Reading for a friend.. a total dud !

memries

When I was away I did a reading for a good friend and as I looked at the cards the card pictures looked back at me and it was just a picture !

I had no concept of what it was about and since I knew her personal history it was most embarrassing. My ethic is to never be less than honest when reading, that is I never bs but read the cards. Fortunately I have never seen any bad news and if I did I would not tell to upset anyone. I drew a couple of clarifier cards to no avail. Also I am in my 3rd year here and have studied quite a bit of course.
Does this mean that reading tarot is not my gift or what ?
I do not feel like continuing trying the read for anyone at the moment because of the debacle.

I had not been well and in fact was very sick when I was away, either food poisoning (never eating Mexican again) or the flu.

Has anyone had the experience or any ideas ?

Alta

I have also had readings where I just failed completely. I wouldn't let it put you off and decide the whole thing is not for you.

Could be your physical state, no doubt about it. Or just about anything really. Please don't let it discourage you.

LixiPixi

I have to agree with Marion - try not to let this one instance determine your whole journey.

I would most definitely chalk it up to being sick. Even if I read for myself when I'm not feeling well, the cards will more often than not stare blankly at me. I can certainly say that it happens when reading for others just as easily.

I have to wonder - did your friend pose a specific question for you to focus on? Or was it just a general reading to see whatever might come up? Being ill and not having a specific focus can make it that much more difficult to interpret what the cards are saying. Did your friend comment on how the reading went/was going? Or were you able to actually say something like gosh, I have no idea?

Hang in there - I'm sure the illness was a huge contributing factor.

LP~

memries

Thanks Marion for sharing that ! It brought me back to Earth with a bump !
I will just let it go for a while and try again some other time.

Umbrae

Wahahahaaha...Congratulations!!! Somebody strike up a tune - we need a brass band here...!

Guess what?

You've just arrived!

It wern't no Mexican food (Yummm), it weren't no Influenzeme or Influenzyou or Influenza...

You hit...a full blown hard-hat required Blank Spot.

Blank spots can be cards, blank spots can appear as the whole spread. Blank spots can appear as a whole reading session.

…just a second here, the band gets kinda loud about here…

See there’s a spot in learning where you don’t know all the keywords that you learned from books.

Then you get to a spot where you know all the stuff from the books.

Then you get to a spot where you realize you might know all that stuff but it may not be relevant.

Then you get to the spot where you know that you know all that stuff and it don’t mean a ding-dang thing, and what does mean anything at all is locked up inside your own head, not associated memory.

When you get there – you’re on the ledge, like the Fool, about to step off – and become a real reader – you’re graduating – you just got your diploma and looked at it, “But after all this study…it’s blank?”

“YES!”

“I don’t get it?!?”

“Yes!”

Folks who never get to the Blank Spot never get a diploma. And that's sad.

So take an unprinted piece of paper from your printer, and put it up on your wall someplace (serious about this), and enjoy it.

Next time you hit ‘The Blank Spot’, remember – the diploma…

once again...Gratz.

:smoker:

memries

Lixipixi

I was there with two other friends. They all kind of just looked at me and did not say much at all. Guess they did not want to hurt my feelings. I think my first mistake and I had decided this before but did not do it, was that I would only ever read on a one to one basis. Since we were all such good friends and it took me by surprise I had no time to get centered and I find a lack of privacy inhibits me anyway.

My two other friend and I are called, jokingly, the 3 Witches of Eastwyck !
They are very psychic although do not read cards as I do. My one friend continued and gave her a psychic reading which was pretty heavy and she started crying, etc. She was feeling the emotions of the querant ! I was able to give some input after it was over about the fact that maybe some healing had occurred.

I do not intend to find myself in a similar situation again but our close friendship and honesty to each other is what brought it about. We are growing together in our journey and of course we all have different types of talents and each of us develops on our own path and we discuss these things. I was able to bring some direction in our discussion later but just logical things. I am a very sensible type of person. There was quite a spread in the age groups and I am the eldest.

The querant is a very courageous person and has turned a really hard situation around and has moved to the Southern U.S. and bought her own home, etc. and is very successful. I did not know her as well but her generosity of spirit shone through everything.

It was just a general reading.

starrystarrynight

(((memries)))

It sounds more like you froze up due to having an "audience"...the old Public Speaking debacle.

Thing is, you know you are a good reader...this was just one unfortunate incident--nothing more than that.

But I don't think it has anything to do with your ability or having "lost it" or anything along those lines.

Get back into the saddle...

memries

Thanks Umbrae for your post. I have put the BLANK piece of paper up and have read the post.. blank spot... which I found most informative.
Hey !! A real reader !! I am going to try the "mote" trick as well. I am the "get flustered type", not good for a public speaker.
I already do find silence about me is what I prefer and when driving my car I get great ideas. I suppose my motor abilities are occupied and my mind can go where it wants to. Now I just have to develop my peripheral vision. I do have flashes there occasionally !

memries

starrystarrynight I think you are correct about the public speaking thing. I was once in a play when I was young and had the leading part and could not remember my lines at all. A disaster but learned from it.

TenOfSwords

The reading process isn't just a mechanic intellectual procedure, not just formal mental skill, but a profoundly emotional exchange between you, the cards, the people there and the universe/spirit/god/the aliens... it's your feelings listening and your feelings talking.

I think it was a great confirmation that your feelings sensed it as something very new happening and responded with causion and reserve, sort of being used to classical music and then suddenly finding oneself at a rock concert... most people would cover their ears per reflex and getting to know a new genre of music is usually most revarding if done gradually.

Your feelings obviously have very good hearing, otherwise they wouldn't have responded that way. They sound like very good guides.

Good for you. :)