Readings with no positions

LovelyMissAries

Usually when I do small readings for myself or others during exchanges, I never have positions. Due to this, I'm wondering if it's okay to rearrange the cards after doing this? I never have because to me, if the cards were supposed to come out in that order they would have. But I'm just wondering if anyone else does this?

rwcarter

For a position-less reading, I would read the cards as they fell. But it also could be informative to switch the cards around and see what, if any, differences you find.

Nevada

I don't tend to like rules when it comes to intuition, so I'm inclined to say, why not? You have to figure out what works for you. If rearranging cards is part of that at times, I don't see why it should be a problem -- if they make more sense that way. Even if there were positions assigned, maybe there are times when that would make sense. I can't think of any reason, but who's to say?

I think what I'd try to avoid is doing it all the time -- in which case it could start to feel as if you must move the cards around. Sometimes things become habits that don't really need to, and they can become their own kinds of traps we get stuck in. (Which I tend to think carefully defined spreads are at times.)

Seafra

Please take a look at Mary Greer's "Tarot for Yourself" where she describes codicils. Or take a google at codicils. I find them to be so useful I can't even explain them clearly (but I'm a bozo with words). It is very, very important you don't rearrange them to support an ego thought though. Do be careful.

AprilFool

Seafra said:
Please take a look at Mary Greer's "Tarot for Yourself" where she describes codicils...I find them to be so useful I can't even explain them clearly...
Seafra, can you mention where in Mary's book that reference can be found? There is not an index, and I can't find a specific reference to that word in the table of contents. Thanks!

rwcarter

Seafra might be talking about "Permutations," which are covered in Chapter 6 in my copy of the book.

starrystarrynight

I would think it would have a lot to do with how you view the images on the cards (if the images are what, in fact, trigger your "intuition" on the reading.)

For example, suppose you are using the Rider-Waite-Smith deck and the three cards you have drawn are the Knight of Wands, the Queen of Swords and the Two of Cups. And consider that you can attribute each of these courts as individuals in your sphere.

[If you don't have your deck in front of you, the Knight is riding his horse from right to left on the card, and the Queen is sitting on her throne facing right... i.e. depending upon which order you place them, they will either be facing one another or back to back.]

If you placed them in that order left to right (knight - queen - Two), it looks as if the Queen of Swords is possibly considering the union of the Two of Cups (she is facing it), but the Knight of Wands is "riding away from" her and the cup card is furthermost on his mind in that placement.

Now, place the Knight as the third card with the Two of Cups between the two courts, and it changes the feeling. Now, he is riding toward the the Two of Cups, and the queen is still thinking about it. They are divided, but they are closer. And that energy of the Two of Cups is hovering between them.

Next, place the cards in this order: Knight of Wands, Two of Cups and Queen of Swords. Now, each of the courts has his back toward the notion of the Two of Cups, and the knight is, in fact, moving away from it at a gallop! :) The queen is looking ahead and thinking about something entirely different from the notion of the Two of Cups' love. Further, the knight has his back to the woman in the Two of Cups, and the queen has her back to the man in the Two of Cups.

Anyway, that's just something to think about when considering moving the cards around after drawing them. And that is just if you drew them all upright when using reversals. All other dignities, if you use them, would also change if you jockey the cards around after the initial draw, in my opinion, and that would be something to take into consideration, as well.

And all that being said, there still are times when "intuition" or "instinct" overrides anything the cards have to say, anyway. :)

AprilFool

rwcarter said:
Seafra might be talking about "Permutations," which are covered in Chapter 6 in my copy of the book.

Thanks, I found that section and it's quite interesting. It's definitely different from the Google definition of codicils, which seems to be a reference primarily to additions to a will; but I imagine you are right, and that's the area in Mary's book that talks about rearranging the position of the cards to get an new perspective.

I especially liked her Permutation #1 on page 118 where she turns the cards in a wheel pattern - very interesting and worthy of a try!

SunChariot

Starlight09 said:
Usually when I do small readings for myself or others during exchanges, I never have positions. Due to this, I'm wondering if it's okay to rearrange the cards after doing this? I never have because to me, if the cards were supposed to come out in that order they would have. But I'm just wondering if anyone else does this?

Personally I never use positions either or spreads. There is nothing wrong with rearranging the position your cards came in, IF that is what you feel called to do. A lot of reading has to do with your intuition.

If you are looking at the cards taht came up and it really feels to you that two cards need to change place, go for it. Always follow what yoru feelings are telling you. Don't try to reason things out, just follow your feelings/intuition.

And yes, that has happened to me, where I knew I had to change the order of the cards. And it worked fine after I had done so. I can't say it happens often, but sometimes it happens.

Just work with what you feel is right and your intuitions. There is really nothing yuo can't do if yuo feel called to do it. And what your inner feelings tell yuo means more than what anyone else thinks or feels is right. Just trust yourself. :grin:

Babs

divinemsm

I can see stary's point. the direction the person/people in the card is facing can affect how they are read, how they face certain cards, etc. Rearranging them wouldchange that. We also sometimes wish to see things in a certain way and rearranging the cards can show us that, but we miss what we are supposed to really find out.
When reading for myself, I don't usually don't use a spread either but just layout cards and see what comes out. Sometime I lay out 3, sometimes more, it depends on how much time I have. I let things flow naturally, and I read them as they lay because that is how the universe is showing me the information. Hope that makes sense.