Reading Scarf or Cloth

Hlb9525

I don't currently use a cloth when I read.

Has anyone experienced any difference in their readings when reading with a cloth vs. without one?

HB

tarotbear

The use of a reading cloth is mostly esthetics. It provides you a familiar background to help you 'tune out' the world around you, letting you focus on the cards. Likewise, a reading cloth blocks out an ugly tabletop (hard to read cards with tacky Formica glaring up at you); or even because you are reading on an old wooden table outdoors and want something clean to lay your cards on.

My cards are wrapped in a square of red silk, and I've used that wrapper as a reading cloth many times, although I prefer one to wrap and something else to read on, if I could.

PS - no law says it has to be black, either!

Narwhallove

Once ... and only once

Nope, no cloth. I just use whatever clean surface that's nearby. I agree with Tarotbear in that a cloth is nice to separate "this space" from "that space," but I must be too lazy. I once sewed myself a dark blue velvet cloth and kept getting frustrated with it because my readings would sprawl out of it. My spreads are idiosyncratic, and I'm not always in the mood to lay out my cards in within a perfect square.

I've never noticed a difference. :)

The crowned one

No change in my reading ability, but a slight change in mood, or ambiance perhaps, if I let the cloths texture, colour and art effect me.

Disa

I use a cloth for many of the reasons tarotbear listed. Mine has to be a solid cloth, though- not patterned because I need a background that doesn't detract from the cards. I can use a paper napkin if I have to, though :) If it's a solid wooden table that I know is clean I don't worry about it as much, and I sometimes read on my dark brown ottoman without a cloth, or on the couch- just depends.

This weekend a friend sent me a red scarf with rose patterns on it, it reminded me of the Buckland Romani- my all time favorite deck (wait, it's tied with the Druidcraft I think) I put the buckland cards on the cloth and I think I may be able to read with that patterned scarf because it sort of goes, but I haven't tried yet. We'll see.

Zephyros

One of those things I've always wanted to get to (like reading reversals) but have never gotten to it. Honestly, there are times I shove a deck into my back jeans pocket when I leave the house, a cloth would be cumbersome for me!

Masa

Our tables and carpet tend to be dirty on account of the toddler, so I often use baby blankets as reading cloths. My favorite one is a soft, fuzzy tiger-striped one, mostly because it feels so nice to the touch. Also because it's funny. X)

Morwenna

At home I don't bother; away from home I carry something, sometimes for esthetics, often because I may be facing a rough or dirty surface. I don't see any difference. (Only I've begun to think that I should use one at home when I read on the bed, to cut down on the cat hairs between cards!)

Asbestos Mango

I keep most of my decks wrapped in colored bandannas, which double as reading cloths. For my larger decks, a bandanna wouldn't hold a Celtic Cross, so for those I have a coral-colored scarf with a paisley pattern. I have a few spare bandannas I use for my decks that came in particularly nice boxes that I display on my bookshelf.

But I agree, a reading cloth is mostly for atmosphere, plus keeping the cards clean (I do a lot of my readings on the floor). But I likes me some atmosphere when I read. I just have that mindset, I'd feel weird reading without a cloth, a candle and Bub the Crystal Skull overseeing the reading.

One of these days, I may break down and buy a Sulis reading cloth.

Le Fanu

I don't currently use a cloth when I read.

Has anyone experienced any difference in their readings when reading with a cloth vs. without one?

HB
Gosh, no. I :heart: my reading cloths and I have a nice selection but it's just aesthetic or - with a few of them - for use on tables I think might be greasy or whatever. I have a few velvet ones, specially made ones, green, felt "gaming table" ones, brocaded napkins, embroidered napkins, quite a few...