Question about "your reading" rule.

Cenz

Hi everyone, i hope you guys don't mind me posting a question that has been bugging me for a while. I'm still a beginner, please pardon the stupid question :D

In the "Your Reading" section of this forum, you are required to include your own interpretation before posting, what's the reason behind this?
Won't it be even more 'see, tarot knows everything!' if we don't include our own interpretation? Also, will my interpretation cloud the response from others?

I know there must be a reason why we have that rule, just really curious what it is. :)

kellyshay

I think its because to avoid other people coming on this site just to get a free reading....

Grizabella

We'd get inundated with free reading requests if we were to change the rule. Even as it is, there are tons of people who dive right in and post their spreads without reading the rules or giving their own interpretations. We're all here to learn and interpreting our own cards before someone else can help us is a lot more helpful than just letting everyone else interpret for you.

Zephyros

I agree with Grizabella, that forum is a learning forum, and supplying your own interpretations is part of that. Opinions always vary, and that is also a way of learning and promoting discussion. The purpose of that forum is not to be amazed by Tarot.

Chiriku

Thousands of people read the original post and try to come up with their own interpretations of the cards. Then, they check their own interpretation against that of (a) the original poster, who is in the position to know most of the pertinent details of the situation, and (b) the other posters in the thread, who have the advantage of being removed from the situation and thus perhaps seeing some things with a clearer sight.

As a result, all involved have the benefit of multiple interpretations from multiple sources. This is the spirit of "learning," which is the reason why that sub-forum exists.

However, I do think it would be useful for the OP to have at their disposal while composing posts a function to hide certain parts of the text until the reader is ready to read it (sort of like the "Spoiler!" text-coverings some movie review sites provide, so that a reader can scroll their mouse over the hidden text when they're ready to find out the spoiler-info about a movie and then read it.)

This would be useful in that third-party learners could first formulate their own interpretation without being influenced by the OP's self-interpretation, while still enforcing the rule that all OPs interpret their own reading within the original post.

Cenz

The free reading part makes a lot of sense! Also about making it as a learning forum, that never really cross my mind! Thank you so much for all the clearing it up! :D

Cenz

I think that would be very useful! great idea!

Thousands of people read the original post and try to come up with their own interpretations of the cards. Then, they check their own interpretation against that of (a) the original poster, who is in the position to know most of the pertinent details of the situation, and (b) the other posters in the thread, who have the advantage of being removed from the situation and thus perhaps seeing some things with a clearer sight.

As a result, all involved have the benefit of multiple interpretations from multiple sources. This is the spirit of "learning," which is the reason why that sub-forum exists.

However, I do think it would be useful for the OP to have at their disposal while composing posts a function to hide certain parts of the text until the reader is ready to read it (sort of like the "Spoiler!" text-coverings some movie review sites provide, so that a reader can scroll their mouse over the hidden text when they're ready to find out the spoiler-info about a movie and then read it.)

This would be useful in that third-party learners could first formulate their own interpretation without being influenced by the OP's self-interpretation, while still enforcing the rule that all OPs interpret their own reading within the original post.

Chiriku

I think that would be very useful! great idea!

I don't know who does the website development, but I hope they're reading.

Kosjitov

This, I would like very very very very much.

Grizabella

Well, since we're all adults here, we do have the option whether we want to read the OP's interpretation and the interpretations of everyone else before we put our heads to the task of interpreting. That's what we've done for years----many of us don't read anything but the original post, and if we don't want to read the original interpretation, we just don't. There are also many of us who prefer having a little bit of background information, anyway, and it's not cheating. I think having some input beforehand is a more efficient way of reading and that the querent benefits more from it. You don't go to your doctor and say, "Hey, figure out why I'm here. That's what I pay you for."