Re: FIRST CLASS MAILIING IN USA...

cardlady22

Tansey said:
Recently I have had my packages opened. I live in a very uptight religious community and the slightest hint of "witchcraft" could get the local natives looking through your mail,trash, or yard.,

How nice of the God-fearing citizens to commit federal crimes to "protect" you. I wonder if they justify it by saying the number of packages one receives is cause for inspection. I believe I would get a post office box for the shortest amount of time possible and see if it stops.

Debra

I'm curious what country Tansy lives in.

Debra

Well shoot. You sure have my sympathy.

Tampering with the mail IS a federal crime. And working for the post office is a good job with good benefits. Bet there aren't many of those in your town.

You might ask the postmaster if he has any idea how this might be happening? Because as his neighbor and friend, you'd sure hate to have to file a formal complaint with the postal inspectors that could lead to trouble for the local postal employees who you love and respect so much... ;)

Tansey Ella

I don't think its considered tampering if you work for the post office. And Of course the package may have been inspected at any place in route to my home.

Grizabella

Tansey said:
I hate the mailers that seem to have shredded matted paper in them. When I open the package it just flies all over the place. I too prefer the bubble rap. But you do what you have too.
How many of you save your packages and use use them again? I do that all the time, I make sure I black our any identifying things and "re- mail" (like re- gift)
I always add the cheapest delivery confirmation , 75 cents they said.

Recently I have had my packages opened. ( it appears they have been opened but contents were not harmed) I live in a very uptight religious community and the slightest hint of "witchcraft" could get the local natives looking through your mail,trash, or yard.

Touching someone else's mail is considered mail tampering and it's a federal offense. Technically, you can't even take mail out of your own mailbox to give it to the person it's addressed to, even if they're related to you, unless it's a minor child or someone else you have power of attorney over. A postmaster told me this. If you do it and they complain, a mail representative WILL contact you and read you the riot act in no uncertain terms and if you do it again, you'll be prosecuted.

Yes, I do re-use packaging whenever I can, not just to save money but to also cut down on what goes into the garbage. For safety reasons, if there's packaging I can't reuse, I take an indelible sharpie and black out the return address on anything I throw away, just to protect the people who have sent stuff to me. Of course, I also tear off or black out any addresses used previously if I'm going to re-use a packaging material.

A tip for people who like to use colored tissue paper---did you know you can iron the wrinkles out of crumpled tissue paper? It works!

AJ

I smile to myself every time I send out, or something comes in repacked in an Amazon box. Aren't they just the best? I imagine the boxes going all over the world on 2nd and 3rd and 4th trips until finally they arrive somewhere soft, rounded, and spent. What a way to go...

SharonS

I ALWAYS reuse packaging if at all possible. I black out addresses and other wrighting or tape paper over it, tear off the labels, etc. Me and a friend in Maryland shipped the same shoebox back and forth til it finally seen it's last days and could hold together no more, lol. I think it's interesting to think about where all the packages have been and will be going.

I think it would be wonderful to have one bubble mailer, stick something small written on paper (a quote or something) and where the person is from on it as well...then just keep mailing it on and on and each person does the same and can look at all the notes (or whatever it may be) inside, then send it on to someone else...the same envelope. It would have to end sometime obiously...whoever started it could work that one out, lol. Still, would be interesting though:) I'm going to quit babbling now.

Blessings:heart:
~SharonS

Grizabella

They do something like that here when they send a Tarot deck around the world and everyone signs a card and sends the deck on.

Cactus

AJ said:
I smile to myself every time I send out, or something comes in repacked in an Amazon box. Aren't they just the best? I imagine the boxes going all over the world on 2nd and 3rd and 4th trips until finally they arrive somewhere soft, rounded, and spent. What a way to go...

Well, I'm glad there are others out there who do this because I do it all the time. Sometimes I'd think that someone will think I'm either lazy or cheap when they see the reused package they get from me. But then I think, Why do I care what someone thinks when I'm just recycling and doing the earth good? Why buy new when old can be reused?

And when I had nothing left from Amazon (yes, excellent boxes!), I did have to buy some bubble wrap envelopes from Staples. They're great - $8 for a pkg of 12. Way cheaper than the Ready Post mailers you get at the post office (the smallest ones that hold 1 deck are $1.09 each.)