Quotes that 'hit the spot'

Milfoil

You know, sometimes when we read a spiritual quote and it has the perfectly summed up something meaningful that time in our lives. I wondered about sharing some and this one caught my eye today:

Know yourself. Don’t accept your dog’s admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.” – Ann Landers

and I thought of a friend and how this worked the other way around in their house, she dotes on the dog but the dog pretty much ignores her and treats her like his underling. Perhaps dogs can be a good litmus test though?

Milfoil

Another one I love is:

Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it.” – Buddha

not as easy as it sounds though.

gregory

One of my favourites, which I DO find genuinely useful, is from a children's book:

"Hope for the best and prepare for the worst," said Little My.

Recurs throughout the Moomins: Tove Jansson

Zephyros

I would guess my favorite is my own signature. It's there to remind me to be humble in my convictions, that there is no one truth in the world but many, and that being too sure of what you believe in to the point of not listening to others is a form of aggression.

Perhaps trite and Star Wars but it works for me. :)

Anna

One of my current favourites is the one in my signature. I love the idea of us being able to move beyond social expectations and the trappings of the world we live in, and to truly meet each other with the freedom to be exactly who we really are.

I also love this from the Rocky Horror Picture Show, "Don't dream it, be it"

Chronata

These are all pretty wonderful!

Mine are from a song by a local band called the Bad Examples...
The song is called "Fools Will Try"

"If you fall, don't feel that you've failed
You always find your feet again."

And this is followed by the next line...which used to be my signature:
"And if you rise with a smile on your face
The world will marvel at your grace"

The whole song is pretty awesome actually, but these always stand out for me.

tarotcognito

From "Dead Poets' Society" -

Carpe diem! Seize the day! Gather ye rosebuds while ye may!

Make your lives extraordinary! :thumbsup:

Disa

Well, I don't know how spiritual these are but they help me get through.

This was in an email I received a few weeks ago at just the time I needed to hear it. I don't know who wrote it, it was just one of many lines in a forwarded email. I printed it out and keep it put up on the wall by my desk at work and read it every time I feel stressed. (It helps with family stuff, too :)

"Life isn't what it's supposed to be, it's what it is."

And the one I've had in my signature for all these years is just a reminder for me that I don't live in the past anymore and it doesn't necessarily define the choices I make today. I spent many years getting over it and now it's gone. That time is over so let it be. It's from Tommy Lee's band Methods of Mayhem. The song is Metamorphosis.

Winterchild

Signatures?

Where are the signatures?

My favourite quotes are:

I am a human being not a human doing

Blessed are the cracked for it is they who let in the light

and one that made a huge difference to me recently, was something a friend said to me from the other side of the planet..... I was feeling down and blocked and unsettled.... he said... dont be unhappy...

Life is HUGE

That really resonated!

cherryberry

Rumi, time and time again :)

here one I click with a lot since some time:
“You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life?”

Beauty :)