reconsidering a cathar connection

foolish

the following quotes are from Michael, which I will attempt to respond to:

[QUTOE]you don't know what "history" means when you wrote a history book[/QUOTE]

I have already talked about the use of the word "history" in my last post. It obviously has more than one definition. The fact that historians have a specific understanding of that word doesn't mean that the rest of the world uses it in the same fashion. I would be willing to bet that when most people see and read my book, they will not think of it as a "history" book.

It has been pointed out to you repeatedly that no one has asked for proof. Go back through the posts if you don't believe me -- NO ONE has asked for proof. Words have meanings.

on page 1, Tehuti said: "However, you don't have proof of even one example where any images were used this way among the Cathars in either France or Italy." and then on page 21, "statements like: 'could easily have been seen by Cathars' are not proof of anything."

It was an implausible hunch from the start, mocked by its originator. It has been examined time and time again, and found to be without merit.

Going back to O'Neill's essay on tarot.com, he says: "There isn't a shred of evidence for a Cathar/Tarot orCathar/Occult connection... But does that mean that the Catheri made no contributions to the concepts of the trumps? NO! That contribution remains feasible, perhaps even probable." And, "In such an environment, we should not lightly dismiss the possibility that an heretical enclave used shared orthodox symbols to express themselves. So the door cannot be securely bolted against the possibility of heretical input."

One of the main reasons why online Tarot forums are generally worthless, why so little progress is made in the subject, is because most of the participants have little or no actual interest in history. They are interested in fantasies that have been concocted by generations of fools and charlatans, and this folklore is recycled endlessly. This universe of intriguing folklore is what draws most of them to Tarot.

The last sentence of your statement is true. And this should tell you that most people are not simply interested in the limited scope of "evidence" and history when it comes to the tarot, but are drawn to its broader attraction, which lies in its rich symbolism. This does not make it "worthless." It only appears that way to you because of your own interest. There's nothing wrong with the investigation of tarot history. It has its place. But people are not "fools and charlatans" because they have another interest in the cards.

What is there about the depiction of Judgment in Tarot that is unique to Cathar depictions of Judgment, and how do you know that? Have you seen or read about any Cathar depictions of Judgment? Even one? Or are you just making stuff up?

You're missing the point. It is not that there is something uniquely "Cathar" in the depiction of Judgment. As Christians, they would have used the same images found in medieval religious art. What is unique is the WAY they saw these same images. This was shown in Namadev's quote from the Cathar bible, which explains how they believed in a different sense of the Last Judgment. To ask that a set of Cathar images, distinct and unique from the traditionally used images of the time, be presented to prove their different understanding of these images is an unfair demand.

As has been pointed out to you, time and again, anything -- absolutely anything -- can be connected with the Tarot trump cards.

Yes, this is true. And, unfortunately, this also includes your long explanation of what you think the cards mean. Ideas of a moral sequence, divisions of three parts, etc. are all speculation. This kind of tarot "evidence" usually revolves around the argument: I see an image in the card which is used elsewhere in medieval art; therefore, it must mean the same thing. Simply because it is a more common usage doesn't necessarily make it so. It only makes it sound more reasonable or easily accepted.

So, your position is that "historical research" is hanging out with friends and cuddling each others' dreams? Really?!And those who ask rude questions should stop?

Where did I say that? Again, you are misunderstanding what I have written. I am addressing Huck's concern about the state of your forum, and suggesting that if you insist on continuing to take your current, as you put it, "rude" approach to dealing with others, you may find yourselves with no one else willing to "play ball" with you. That might be just fine for you, Michael, but you should probably ask the rest of your group if that's O.K. with them.

your book assumes an anti-Catholic stance and adopts a lot of bigotry and bullshit from Protestant propaganda... I noticed that you felt obliged to make at least one disclaimer about being anti-Catholic, which indicates that even you are aware of how anti-Catholic you positions are.

I have no anti-Catholic agenda. The "disclaimer" in the book is not there to absolve myself of an anti-Catholic position, but rather to indicate that, just as the Catholic Church had done some terrible things in the past, it has also served as an inspiration for millions of others to live a good life. However, we can not excuse or deny the "facts" of history. The Church was responsible for the deaths of thousands of people whose crimes were no more than thinking outside the orthodox view. No one can deny that. It's historical evidence. However, it doesn't mean that the Church throughout history was evil. What I am is anti-hate. I'm anti-intollerance. And I'm anti-murder-in-the-name-of God. It doesn't matter who is involved.

I think I have enough problems with trying to defend the theory of the Cathar-taort connection without having to correct misinterpretations and inacurrate statements about what I am saying. And the rudeness really doesn't help further the discussion. I think we should stick to the topic.

Yves Le Marseillais

Cool me and women !!

Hello all,

I come back in this "partie" because I don't feel good in this ambiance of Relligions War, hard words and so on...

May be I will be excluded from this Forum one day (I was sacked from this of Philippe Tourrasse/Camoin) because truth is sometimes impossible to be said in some places.

Up to now ATF is a possible place for sharing various opinions and people respects themself.

Let's continue in 2011 a difficult task but still possible between autodeclared historians, licensed historians, amatores, amatore historians, tarot bussiness activists, dreamers, fools, anarchists, catholics, protestants, buddhists, islamics, vegetarians, meat eaters, gays, male, female, men, women, handicaped people, cats and dogs (whoooo !!) ect...

I hope that no bombing operations are booked on Hawai area !!
Americans already got Pearl Harbour and it cost 50 millions deads in Worl War II for one part, Hiroshima and Nagasaki: I had enough with this.

Robert and his competitors should low down pressure.

I found another great result in this fight apart talking from TdM in Rider Waite "Zone":

Exposing tools used by "Historians" for getting proofs, evidences, documents ect...
Thanks Teheutil for this progressive and wise response.

And thanks again Huck for your words.

The Frenchie

YLM

foolish

Just another indication of my assessment of this book, and to relieve anyone of its intentions as a history book: When I sent the book in to a large literary source for review, I listed it in the "new age" category, not "history". I don't wish to be misrepresented, and hope this helps clear up this problem.

mjhurst

Hi, Mary,

Mary said:
I stand in awe of the overview you've provided and hope that you will put it on your blog. Robert has done a great favor for us all, in pushing you to do this. It's a wonderful summary of the work done by you and others. It's one of your most cogent yet brief explanations for the tarot cycle and review of those who built the foundations for seeing it. And, it only touches on the fascinating discoveries you've been gathering on your blog.

Even more, it's a great example of how you put together probable, well-documented histories derived from facts that show a true respect for the philosophy, ideas and artistic expression of the time. That kind of respect comes only from long and dedicated research and a close examination of primary materials.
Thank you very much for the extravagant praise. (Hyperbole always suggests sarcasm, but I'll pretend that thought didn't cross my mind.) I think it was Jim Revak who taught me to love terrible posts for the opportunity they provide. Back in the old days my favorite correspondent was Christine, who could crowd so many mistakes and assumptions into a single post that it seemed as if she was consciously trying to invite the presentation of historical facts, quotes from Dummett, etc.

But back in the old days I had more enthusiasm for these things, and more facts in my head for rapid-response posts, so I could crank out a long fisking in a half hour, laughing all the way through. It was always for the benefit of the assumed lurkers.

Mary said:
If we don't speak up for standards in tarot history, and help teach and define them, then who will?
Indeed, and also the historians. One side effect of endlessly rehashing failed ideas is marginalizing those writers who have actually contributed good ideas, insights which can be built upon. In that light, I'll respond to Robert's latest mainly as an excuse to re-post some things from old Bunny Bob.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Best regards,
Michael

mjhurst

Hi, Robert,

foolish said:
Just another indication of my assessment of this book, and to relieve anyone of its intentions as a history book: When I sent the book in to a large literary source for review, I listed it in the "new age" category, not "history". I don't wish to be misrepresented, and hope this helps clear up this problem.
So, you won't be presenting it and debating it on the Historical Research forum anymore?

In that case, I won't trouble you by replying to your previous post. I wouldn't want to cause you to continue misleading people by posting here further.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Best regards,
Michael

foolish

Michael, As I have stated, the conflicting opinions of whether this was appropriate or not, the absence of a public opinion or decision from a moderator one way or the other, and the continued postings which encouraged further comments and responses, have all led me to continue my participation in this thread. The last thing I want is to come in here and step on your toes. If you are representing yourself as the spokesman of the official position of the forum, I will respect your opinion and cease from any further posting in this section. If I don't hear from anyone else to the contrary, you won't hear from me again (unless you venture into one of the other, less worthwhile forums of course).

It's been an interesting experience. I have learned some interesting things about tarot history, and have benefitted from being pushed to think about some of the considerations and objections posted here. I am continuing to read books about the subject (sorry, I still prefer books), and hope to eventually come out with a better edition of the book - one with more supporting information and less historical errors. In a way, I consider this first book my "rough draft".

foolish

Oh, one last thing. I was asked earlier if I could come up with one example - one shred of evidence - of a "heretical" production of a traditionally orthodox image. In Louisa A. Burnham's book, "So Great a Light, So Great a Smoke," she mentions a book which was circulated from the early 14th century called "Ascende Calve". In it, she describes an illustration with a "reference to a 'false prophet who will seduce many'". The iconography depicts the "prophet as wering a papal tiara." This supports the idea that heretics not only had their own way of seeing orthodox images (ala Judgment), but also their own way of using them. Why should the tarot Pope, therefore, only be seen in one way?

By the way, Burnham also make a great case for how some people in early 14th century Languedoc had devised an effective underground network to help the heretic Beguins by hiding, financially supporting and providing them with escape routes. She also cites an example of how two Spiritual Franciscans from Italy were caught with a list of heretic martyrs from Languedoc, further supporting the ties between the two areas.

mjhurst

foolish said:
If you are representing yourself as the spokesman of the official position of the forum...
I am a lurker. Mary explained my "role" quite well. I would add that I tend to surface when something extremely good or extremely bad is posted. I speak for no one.

I joined this thread because Mary mentioned my name and interpretation, and because I thought my suggestions would be helpful to you. You replied by dismissing me rudely, with the bizarre claim that "moral allegories are always more open to general interpretation ala jungian psychology than they are rooted in any historical context". As with most of your claims, this is not merely false, not merely based on ignorance rather than evidence, but is diametrically opposed to the truth. As an example, in my previous post I offered a very sketchy summary of the "historical context" that you claimed I have ignored. I have been offering it for ten years, so your claim that my views are not rooted in historical context are IMO unjustified.

In contrast, I have actually read your posts and your book, and I have offered some specific examples of the things which I characterized rudely. You say rude things about me (and others) without any justification.

For example, the two essays from the Italian Renaissance, published by Caldwell et al., are the best existing evidence of what people of that era would actually think about the Tarot trumps. They are precisely moral allegories and oddly enough neither one mentions "Jungian psychology"... and neither do I. The other interpretation which I recommended for you to read was Ross Caldwell's, and I believe I posted a link. His interpretation is likewise enmeshed in the entire world of period-appropriate historical context, with depth and breadth that you -- quite literally -- cannot imagine. And, naturally, with no recourse to Jungian psychology.

What kind of arrogant fool just makes up crap like "Jungian psychology" and not "rooted in historical context" to slur people who are trying to help him? If you read my previous post -- the one with the pictures -- you should understand that I respect those who have gone before. You show complete contempt for them as well. You do not find them even worthy of consideration.

So in answer to your question, I'm nobody. Just a guy who tried to help you out a bit, got slimed, watched as the months dragged on, and who is now offering his services as a reviewer of your book and your historical theories.

Best regards,
Michael

mjhurst

Hi, Robert,

Ah, now you are an historian again?! That status, historian or non-historian, seems to change minute by minute. Okay, let's do some more history.

Swiryn said:
Oh, one last thing. I was asked earlier if I could come up with one example - one shred of evidence - of a "heretical" production of a traditionally orthodox image.
The phrase "shred of evidence" has been used at least twice in this thread. The most recent was a quote from O'Neill: "There isn't a shred of evidence for a Cathar/Tarot or Cathar/Occult connection..." That's the same kind of evidence I was referring to when I wrote about rejecting the obvious meaning and imposing preferred alternatives without a shred of evidence. We're talking about Cathars and Tarot. You may recall, that was the ostensible subject of your book.

Swiryn said:
In Louisa A. Burnham's book, "So Great a Light, So Great a Smoke," she mentions a book which was circulated from the early 14th century called "Ascende Calve". In it, she describes an illustration with a "reference to a 'false prophet who will seduce many'". The iconography depicts the "prophet as wering a papal tiara." This supports the idea that heretics not only had their own way of seeing orthodox images (ala Judgment), but also their own way of using them. Why should the tarot Pope, therefore, only be seen in one way?
Okay... let's check that out. Pardon me if I suspect in advance that you are taking something out of context and distorting it, but that has been your practice in the past. Just a fuller quote, and a little historical context....

...there is a reference to a "false prophet who will seduce many," and the iconography depicts the "prophet" as wearing a papal tiara. This appears to refer to the brief reign of the anti-pope Nicholas V, Pietro of Corvaro, who was elected May 12, 1328, under the protection of Ludwig IV of Bavaria, but whose surrender to papal authorities in Avignon was negotiated in May 1330, and who finally resigned July 25, 1330.
In other words, a pope (technically, an antipope) was depicted wearing the papal tiara. And this demonstrates what, exactly?

The document was an addition to Vaticinia de Summis Pontificibus. It contained an illustrated list of popes and antipopes, with politically motivated "prophecies". Exactly how does that connect with the Cathars?

Look, if all you want is an anti-Catholic use of papal symbolism, just ask. Lots of people on this forum can tell you: just Google for "Whore of Babylon". There are some really well-known examples, including some by famous artists: one by William Blake, one by Lucas Cranach... in my own collection I've got a couple dozen images of the Roman Catholic Church personified as the Whore of Babylon. She is a popess, a female figure with papal attributes, being used by people who thought the Church was the epitome of evil.

I've also got several dozen other images, like the ones Mary posted, of female figures with papal attributes, also representing the Church (or some closely related allegorical personification) in a positive light. Here's the really cool thing -- you can almost always tell them apart! The people who were making allegories of the Church made them intelligible.

But none of it has anything to do with the Cathar/Tarot thesis. Not unless you've found something new.

Best regards,
Michael

Teheuti

mjhurst said:
Thank you very much for the extravagant praise. (Hyperbole always suggests sarcasm, but I'll pretend that thought didn't cross my mind.)
Truly, no sarcasm was intended. We've certainly had our conflicts, but my respect for your integrity and the quality of your work is extremely high.