is one of the most fertile (metaphorically and literally) and feminine/womanly energies in the Tarot deck." I have never seen the Queen of Wands referring to pregnancy before. It's always been either the Queen of Cups, or the Queen of Pentacles. I've even read before of the Queen of Swords referring to early pregnancy. But I have never seen the Queen of Wands refer to pregnancy before. Is this a common thought, or is this one of the more unusual interpretations?

Nytebugg

in some ways it makes sense. wands being sexual and women having greater sex drive right before or during ovulation.

starrystarrynight

It's not one that I would have thought of. I see the Queen of Pentacles as the fertile, earthy, physical-plane queen.

The Queen of Wands is hot, passionate and a dynamo in many ways (so she could handle motherhood without problem), but she just isn't the first one I would think about for pregnancy.

Thirteen

Not Usually, No

You will find a wide variety of interpretations by tarot "scholars" on card meanings, especially given the number of online sites where anyone can offer their opinion (I include myself in this). [Side note: this interpretation of the Queen/Wand is not given by Waite or Crowley, the usual touch-stone scholars of modern decks, suggesting that is it more personal than historical]. Every one of these tarot scholars is entitled to their opinion. And some of them have strong associations for cards, meaning that if they assign "fertility" to Queen/Wands, then she will mean that to them when they do readings, even if it doesn't mean that usually or at all to any other reader.

And all Queens are technically the "mothers" of their suits.

That said, from all I've read and know, the Queen/Wands is not emblematic of "womanly" fertility meaning pregnancy. She is almost always a card of womanly energy and passion, meaning she can get a rise out of any man (or woman) and an enthusiastic response. This could certainly lead to pregnancy, but it doesn't have to. A woman only needs a turkey baster and a willing donor to get pregnant, not an ability to lure in and satisfy many lovers.

Most of us readers tend to agree that the pregnancy cards are ones that are more "womb-like" as compared to wands/sword phallic symbols. Meaning Cups (ace, page, queen) and Pentacles (queen), sometimes the HPS and most especially the Empress.

Of course, the one thing the Queen/Wands could say to a woman who wants to know if she's pregnant is to take that magic wand, namely a pregnancy test stick, and see. It's better than playing guessing games with the cards ;)

PAMUYA

Pixienoire said:
This is a first for me, and so I thought I would post this and see if anyone thought the same thing. I was reading on a site earlier that "The Queen of Wands is one of the most fertile (metaphorically and literally) and feminine/womanly energies in the Tarot deck." I have never seen the Queen of Wands referring to pregnancy before. It's always been either the Queen of Cups, or the Queen of Pentacles. I've even read before of the Queen of Swords referring to early pregnancy. But I have never seen the Queen of Wands refer to pregnancy before. Is this a common thought, or is this one of the more unusual interpretations?
My first thought was that this is the Queen that would be on birth control. ;) all kidding aside Thirteen makes the point perfectly.

Pixienoire

My first thought after posting this was that I can definitely see the Queen of Wands as being the woman who initiated the action to BECOME the pregnant woman. That is about as close as I can personally see her getting to pregnancy.

I think that I am one of the few who does NOT see the Queen of Cups, and the High Priestess as being pregnant.. Those, at least for me are almost always heralding the arrival of impending menstruation. I think because the Queen of Cups is an emotional person, and to me represents PMS, then the High Priestess I've always seen closely related to the moon, just like our womanly cycles.

willowfox

The Queen wands flaunts it, she's the sexy one, she's the adventurer but she is not atypical of being a fertile woman.

Fire is exciting but is it fertile?

Thirteen

willowfox said:
Fire is exciting but is it fertile?
I'd think it would have more to do with hot flashes. If any card is going to be cougar, Queen/Wands would be it.

Nytebugg

maybe she isn't pregnant yet but is hot to get pregnant. peeing on lots of little test strips and taking her body temperature every day. Driven to get pregnant.

willowfox

Queen of wands is not very maternal at all.