Recurring 4 of Swords

Beastmaster

I have been turning up a lot of swords in my personal readings lately, but one that keeps coming up is the 4 of Swords.
(I'm using the Universal Waite deck)

I interpret it as meaning time for reflection, taking time to turn inward and meditate on current life, projects, and the future of those projects.

It has turned up 4 times in the past week (I promise I'm shuffling well!! :D ) and so it seems important for me to understand all the nuances of this card.
It has turned up twice in 2 different 3-card spreads, and then twice in 2 larger 10-card spreads.
The 3-card spreads had similar questions-- 1) What should I be focusing on in my writing? 2) When should I be writing?
The larger spreads were more vaguely about the general direction of my life right now (I know-- large card spread + vague question = not great idea - I'm working on my formulation of questions!! :D ) The first time, the 4S turned up in the "things coming into your life" ("personal compass" spread) and the second time (a CC) it was in the "near future" position.

I think that this points to me needing to make sure I take time out and make writing time a priority, and that more important than specifics (iike what should my writing focus on) the most important thing is focusing on designating time to writing, and making that space for reflection, introspection and self-expression a priority.

Are there interpretations of the 4S that I'm missing? I welcome your thoughts!

rwcarter

Welcome to Aeclectic, Beastmaster!

Since you're a writer, is it possible that the 4S could be telling you not to be all in your head where your writing is concerned? Instead of trying to force the words to come out or keeping yourself to a schedule, if nothing's coming out (or if what's coming out isn't working), then don't sweat it. Take a break from the writing.

Rodney

jenster

I like the of 4 of Swords a lot as a card though there is no "strong" meaning to it.

I think it is urging you to not write actually. I think it's telling you to let the ideas mature in you before trying to get them on paper. Perhaps read a lot of good literature instead, take a "passive" stance and then go back to it when it has matured in you, when you're ready.

Have you been trying to write or keep a schedule with writing? Perhaps you've overdone it?

Beastmaster

This is very interesting! I am mulling this over and will come back to reply to each of you a little later.

Thank you both!

lantana

This card has come up a lot for me as a disabled person, telling me not only to physically rest but also to not feel guilty about resting. So I agree with the others, this card is probably telling you to either take a break before you burn out, or examine the ways you might be overworking yourself.

Beastmaster

Welcome to Aeclectic, Beastmaster!

Since you're a writer, is it possible that the 4S could be telling you not to be all in your head where your writing is concerned? Instead of trying to force the words to come out or keeping yourself to a schedule, if nothing's coming out (or if what's coming out isn't working), then don't sweat it. Take a break from the writing.

Rodney

Wow. It seems ridiculous that it did not occur to me to think that way. But yes, I think this is a really good insight. Right now I am definitely in my head a lot with regards to my writing, often almost agonizing over things.
It never even occurred to me to interpret the card this way, though it makes so much sense. Thank you!

Beastmaster

I like the of 4 of Swords a lot as a card though there is no "strong" meaning to it.

I think it is urging you to not write actually. I think it's telling you to let the ideas mature in you before trying to get them on paper. Perhaps read a lot of good literature instead, take a "passive" stance and then go back to it when it has matured in you, when you're ready.

Have you been trying to write or keep a schedule with writing? Perhaps you've overdone it?

I like it too! :)
Your take is like Rodney's above-- and again, for whatever reason, I was totally blind to that interpretation. The idea that the card is saying to ease up makes sense, though maybe rather than stopping, I need to try a new tack and do more free writing to organize my thoughts.

I have been trying to keep a schedule, though not a super strict one, and it hasn't been working out very well!
Thank you-- I am reevaluating my approach!! :)

Beastmaster

This card has come up a lot for me as a disabled person, telling me not only to physically rest but also to not feel guilty about resting. So I agree with the others, this card is probably telling you to either take a break before you burn out, or examine the ways you might be overworking yourself.

This really resonates with me too. I think that a lot of it has to do with my own internal mental pressure, thinking about it too much, dealing with my anxiety, which is impeding my actual progress.
And I do feel guilty when I don't write, which is also not a productive thing.

I think you are right, I need to try a new approach and just rest my brain from it.
I still want to write, but I maybe need to abandon all my current projects (I have 3 pieces in the works right now) and take a break from them for the time being, do some journaling and free-writing, and not worry about it so much.

thank you!!

Grizabella

I write, too. :)

This card may be saying "Chill". Don't work so hard at it. Do something else and give your Muse the day off once in awhile. We can't put out and put out without stopping sometimes to replenish the creative well.

Thirteen

Give the brain a rest

This card may be saying "Chill". Don't work so hard at it. Do something else and give your Muse the day off once in awhile. We can't put out and put out without stopping sometimes to replenish the creative well.
THIS ^ :D

There are writers who can write 9-5 (Dickens was one of those), five days a week and take the weekend off. But most writers are all-or-nothing. I'm guessing you're one of the later. Which means that when you're in writing mode, it's 24/7. No days off, and you sleep/eat when you can. But when you're not in that mode, then nothing happens at all. No matter how hard you try.

Now the 9-to-5 writers will dismiss your way of writing, inisisting that you're not disciplined or that you can write any time you want...if you wanted :rolleyes: They're wrong. Don't listen to them. An all-or-nothing writer, as Griz says, can't write on command, nor whenever they, themselves want. They need to remember this and, when the words aren't coming (or aren't coming well), they need to take time off. If only to give eyes and typing fingers a rest.

One thing is true of all writers--you can't write in a vacuum. So go out, explore the world, read, watch some old movies, or, as in the 4/Swords, go somewhere peaceful and just watch the clouds drift by, listen to the birds singing, and enjoy a quiet afternoon. When the muse comes back and has you writing 24/7...you'll be glad to be well rested and re-energized.