Reading cloths

Theta Choir

Hey everyone,

I've been looking for a nice reading cloth for months, but my searches at amazon pretty much just turn up the same 10 to 20 designs over and over. I've searched for "tarot cloth" and "altar cloth", but it's always the same few designs.

It occurs to me that there are probably lots and lots of scarves, small tapestries, and whatnots that could be used as a reading cloth, but...how to go about looking for them?

Any ideas, folks? I'm not looking to spend a great deal of money. I'd like to keep it under $25. If you have a one-of-a-kind reading cloth and feel like sharing, please let me know how you found it. I'd love to know what other people are using.

Cheers!

P.S. Apologies if this subject has been brought up before. The search function kept timing out when I tried to locate a similar thread.

Penthasilia

My favorite is one a friend made for me. They bought a piece of white silk that was just the right size and tie dyed it in gorgeous pinks and purples. No piece is the same. I don't know if you can buy any online like that- but it is easy to pick up a piece of white silk and make your own, with colors you would love. :) Otherwise, I am eh on the ones I see for sale- I agree with you, they all seem to have similar designs that really are not appealing to me either.

:D

ETA- there is someone on Etsy selling some- not as pretty as mine, but still pretty neat. :)

http://www.etsy.com/listing/85457539/purple-silk-tarot-cloth-altar-cloth-hand

magpie9

Best places I've found are thrift stores. Look in scarves, shawls and pillow covers...you'll be amazed what you'll find for just a few bucks!

marimorimo

I'm also looking for a good but economical spread cloth but as I haven't found one yet I've made do with a bath towel :D I have a bath towel here that has a gauze side and an unobtrusive pattern which works well for me.

shadowdancer

I second the pillowcase idea. Get a nice satin feeling one and you can also use it to wrap your fav deck in.

Theta Choir

Hmm...good ideas, everyone. Thanks for sharing.

I was also thinking about checking out a fabric store. I had been avoiding it, since I do NOT sew (at all!), but some poking around on the internet reminded me of that iron-on fuseable web stuff that can be used to hem fabrics with no sewing. So maybe I'll investigate that option as well, since it would give me the greatest control over the look of my reading cloth.

Sulis

I like reading cloths to be plain so that the cards really stand out. I make double-sided cotton velvet / cotton or cotton velvet / dupion silk cloths. They're not really, really cheap but they'll last you a lifetime and the velvet I use is really good quality.

I have a website button under my username if you want to have a look.

If you want to get something original and not too pricey then try charity shops and get a nice second-hand square scarf. If it's too lightweight you could sew some curtain weights at the corners to keep it down - you can get them in haberdashery shops.

Winterchild

Cloths

If you sew they are not difficult to make basic ones.

I don't like non natural fabrics or sweatshop produced bags or cloths so I just buy handmade or make my own. I enjoy making different ones, and do custom orders, some with applique designs.

But if you go to a fabric shop you can buy a fat quarter and simply hem it..... mine are lined but they don't have to be. You could even fray the edges like a fringe if you dont sew! The easiest way to get a straight edge for fraying is to tear the fabric, I find rather than cut it.

I also sell mine for around 20-25 US. I have a thread in the trading forum with some pics, and I do custom orders, some with applique designs etc.

Winterchild

Velvet

ooooooooooh I would love a velvet cloth.....! I really miss all the fabrics and things I could get in the UK.

Le Fanu

Hit the sales and look for luxury cushion covers!

I have some gorgeous reading cloth/cushion covers in all kinds of interesting fabrics. Some are the square ones which are great for 4-5 card spreads and I also like the longer, narrower cushion covers for lines of 3-7 cards too. I've picked beautiful ones up in the sales for 1 euro before now and they're nice and thickish when rolled up to protect decks. Or decks can even be slipped inside and zipped/buttoned away.