Recording Devices

Emeraldgirl

I have never taped a reading or been asked to. I don't often read in public though. I would have a problem with it if a person was constantly stopping and starting a tape. I think it would be very rude. If someone insists on taping then it should be done in a way that you can forget about the tape.

WooMonkey

I'm sure that having a tape recorder running would increase my discomfort level, but I have to agree with bleuivy. I work with learning disabled clients at my day job, and many of them would totally lose the experience of a reading if they had to focus on taking notes.

However, a reader made anxious or irritated by your recorder won't do you much good! I've suggested to some of my clients to look into the more trustworthy online readings. This way they can get a hard copy mailed/emailed to them that they can study at their own pace.

:)

Elven

Hi Rajaneesh, :)

When I was reading from home, many years ago, I would offer the sitter the choice of having the session taped. Each tape had a small disclaimer at the begining, which I had recorded previously, and the tape on each side was 30 minutes. The cover of the cassette had my name and phone number - a space for the date and the name of the client.

I had a recorder - old fashioned now - which had a seperate microphone which attatched to my shirt. The recorder was voice activated, so as long as the microphone was positioned correctly it worked properly - no problems.

There was an extra cost to cover the cost of the tape and the printed cover, electricity, preparation time. It was $5.00.

The cassette recorder and the tapes where situated close to the reading so I had no problems with organising the 'ordeal'.

Advantages I found:
During the reading there were I few things I remember:
+ Not having to slow down for the sitter to write, nor repaeat what I had said.
+ The taping was not always a conscious distraction as during my readings - I use my hands and point to symbols on cards - pick them up and show the sitter - draw their attention to the reading process - get them involved to a comfortable agree, look at them and the cards, not the recorder.
+ They can hear the questions that they ask - they can hear the answer.
+ They can reflect on the entire reading as a whole.
(Sometimes only a few points of the reading are mentioed over and over again by the sitter - the taped reading can assist with asking the sitter to listen to the reading points inclusively and individually.)
+ For myself, I found I started to speak slowly and precisely over the reading.
+ I could basically keep the reading to half and hour - the length of the tape - as long as there werent too many stops and starts.
+ I was very aware of my ethics and boundaries - yep I know this is another very broad subject - but I was taping so I didnt swear ;)
+ The sitter had something to take with them - and this, to some, seemed more important, than others.
+ They had my details on the cassette and they had a record which outlined this time and thier enquiries, and they could refer to it for their next reading.

Some other considerations from my point of view only:
I had to have a degree of self competancy. I practised before hand - I do this now as Im about to offer taped readings in my cafe reading environment. For example - this can be done by doing a reading say for an exchange here on ATF. Instead of writing it straight down into a post, record it as if the person was with you. Include a disclaimer - their name: This reading is for ... todays date is ... the question regarding this reading is ...(whatever other info you want to include) - then proceed with the reading.
LOL!!! It shocks me how I sound! The gaps - the 'ums and ahhs' - the hmmms - the repeated words of my manner. I can sometimes 'hear' myself thinking!! All this happens, but it will become better, and I become more compitent.

The other thing is I am in control of the recorder and I can turn it off at any point during the reading. Especially as idle banter during the reading is boring to listen to over and over again for the sitter listening to the tape. Answer the question on tape and that is the reading! The rest doesnt need to be recorded.

I started offering taped readings (and will again soon) because I prefer a taped reading myself, and I have kept my taped personal readings, some of them are over twenty years old - (before the 'discalimer years' :)) they are so interesting!!! Even my voice has changed. (I can hear myself asking questions and the tone of my voice :))

One thing that I did find REALLY interesting though was - for some people I read for - the tape didnt turn out! Even when I tested it befor the reading - which is a good idea to do with each tape. To me - not meant to be! (So In writing this here - I'll remeber to hand them paper and pen anyway!)

Im sure this list is not complete, but as I do my tarot cafe diary - I'll let you know how it pans out too.

Many Blessings :)
Elven x

Rajaneesh

Blueivy and Elven,

These are excellent points--and Blueivy, thanks for reminding me that things are never as simple as they seem. The learning disability issue is both topical and valid.

I suppose it behooves us all to be as flexible as we can be, and to bear in mind that it is the client who comes first. As Umbrae is fond of reminding us, we need to constantly ask ourselves why we want to read Tarot, and the needsof the client should be a large part of the answer.

ArcanoMáximo

I don't think that "should be".
Maybe cause i'm in Tarot for my own first.
Also if i'm feeling uncomfortable hardly can help someone.
And if it is me who has to stop and start the tape even worse!
For me the moment of a reading is a very special time.
I always light a candle and I burn incense and use a very smooth light.
I don't guess Tarot should be modernized neither.
The images and the words are the ones that should impress the client sufficiently in that precise moment.
Perhaps because I see the reading of Tarot in a different way.
Like another things whose value resides in enjoying it while occurs and then simply to enjoy what remained us engraving in the mind naturally.
For example i never would imagine to record an orgasm !!!
Perhaps it would be better to encourage to use more the natural capacities and except the accessory objects.
For me the mind is very wise and the most powerful recorder at the moment of select the useful memories.

Just my 2 cents.

Ffortiwn

Great topic. I'm with Blueivy on being a reluctant audio-recorder for my important spoken interactions, wherever possible or convenient, for similar (physiological) reasons. However I don't enjoy the experience and usually end up not bothering, and also, unfortunately, missing a significant portion of important info. I still do readings almost exclusively for myself at this time, and I'm surprised I didn't think about this before.

The intuitive side of an interaction is always great and I personally believe this mode is actually even enhanced by my physical situation, in many cases. But whenever I find myself sitting with someone and trying to absorb every word and missing stuff, I remember the benefits of having an audio recording. (Like B, I'm a sloooooow note-taker and that process itself actually reduces what I hear). With Tarot, there is not really a "bottom line" available to me that I might get from a lecture or a meeting. Every single word can have importance. So I'm not yet sure how I would choose to resolve this dilemma.