Question regarding Thoth deck.

TheElderSign

Would anyone be so kind as to tell me where I might purchase a Thoth deck? I've been looking around for quite some time and all of my searching has led to nothing. I heard rumors that they were discontinued. Thank you

TheElderSign

Thank you =D

Hathor

Amazon has them, and I've started to see them again in Barnes and Nobles and Borders.

Grigori

There were some supply issues recently, due to a copyright dispute. They are back on USG's website now also, and you should be able to get them anywhere that stocks USG decks.

tarotreader2007

A copyright dispute between USG and who? AG Muller?

I would be absolutely FLOORED if they ever discontinued the Thoth...I might have a moment of silence for it even lol it being such a popular, influential, and key to the history of tarot, would make justify having a bandage on my chin from it hitting the floor the minute I heard that.

Grigori

tarotreader2007 said:
A copyright dispute between USG and who? AG Muller?

Between the OTO who inherited much of Crowley's intellectual material and a few of the publishers, USG included. I don't know much details, but generally assume folks had to stop selling it until they paid royalites to the OTO who won the copyright.

tarotreader2007

Grigori said:
Between the OTO who inherited much of Crowley's intellectual material and a few of the publishers, USG included. I don't know much details, but generally assume folks had to stop selling it until they paid royalites to the OTO who won the copyright.

Oh wow, that's...disparaging. How long does something even stay in copyright, obviously and particularly the Thoth deck in this instance? Obviously the copyright can be inherited, but is there a "time limit" or can it get renewed?

isthmus nekoi

It's complicated. There is a set term (the trend of which keeps extending) after the death of the author. If you Google, you can probably find exact number of years as that depends on a few factors. Yes, copyright can be renewed. Generally, if a work is making a lot of $$ for a corporation, the impetus to keep it from entering the public domain is strong. Not sure how much revenue the deck generates, but relative to other decks, I imagine it to be significant.

Ross G Caldwell

As far as I know, the US court case which recognized the Caliphate OTO of Grady McMurtry, over the claims of the SOTO of Marcello Motta (1985), is not recognized anywhere but the US, and has not been tested internationally.

The general copyright laws recognize death of the author plus 70 years (it varies up to a hundred years in some places, but US and Europe are all death plus 70), so the heirs of the author own it until those 70 years are up. Big money, like Disney, got it extended to 100 years for Mickey Mouse, but I'm not sure if that amendment to US copyright is generally applicable.

In any case, the US OTO hasn't tried to sue AG Müller as far as I know for publishing the Thoth.