Reading with just "one" deck

Brammetje

One caveat: Pick a deck with some real traction that will challenge you. Pick wisely, because if it's a "thin" deck it won't bear much scrutiny. If you're going to burn slow and long, you need a hardwood log on the andirons. Lots of people will tell you to "pick what feels right" but that doesn't mean what you're necessarily comfortable with. You want something that will demolish your comfort zones. Pick something that makes you want to be better reader... hell, a better person! It's a little bit like choosing a friend in whom you confide over a long roadtrip; there are some people you gossip with, and THEN there are a very few that you trust to hold your wallet, clean up your vomit, and watch your kids in an emergency room. You're in it for the long haul, so take a long-haul deck.

Do it. Don't look back. You won't regret it.

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words...they give me faith that this is the right decision for me, this was really helpfull Scion.

With that in mind it wasnt even that hard to choose a deck. I know now what my favorites are, two decks

Gareth Knight and Tarot of the Spirit. It was hard to chose between those two, because they are so different, but I had to make a choice... so its Tarot of the Spirit.

Bramina

MystiqueMoonlight

I have 5 different decks and may use one or the other depending on which calls me. It might be for a month or it might be for a year or more. But I do use 2 different decks at the same time when I'm reading for someone who has a relationship question. One I use for the querent and the other for the second party.

pandan49

Excellent suggestion

I have quite a number of decks, but I have found that my readings always work best when I return to current favorite, Old Path, which I have been using consistently for several years now.

Before that, I had other favorite decks, although Rider Waite is still my baseline for teaching and reading. I have had a practical reason for my choices. Since I read at a lot of festivals and events, my cards get handled a lot and I found that I was needing to buy replacement decks frequently.

So if you have a real collectors item, a deck that would cost a hundred dollars or more to replace, you are reluctant to use them in that kind of situation.

It is my experience, as others have mentioned, that if you work with one all the time it really speaks to you. When you have an ongoing dialogue with this deck, it really becomes a personal tool and it really works. You no longer struggle to figure things out, meanings, insights and responses just flow.

I think there are two main reasons why we always are drawn to new designs.

One is that we are always interested in the originality, expression and creativeness of artists, and we enjoy looking at new art that brings various mythologies and concepts to life. This is very much related to our taste in art. If we find the art of a certain deck really repulsive, we will not be able to work with it. We really need to have a deck that we enjoy looking at in order to want to take it out and work with it every day. Having several decks is also like having your own art gallery that you enjoy visiting. It is the same principle as buying prints by various artists and photographers and hanging them in your home.

Two, I think that we often find that decks that we like a lot always have something about them that bothers us, like for example, we do not like the way certain images in the major arcana are portrayed. So when a new deck comes out that offers an image that we like better, we try switching. Oddly, although we may like some of this new imagery better we feel like we are not able to read as well with this deck. That is something that can probably be remedied over time simply through dedicating more time to work with it.

My experience is that I will always have a few more decks than I need just because I love the art, although I have one that I use most of the time. One of the other useful aspects of even having more than one deck is that by comparing the art, our understanding of our decks becomes illuminated. When we lay several decks side by side and note the differences in the ways various artists have created their visions, it can help deepen our appreciation of the symbology and meanings that are part of every deck.

The utilitarian part of me notes that I really only need one deck, but that is sort of like only needing one drum. I enjoy playing one drum most of the time, but it is also very refreshing to try different drums on different days, just to hear and feel the different sounds. Some days we just may feel moved to read with different decks. And sometimes in teaching new people to read, it helps bring the lesson home to take the same card from different decks and look at the way different artists have expressed the same idea.

SolSionnach

Welcome to the board, pandan49.

That's quite the thoughtful post. I've had the same issues back in the day - there would be one or two cards which would put me off a deck, so the search would continue week after week.

However, after years of tarot, and hundreds of dollars, :( I find that I'm returning to the first decks that I really studied - Thoth, Light and Shadow, Cosmic - plus my new loves, the TdMs. They don't have my fav art, particularly the Thoth - but I don't have to think twice when I use them.

pandan49

Can you elaborate on traction?

Scion,

Your post offers some great insight. I was wondering if you could elaborate more on traction. You advised using a deck that has traction.

Thanks,

Pan

Scion

Sure... I'll use a metaphor if you'll bear with me.

Think of the way a wheel works. A wheel is an extraordinarily useful machine. It focuses energy in a direction so that large amounts of weight can move smoothly over great distances. It does this by distributing the pressure evenly and simultaneously retaining freedom of movement along an axis. Moving a ton of granite by yourself is impossible. Moving a ton of granite on a wheeled platform is actually relatively easy.

Traction is what allows the wheel to distribute the weight evenly, yet STILL retain the power of directional movement. Without traction, the wheel would slip in place, not allowing any movement to occur. Too much traction and, ditto. In the simplest terms, traction is produced by friction between two surfaces: one stationary and one moving across it, maintaining contact. It gives the wheel a way to grip the ground AND to move in a direction. Decks are the same way.

If you pick a deck that's pretty but kind of meaningless. without any symbolic content or meaningful patterns then your Tarot practice will just slip in place. Sure you'll do readings and you might even enjoy looking at the pretty pictures, but in fact you will not progress because all such a deck can do is reinforce cliches and habits. It doesn't challenge you (i.e. provide friction), and so you will constantly fall back on your bag of tricks to make it seem like you are reading what's in front of you. Like the wheel slipping. As you say, art should be an irritant on some level. This is sort of how I feel about the canned readings that teenagers read to each other out of LWBs when they've picked up some Tarot-lite and decided to predict the future in 10 minutes between giggles and panic attacks. They're spinning their wheels, and it's only the ones who dig in (traction) who start to move as readers. Like life, being pretty is not enough. :D

By the same token, if you pick a deck that is so far beyond your level of skill, ability, or interest, so byzantine or idiosyncratic that you will develop many NEW habits and cliches, you will never develop the power to move in the direction you should. You'll spend all that time learning some bizarre overcomplicated string of half-assed symbols slopped togther by some dingdong who skimmed Silver Ravenwolf for a month and decided they had "the right stuff" to design a deck. But when the time comes to actually read, you'll only be hindered by THEIR mistakes, THEIR ineptitude, THEIR inert ideas. At least if you are screwing up you can get better, but if you chain yourself to someone else who's doing so, you have double the work for a 10th of the reward. Like life, being difficult doesn't guarantee it's worth the effort. :D

The trick with traction, the thing that allows the wheel to turn, is that it is a careful balance between friction and force. Gravity holds the wheel steady, and energy allows it to move. Ditto a deck. You want a Tarot with some weight, more going on beneath the surface than meets the eye, patterns that aren't immediately accessible, a certain heft and scale that looks beyond "Does he like me?" or "will I get the job?" But you also want a deck with power, artwork that compels or challenges or inspires you, a subject that you're excited to explore, a flicker of genius buried deeply and lovingly by the creator that you can perceive behind the cardboard. Without power and weight, you're just shuffling 78 postcards. No traction, no movement.

So for my part, when people ask, I always recommend a "big" deck first... one of the classics: a Tarot de Marseille, a Crowley-Harris Thoth, a Waite-Smith. But if you're looking to step a bit further outside the box, then intelligent homages of the above can be amazing: the International Icon, the Liber T, the Grand Tarot Belline, the Lasenik, a Soprafino. Further afield, you'll find a few intelligent, beautiful decks that aren't simply printed for marketshare or to capture a stripmall trend: the Alchemical, the de la Rea, or the Tarocco Bizzarro. Those suggestions are totally personal. Obviously everyone will have to gauge for themselves what constitutes power and what constitutes weight for themselves. Context is everything. Some massmarket decks are brilliant, some handprinted Italian treasures are idiotic. But the one surety is that your comfort zone is a graveyard of cliches and habits and platitudes. Any deck with traction will force you away from the comfort zone.

And of course your mileage will vary. One person's boulder is another person's pebble. There's a fine line between cosmic lightbulb and ho-hum homily... and only you can spot it. The only person who knows if you're being lazy or inattentive is you. A great deck disciplines you, and forces you to discipline yourself. :) It structures your imagination as much as you will inhabit its landscapes.

And the greatest part is, traction is imperative and obvious because you will either move forward or not. :thumbsup: It is the first requirement of every step we take.

Scion

Rev_Vesta

Wow Scion...
A very powerful post and so so right....
for me personally i started reading with one of the Celtic Tarot decks and found it gave me no challenges.. it did not get down to the root of the issues... then i tried Rider Waite for six months or more.. yes it gave me a descent reading for pple but still it didn't get to the root of the issues....but then i picked up NAT by Magda Weck Gonzalez (Native American Tarot) and wow talk about a real kick in the Butt.... really made me take notice of my journey......whooo. did I really want to face the issue that deeply? Yes if I want to devlop myself as someone who can assist a client on their personal truth.........so now after 5 years using Native American Tarot we have developed an incredible working relationship that has certainly had it's rollercoaster moments, emotionally.......... but now over the last year i have used Osho Zen for very good Take Note readings and now using John Holland's Psyhic Tarot Oracle.......(i know a bit of a mixture)..... But I find my Clients really love NAT for that kick butt reading that come to me for............lol

So for me RW, Celtic Tarot gave me no depth but NAT real depth.....
and with Osho Zen can certainly get some depth within a reading......
The Psychic Tarot has certainly produced some depth in a reading also........
personal opinion only...........

Vesta

pandan49

Thanks Scion

Thanks for the additional input Scion. Great insights and useful observations. And yes, I think it does come down to personal tastes to a degree. Your comments will certainly be a useful input for those interested in really advancing.

SunChariot

I've never felt any desire to limit myself to one deck. I prefer to let my intuition tell me which is best for each particular reading.

But if you are having trouble deciding which to use, why don't you pull out a deck and ask which it would most benefit you to focus on. I'm sure you'd get something useful that will lead you to the right one.

Babs