Questions About the Moon

Nico Luna

I've actually had questions myself about The Moon card. This might be the appropriate place to bring it up (since we're at a standstill about the original post).

It's my understanding that The Moon represents insecurities, fear, anxiety, illusion, etc. which are all negative attributes. this just doesn't resonate with me. To me, the moon is positive, it represents new beginnings, renewal of energy, opportunity, etc. you know, kinda like our real moon.

I'm really struggling with interpretation of this card because I can't see anything negative about it for the life of me (maybe it's because I'm using Marseille and it doesn't have the best imagery).

Help! Please!

Thirteen

The Moon is an Enchanted Forest: There's both Magic and Wolves

It's my understanding that The Moon represents insecurities, fear, anxiety, illusion, etc. which are all negative attributes. this just doesn't resonate with me. To me, the moon is positive, it represents new beginnings, renewal of energy, opportunity, etc. you know, kinda like our real moon.
First, you need to try and separate your feelings about the Moon in the sky with the Moon card in the tarot. The Moon card has certain words associated with it so that when it comes up in a reading, you will get a certain message. These do not negate how you feel about the Moon in the sky, or the Moon as a symbol from any other source.

Now as for the negative words—they often give readers the wrong idea of the Moon card ;) It's not totally negative. Here's how to think of the Moon card. When you are awake and you get messages from the subconscious, from your creative side, from your deepest emotions or primitive self, or from the supernatural or psychic, you have a filter: Your intuition. You may say, "I'm not sure about this person, they make me uneasy, but my intuition isn't screaming at me to run, so maybe it's just nerves." Or you may say, "My intuition is telling me to avoid this person."

The High Priestess card represents this filter, this intuition. It gives you secret knowledge—whether what you're getting from the subconscious/supernatural/emotional part of yourself can be trusted.

BUT when you go to sleep, or into a psychic trace, or enter into certain rituals or creative phases, you step around the High Priestess and past that veil behind her. You actually ENTER into the subconscious/supernatural/emotional wilderness of the Moon. That is what the Moon Card represents. An enchanted forest right out of the fairytales. And like in a fairytale, you're on your own. Now, on your travels through this fantastic land, you might find creative inspiration—the kind that allows painters and poets to create masterpieces. Or you may experience powerful emotions to transform a simple date into the most romantic night of your life. Or you may have amazing dreams or insights. Or you might meet scary stuff—-really scary. There is magic here, but also wolves.

But the thing is, with no guide, no High Priestess (intuition) to help you, you won't know which of these are real and which illusion. You can easily be tricked. Like a kid in a bed seeing the shadow of a tree and thinking it a monster. We've all been lost in some sort of enchanted forest in our lives, and we remember how fascinating but scary it was; how difficult to tell what was safe and what wasn't. That's the Moon Card. It doesn't mean it's all bad. Some of it is AMAZING and can't be gotten any other way but to step past that veil.

But if you do, willingly or otherwise, you will have to deal with illusion, trickery, deceit and fear. That's part of the package deal when you leave Earth and travel to the Moon.

Nico Luna

First, you need to try and separate your feelings about the Moon in the sky with the Moon card in the tarot. The Moon card has certain words associated with it so that when it comes up in a reading, you will get a certain message. These do not negate how you feel about the Moon in the sky, or the Moon as a symbol from any other source.

Now as for the negative words—they often give readers the wrong idea of the Moon card ;) It's not totally negative. Here's how to think of the Moon card. When you are awake and you get messages from the subconscious, from your creative side, from your deepest emotions or primitive self, or from the supernatural or psychic, you have a filter: Your intuition. You may say, "I'm not sure about this person, they make me uneasy, but my intuition isn't screaming at me to run, so maybe it's just nerves." Or you may say, "My intuition is telling me to avoid this person."

The High Priestess card represents this filter, this intuition. It gives you secret knowledge—whether what you're getting from the subconscious/supernatural/emotional part of yourself can be trusted.

BUT when you go to sleep, or into a psychic trace, or enter into certain rituals or creative phases, you step around the High Priestess and past that veil behind her. You actually ENTER into the subconscious/supernatural/emotional wilderness of the Moon. That is what the Moon Card represents. An enchanted forest right out of the fairytales. And like in a fairytale, you're on your own. Now, on your travels through this fantastic land, you might find creative inspiration—the kind that allows painters and poets to create masterpieces. Or you may experience powerful emotions to transform a simple date into the most romantic night of your life. Or you may have amazing dreams or insights. Or you might meet scary stuff—-really scary. There is magic here, but also wolves.

But the thing is, with no guide, no High Priestess (intuition) to help you, you won't know which of these are real and which illusion. You can easily be tricked. Like a kid in a bed seeing the shadow of a tree and thinking it a monster. We've all been lost in some sort of enchanted forest in our lives, and we remember how fascinating but scary it was; how difficult to tell what was safe and what wasn't. That's the Moon Card. It doesn't mean it's all bad. Some of it is AMAZING and can't be gotten any other way but to step past that veil.

But if you do, willingly or otherwise, you will have to deal with illusion, trickery, deceit and fear. That's part of the package deal when you leave Earth and travel to the Moon.

This is super helpful! Thank you for your insight!