Question from a beginner

AquarianGoddess

First, thanks to Thirteen for posting all the interpretations! I really find them valuable.

Since I'm very new to tarot, I would like your opinions of the validity of the readings. Is the outcome card, the be all to end all? What percentage would you give the accuracy? In astrology, nothing is ever 100% and sometimes can be only 40%. Is tarot the same?

In the past three months, I've had two tarot readings (done by the same person) who was 100% accurate in speaking of past events of my life (people, places, etc), but zero % accurate on predictions. Why would that be? She's been reading for over 20 years and knows her stuff, so I don't doubt her knowledge.

I look forward to hearing your views.

MeeWah

Speaking from personal experience, & from what I've seen from readings for others, the accuracy of Tarot is high though I've not tried to rate it in terms of percentages. Nothing is written in stone, so the outcome card does not have the last word on a situation. That card may even refer to a new development, which opens another area of potential. In addition, the purpose of Tarot is not so much to "predict" as much as it is to offer insight & guidance. Due to the information received, one may make a different choice which may well change the outcome.
It seems the element of time is involved, which is tricky to accomodate. Two readings within a span of 3 months is not too often, but close enough that perhaps not enough time has elapsed to prove or disprove a reading, barring any event which occurrs within that timeframe that would either support or deny apparent trends in either reading.
For example, I understood the Celtic Cross to span from about 6 to 10 days. In actuality, I've seen its impact anywhere from the same day to within a few months; in one case, two years. If one is headed in a certain direction, the length of time involved is not such a major factor unless one is in a hurry or something hinges on time as depending upon conditions, an event may occur sooner or later. (For the purpose of this discussion, I am not taking into account the concept that all time is now.)
Time is fluid. What we conceive of as the past acts as history or what has already been "recorded" & is accessible. The future, however, is like a blank page; highly fluid, subject to the minutest change. Trends in life are subject to a myriad of variables including that of chance.
It's entirely possible that what information or insight you received from each of the readings caused you to make choices that changed the trend of things in your life so that the corresponding possibilities--or futures--changed accordingly.
It could also be that the particular reader's talent is in accessing prior information or history.

AquarianGoddess

Mee Wah,

Thank you for your clairification on this issue. Your explanation makes a lot of sense. In astrology, "transits" last for a period of time and it's easy to say something will transpire between this date and that date.

As I'm learning,tarot isn't all that clear on timing. Although the reader did give me specific times of upcoming events, none has come to fruition (at least not yet and the time has passed).

Actually, the second reading confirmed much of what was predicted in the first reading (although she didn't remember what she stated in the first reading, as she has a very large client base). So I'm left wondering why at least a portion of the predictions haven't materialized.

The reading was really not spirtually based, but more of a what has passed and what's coming up.

bec

In my oppinion we can only "predict" the future in what might be and become , and the second you?ve become aware of the posibillities and been shown what to look out fore, you?re already starting to change the energies from the reading. So she might actually have been more accurate than you?ll ever know - as MeeWah says, nothing is written in stone :)

catlin

Hi, Merry Meet and Welcome,

As to the validity of predictions, my predictions are normally correct to 95%. This is no showing-off, just the expierience of my intuitive readings.

Most of the predictions happen in 1-3 months. I refuse to do long-term readings (although I do a 12-month-spread usually on my birthday or on Samhain just to check the main tendancies for the year to come) for others because time is fluid and each second influences the tides of time.

starangel

Hi Aquarian Godess!

I am a beginner to tarot as well and, as funny as it might sound, I started being interested to prove to myself that this is all vodoo or something that can just not work.
About four months ago I had a reading done by a highly recommended women, but she didn t tell me what I "wanted" to hear. So I went out to find books and other infos!
To make it short now, the more I learned the more I started believing and little things she said came true. Now I am totally into tarot, trying to learn more every day. Just a few days ago one huge prediction came true. Someone I don t know became pregnant by a guy who was close to me when I had the reading done.
I think "WOW" this is amazing!!!!

I think try not so much to predict the future, but look at it as a mirror to your soul and for the feelings of people close to you. And don t look at the time, it may happen whenever, even after months, because big things need time!

All the best to you...and have fun learning!

Starangel

AquarianGoddess

As to the validity of predictions, my predictions are normally correct to 95%. This is no showing-off, just the expierience of my intuitive readings. Most of the predictions happen in 1-3 months.

Catlin,

Do you read over the phone, Internet, by email? I'm ready to give this one more try with someone different.

mr.cleo

Quote:starangel (13 Nov, 2001 00:40):
Just a few days ago one huge prediction came true. Someone I don t know became pregnant by a guy who was close to me when I had the reading done.
I think "WOW" this is amazing!!!!

Wow, I never knew you could make predictions THAT detailed in Tarot. That reader must be super good. I've been learning the tarot for only a few months. I do some readings for my friends, and they amaze me when they say how accurate I am. However I do look like a nicompoop looking up the definitions of cards while doing the reading.

starangel

[/quote]

Wow, I never knew you could make predictions THAT detailed in Tarot.

HI!
Neither did I think that could happen! My reader was highly recommended, she did have an article about herself in a popular astrological magazine...thats where I found her.
What really strikes me though is the fact that I didn t want to believe and things still happened even after a while!!

starangel

raeanne

I don?t think tarot can give this kind of detail unless someone is already a gifted psychic. My feelings are that this person was using the tarot cards as a way to focus and then tapping into her other psychic gifts.