Reading without God/ess

How do you read the Tarot?

• It puts me in touch with Spirit/God/Goddess/etc

Votes: 29 26.4%
  • I am psychic

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • The cards fall into meaningful patterns which relate to the situation

Votes: 55 50.0%
  • The cards fall randomly but I can make sense of them and apply them to the situation

Votes: 33 30.0%
  • Other (please specify in your post)

Votes: 24 21.8%

• Total voters

jmd

I have not read all the responses yet, but thought I would reply by considering fairyhedgehog's post first... I'll probably make another post later too. I just thought that fairyhedgehog's opening post already included so much that to read the other posts first may be, for me, too much to try and combine.

fairyhedgehog mentions that she is a secular humanist. I suppose that part of what this entails is attempting to see the world and each of its events in ways which assume a particular ontological view - a view of the world as composed solely of matter and energy, each being in some way but a different manifestation of the other.

When fairyhedgehog says that when we read the cards she believes that what is occuring is the innate 'human ability to make sense of things by making up stories', I personally also tend to agree. Where we may diverge in our views is the ways in which one explains how this is not only possible, but that the 'stories' are strikingly relevant.

As someone who personally holds a fundamentally spiritual view of the world (though this wasn't always so - and of course people have fluctuatued in both directions in their ongoing views), I would account for both the ability to narrate relevant meaningful stories, and indeed the ways in which events may at times unfold (including, possibly, which cards emerge), as guided, no matter how veiled, by impulses emerging from the spiritual realm. A realm which sustains and makes manifest the physical world, by the way.

Of course, you mention that part of this poll is to find how other secular humanists view and explain their usage of Tarot... I have therefore not responded to the poll, though I tend to be far closer to secular humanist explanations of the physical world than may seem to be the case. Of course, fundamentally, my views as to what sustains such existence varies to the physicalist's view...

As to reading for people, your own description as to what you 'see' will be narrated in ways which will undoubtedly suggest a particular world-view... to begin a reading by suggesting: 'a different way of viewing the situation may be to...' is quite different to stating: 'I see ...'. Even to state that you see the cards as providing images which are means by which the human mind may see a meaningful story or stories unfold, though this reflects human abilities in 'meaning-making', and not what is necessarily the case. Maybe reading for others - especially those with whom you may share a (more or less) common secular humanistic framework, may be quite a refreshing experience.

Personally, to read amongst a group of people who are secular humanists, and see how and in which ways various narratives develop, are connected to one's life situation, and strive to account for not only the 'mechanisms' in which the reading operates, but how useful it may be, would undoubtedly be wonderfully rewarding...

...now to read the other responses. I look forward to seeing how this thread develops :)

MeeWah

I chose "Other".

I do not necessarily view myself as psychic; am not aware of spirit guides but as one who sees the world of man from a spiritual view. I also see/feel an intrinsic connection to all forms of life; that one can connect to a well of bounty beyond the human ken. Whether it be a collective unconscious, akashic records or an un-nameable, that well exists. The perception is likely influenced by early childhood experiences & the influence of my parents who have a deep respect for unseen forces & in the power of the individual to access same.

Thus, I am automatically attentive to all kinds of "signs" or "guidance" in the environment, whether it be in noting the patterns in nature including the activities of animals & of weather; the human activities & events. From "reading" the patterns of clouds, the puddles of rain water, the shadows cast to drapery folds to cards. Everything else preceding the cards have been & are integral parts of the lifetime experiences.

fairyhedgehog

jmd said:
I have not read all the responses yet, but thought I would reply by considering fairyhedgehog's post first
Thank you jmd. I have read your entire post with interest.

Of course, you mention that part of this poll is to find how other secular humanists view and explain their usage of Tarot... I have therefore not responded to the poll, though I tend to be far closer to secular humanist explanations of the physical world than may seem to be the case.
Please do respond, jmd :) I wanted to give everyone who is interested the chance to respond. Hence including 'other' as an option :)

As to reading for people, your own description as to what you 'see' will be narrated in ways which will undoubtedly suggest a particular world-view... to begin a reading by suggesting: 'a different way of viewing the situation may be to...' is quite different to stating: 'I see ...'. Even to state that you see the cards as providing images which are means by which the human mind may see a meaningful story or stories unfold, though this reflects human abilities in 'meaning-making', and not what is necessarily the case. Maybe reading for others - especially those with whom you may share a (more or less) common secular humanistic framework, may be quite a refreshing experience.
These are very helpful suggestions and I'll go away and think about them. Most of my friends have some sort of spiritual views (I think) I don't actually belong to any group that is 'secular humanist' - it's just the label that comes closest to saying what I currently believe. But I think your ideas are still workable. Thank you :)

fairyhedgehog

Thank you all of you for your thoughts on this :)

I'm interested by all the different approaches to reading the cards and I have read all of your posts with interest even though they are too many to reply to all of you individually.

Lee, I think we may share a very similar worldview.
Moongold, I'm blushing, but thank you :)
Nevada and Diana, I know what you mean, but I'm not sure that way of looking at things works for me. I may have another look at it though, if I can get hold of the book Diana suggests.

Thank you all for your responses :)

DeLani

Both A and C.
I believe the Goddess is within everything, including my intuition, my mind, and the cards. So it all works together.

Indigo Rose

Other...

I am a believer in God. I believe the ability to read Tarot comes from a combination of a spiritual energies, psychic gifts, mental aptitude, and a connection to humanity. I also believe that the more in touch we come with all of these forces, the better our readings become.

isthmus nekoi

I chose "Other".

Matter and spirit are essentially the same thing. In Chinese and Japanese language, there is no strict Cartesian distinction b/w the mind and the flesh - the Japanese 'kokoro' for example means both 'mind' and 'heart' simultaneously.
Cards are just pieces of paper, representations, but if they are matter and you accept the premise that matter=spirit, then it follows that they should be spirit as well. I'm sorry, this explanation sucks. But I feel in my gut that this is why divination works.

Why tarot specifically? I'm not sure. b/c it contains an incredibly flexible structure refined and redefined over and over the years? I think ultimately, every successful, enduring structure is based upon the natural world. After all, this is a system that's gone on for aeons. It's possibly our most obvious, proximate system of the way things play out. So how does tarot tap into this system?...

Also, I really don't understand the term "supernatural". Nothing that happens can really go against nature. So how can anything be above nature? That's like calling a human being "inhuman" just b/c they've done something morally objectionable. It doesn't make any sense to me...

Moongold

isthmus nekoi said:
Also, I really don't understand the term "supernatural". Nothing that happens can really go against nature. So how can anything be above nature? That's like calling a human being "inhuman" just b/c they've done something morally objectionable. It doesn't make any sense to me...

Yes, real spirituality has everything to do with how we act here and now in the real moment of our daily lives. It is about respect, authenticity and the sharing of love and understanding. What else can we relate to but that which is really here now?

Some of us, like MeeWah, have gifts to be sensitive to other dimensions of the here and now, whilst remaining quite grounded in reality. This capacity to see beyond that which we see is often present in other cultures than the West and we have so much to learn from this.

But for people like me, how I relate to others, how giving I am in my thoughts and life, how strong in meeting my responsibilities - these are all the foundation and dynamics of the spiritual life. I am not claiming to be an expert practitioner in this be any means.

In this way I see the most *ordinary* people living the most profoundly spiritual lives.

Some of them would not describe themselves in this way nor even think very much about God or spirituality.

Moongold

firecatpickles

This is kinda cool, so I am bumping it up --reviving this old thread...

I voted for the one about the pattern. I feel that the energies present in the five elements manifest in foreseeable and predictable archetypal patterns, past present and future.

K:spade:K

magpie9

I voted for meaningful pattern...but I wish I could have voted for other, too. Once the cards are down and I'm reading I hook into something else --psychically--I guess--that refines and connects the information to the person and the situation. It develops into a sense of surety about what I'm seeing/saying, and gives a lot of detail and depth. I disengage it at the end of the reading. So that's the "other" part.