Questionable Methods #583 - The Conundrum!

Melanchollic

Here is an interesting method I've been getting great enjoyment out of, and surprisingly so have quite a few querents.

It is called The Conundrum, and it is a bit different than my usual fare.

I use only the trumps for this, but it could be extended to the pips and courts as well.

Step 1 - Prepare a 'definitive' list by assign 3 to 5 nouns to each card based on your take on the card. Also assign 3 to 5 verbs for each card.

Example - The Emperor

Nouns - Nobility, Honesty, Authority, Power.
Verbs - To Rule, To Defend, To Make Noble.

Step 2 - Find a querent. Have the querent draw three cards. Using the key words, construct a sentence -

Card 1 = subject
Card 2 = verb
Card 3 = object

Example - The Fool - The Emperor - The World

"Folly makes noble heaven."

Try to make it sound good.

"By Folly, Heaven is ennobled."

This is a "conundrum". Here is the perfect reply to the question, "Should I introduce my sister to Mr. Carter?" :D

Step 3 - Make your spiel. (I actually do this before the cards are drawn.)

"There are many ways to read Tarot. This one is one of the most profound, as the cards speak directly to you, and only to you. Only you can understand this message. I can not know what the cards are telling you. This message is for you, and you alone. I am merely translating the images into words for you. This message may not make any sense to you at first, and may require you reflect on what it means. No one has ever failed to come to the realization of the cards' message. It may be immediately obvious, or it may take a day or two of careful reflection to understand. Most people will 'get' the message within a week, usually less. In a few rare instances it has taken as long as three weeks. Call me as soon as you understand the message, or if you haven't understood within a week, call me and we'll work through it together."

Step 4 - Give the querent his "conundrum".

Most querents will give you a slice of "WTF?". Reassure them! Have total confidence! Tell them, "You'll understand soon." And oddly enough, they will. :eek:

This method sets off an interesting effect in the querent's mind, and they almost always have an epiphany. It's truly interesting to see how people solve their own dilemmas by reflecting on these conundrums. Conundrums seem to work a bit like Koans (Zen riddles).

Throw a few out there and see. It's worth it just to watch the process. Believe it or not, I've gotten more rave reviews, and recommendations with this method than any other I've used, even though I'd not really read the cards at all.

Please try a few and post your "results" here, especially if it goes horribly wrong! })

Bernice

Step 1 - Prepare a 'definitive' list by assign 3 to 5 nouns to each card based on your take on the card. Also assign 3 to 5 verbs for each card.

Example - The Emperor

Nouns - Nobility, Honesty, Authority, Power.
Verbs - To Rule, To Defend, To Make Noble.

Step 2 - Find a querent. Have the querent draw three cards. Using the key words, construct a sentence -

Card 1 = subject
Card 2 = verb
Card 3 = object

Example - The Fool - The Emperor - The World

"Folly makes noble heaven."

Try to make it sound good.

"By Folly, Heaven is ennobled."
Or...... "Folly Rules the World" ! :laugh:

I like this Mel. In fact, assigning verbs & nouns to the cards demonstrates just how versatile this approach is. Love it. Gonna have a go. :)

Bee :)

Melanchollic

Bernice said:
Or...... "Folly Rules the World" ! :laugh:

Excellent! :love: It's good to have a nice range of meanings even for yourself (within the parameters of how you see the card) to have a little leeway to play with and give the conundrum a slight 'fit' to the querent's inquiry, avoiding anything too literal of course, as that would defeat the purpose of a conundrum. ;)

Moonbow

This reminds me of a fun time I had a few years ago with a modern deck (sorry Mel), I won't say which one but it had keywords and the reading was by keyword, in any order. Its quite a fun way to read with Tarot.

Melanchollic

Moonbow* said:
This reminds me of a fun time I had a few years ago with a modern deck (sorry Mel)...

No need to apologize. We've all had our little indiscretions in our younger years, when the over powering desires and passions of youth got the better of us!! :D

Sherryl

This technique sounded like great fun, so I whipped up a list of nouns and verbs. Since it's late at night and no querants are available, I asked my alter ego "How can we get back on track?"

The answer: Fool-Delusion, Lovers-Enmeshes, Temperance-passivity.
"Delusion enmeshes us in passivity".

So then I asked, "How can we break through our delusions?"

The answer: Wheel-Destiny, Sun-Fulfills, Death-Endings
"Destiny fulfills itself in endings".

Truly a conundrum!

Sherryl

Melanchollic

Sherryl said:

Truly a conundrum!

"Focus on it. The message will appear like a flash of light!"

(Said with complete confidence!!) :cool5:

Bernice

The answer: Wheel-Destiny, Sun-Fulfills, Death-Endings

Truly a conundrum!
I wonder...........The Means will determine the Ends?

Bernice

No querent here. So I asked "What do I need to do in order to expand my life-style"

Fool - World - Temperence

'Tis Foolish to include Everything in a perfect Equilibrium.

?? thinking.........

Moonbow

That's a tricky one Bee, and I mixed up cards 2 and 3 :) I'm such a rebel!

How about "Freedom Controls Everything".

Fool = Freedom
World = Everything
Temperance = Control

A bit of an conundrum in itself.. "freedom controls..."

What say you Mel?