Recommend Me A Marseilles!

gregory

That one is so CHEAP............. I must go get mine out; as I recall it is undated, but I got it from Somerville and he has always been good on historical....

Ed. OK - mine is a later Camoin/Jodorowsky on more NORMAL card stock. *adds this one to wish list*

Thanks.

Foucault

You have a good eye, Alamaris! These are precisely the two decks that I would choose.

The Noblet is now the only deck I read with. It's just so darned honest, bawdy and irreverent. It's the "no BS" deck!

It's not for everyone, though. If you'd like a "cuddlier" deck, I'd go for the Fournier. The lines follow the old woodcuts, so it reads like the originals (unless you find the original coloring to be important in reading), but it has contemporary coloring, giving a different feel.

Alamaris said:
I bought my Thoth several months ago, and finally purchased a Waite Rider Smith yesterday. Now, because its probably true that the best things come in threes (like tarot ;)) I'm looking to acquire a Marseilles tarot. Round off the collection, as it were, and of course to study an early deck.

I think the Fournier and the Noblet are both fairly aesthetically pleasing, but in the end, the most important thing is probably historical accuracy. Is there a good deck that combines nice imagery with the true old symbolism?

Apologies if anything here sounds utterly daft; I've never touched a Marseilles before. I figured now was the time to start! :D