Reflections and Opinions on the Process of Reading by a Tarot (A)gnostic.

jmd

It is rather difficult to enter a thread that has, effectively, the equivalent of over thirty printed pages, and do any of it justice in what one tries to keep succinct...

So let me first reply in a general sense to the thread as a whole, and then to some (and only some) of the more specific points raised (especially in the opening post).

The overall sense that I get when reading through the thread is that many aspects touch upon areas that many of us are sensitive to. After all, if I directly put into question whether what a reader (even an experienced one) takes for granted (that the reading has a way of always being meaningful, and that the cards are always there to be correctly read subject o the reader being receptive), then questioning the very process of a reading will surely touch that more sensitive part within each of us.

When the thread first opened, I tried to make a post, and simply did not know how to best add any personal reflections - I am very thankful that so many have contributed, thereby not only adding various views and insights, but also keeping this more important and difficult thread active.

In the opening post, firemaiden makes quite a number of statements - and one is also forced to reflect as to whether from whence are the readings seen that are 'completely off-the-mark'. Certainly some of my own in the Your Readings section could be seen as this (witness my total blunder in identifying who the current Pope was going to be - though I did get his adopted name right... it could be argued that if the current Pope lives until only 2008, and the person I identified is then Pope, the blunder is not totally 'off-the-mark', but then, I certainly do not wish Benedict the XVIth such short reign).

My mention above would probably be true for each of us that has either posted publicly, or that has contributed to a reading in a group discussion format.

Then, there is also the 'denial' aspect (by the readee) mentioned a number of times both within this thread and in others.

This is somewhat different to the rather derogatory assumption that the reader knows best. Rather, it undoubtedly needs to be recognised that, as when a dear friend sees clearly what may be going on in one's life that one simply prefers to either not see nor admit to oneself, there may indeed be times that the reading, though accurate and given in just the right manner for the person, will be claimed to be 'off-the-mark' and downright rude.

I realise that this too has been mentioned by a number of contributors hereon.

Of course, this doesn't take away from the also very important factor of effective, gentle, and sensible communication. Undoubtedly, when mis-communication occurs, the message is not heard. When a person reacts strongly, this may be a sign that the message is not heard... or a sign that the message has been clearly heard and either rejected as incorrect, or, even, rejected because deeply known to be true but not wanting it to be so.

How does one, then, assess any reading?

If each card is viewed, as suggested, as fresh seeds to allow for an unfolding narrative, could one not simply permit, as a reader, one's flights of fanciful story-telling from taking over and effectively stating as apparent fact what is perhaps the beginnings of a new novel they should perhaps pen?

Here also is where, in my view, broad reading about the symbolism of the individual cards becomes as a foundation upon which the seed may not only take root, but grow in a healthy fashion.

This last point is really the one that many who suggest certification are also advocating (though in my view in a very unhealthy way, for in a reading, the seed needs to be able to germinate and grow in its own manner, and the reading is analogous to the developed plant, not the ground upon which it takes root, nor the waters (feelings) or Sunlight (in-the-moment insight) that sustains it - each important).

Divination, or, if you like, a reading (rather than using the cards as a psycho-analytical or equivalent tool), certainly needs this seed-thought to take shape in the developing precise imaginative faculty of the reader. This 'precise imaginative faculty' is how I would characterise, as well, the experience elf mentioned earlier - and wonderful when it occurs!

As others have said, however, there is also (usually) the person for whom the reading is done. I say usually for one may also do a reading as to what vegetables one will put into a soup one is in the process of preparing (to paraphrase an example given many months ago by Diana).

This other person, as importantly noted, is not only human with all those common needs, feelings, and acts we can generally characterise as human, but also their individual and specific characteristic (hence the recoil from such boxes as the MBTI by many - and that irrespective as to its also useful aspects in furthering understanding of temperamental characteristics).

As individual, they also come for a reading really expecting to take with due care, consideration, reflection and truth what the reader will provide them with for further entertainment (and I am using the term here in its full sense of 'to entertain', 'to think through', 'to reflect upon'). It is this that is perhaps 'useful to the reader' (to paraphrase Helvetica).

This is where sometimes some have seen from this a similarity to counselling. Personally, I would suggest that unless one is a counsellor or has skills in those areas, that it not be a counselling session - for then the readee will walk away as though it was, without the benefit of, usually, a follow up session(s).

Rather, the reading needs to stand on its own, usually provide the person with snippets that they themselves may be allowed to take within and transform in freedom. For different individuals, different readings will likely be best (or even for the same individual at different times or in differing circumstance).

The wonderful discussion about Imagination and Intuition I shall leave for now, and simply comment that this raises, also, the need to take care, during a reading, of the other. And here tmgrl2 and Umbrae have so often brought this ever so important aspect.

How does one do this? with empathy, with love - that characteristic which is opening oneself to the good that is in the other.

It is also this empathy and love that requires that we also step back from the form, to the substance. In discussions, we often focus on the form, for it is through this that we may get closer to the substance (hence the ease with which discussion may head in analysis of words or analogies used). Only yesterday I was at an all-day meeting to work on a response to a federal government document, and each time someone used the term 'industry' or 'bench-marks' or 'standards' with respect to education, I would sense an aspect of myself recoiling: the words (really single-word analogies) nearly masked the important point otherwise being offered.

Certainly, as has long being also shown, the analogies we use also tend to make our very understanding of the topic take on shades or wings of intended metonymy (or any other figures of speech).

In a discussion, this can help further clarity. It also serves to remind us, however, that a reading is not simply an analytical discussion... at least not for most of us, and that analogies or various figures of speech used may indeed have quite different connotations for the person one is reading for.

But to return to the opening post for one small and final comment.

One could make a somewhat similar criticism of any endeavour in the human realm: does 'it' (whatever the 'it' is) always 'work'?

If appropriate, yes, is the easy answer.

tmgrl2

jmd...I was hoping you would pop in sooner or later....again...well said, summarized and, once again....additional insights.

I especially like the idea of thinking that the reading must

"stand on its own."

This struck a deep chord within me.

I have been having some difficulty lately, and I have expressed it here....with offering readings.

Your comment, jmd, tapped quite well into the crux of what I am experiencing.

For thirty years I have worked as a speech/language pathologist...and by the very nature of my work, the remediation and the individual and family counseling are long-term efforts taken on by all involved ...the process shapes itself as we move through time and as the patient reaches goals or newer levels of comprehension or communication.

So....this is WHAT I KNOW.....and now I realize that when I read Tarot,

few of my clients "come back for the rest."

While some do....

I had completely overlooked, forgotten, or, in fact , not even examined the reality that Tarot is often a single moment in time with an individual...and that my purpose is often to

Plant a seed and hope that it may grow and flourish as a form of guidance for the querent.

This is what has been bothering me!!

This statement has opened a door for me.

I haven't felt that I have "done a bad job" of reading with my live querents.

What I have felt is that they come to see me....we do the reading...sometimes, a few come back for another (I am still too new to have a client "base.")

At best, those I see in my daily life, will from time to time comment on how a card or image or on how something I said, started the ripples....

But for those I will meet only once...what I need to remember is

I am NOT counseling...I am at best hoping to plant a seed.

This is more like the "conference" effect. Sometimes, I will go to a three-day professional conference and, as I said before, walk away with ONE NEW SEED that I can plant and make my own. I am quite happy with that.

Thank you, jmd.

I was having a hard time, setting aside what I did/do for a living....and what I do when I read....

(no laughs anyone....I'm baring my soul, here, and now that I SEE this, it seems as though it was right in front of my nose and I missed it....so jmd, see, your post wasn't a reading, but I found my seed!)

This thread has been wonderful. After pm-ing a friend here the other day, I received the suggestion in return that this is a thread well worth re-reading.
And so it is!!

And I love the alternate meaning for "entertain," one which we seldom think of when we hear the word...but it has been used at work in the context you mentioned, jmd....."to think through," "to reflect upon."

Also, fm, I like your clarification of "service." I think I can see that some may find the word less than "suitable" when we discuss Tarot....

I clearly was coming from the perspective of my own philosophy of being
"mindful" whenever I engage with another person....we "serve" each other somehow...even when we communicate with family members and friends, not just with people we encounter in our day-to-day lives in the world.

By "serve" I am of the belief that we are here on this plane to "serve" each other, to be of "service" and that we must attempt to treat all encounters, great and small, as having been served lovingly. Love one another as we would be loved. Serve one another as we would be served.

terri

Nevada

I understand why many people have problems with the term "service"--and most especially with the term "customer service" which I'm certain I overused in my earlier posts, falling back on my work experience. Why is it we use this word "service" so much in business and so little in our personal lives? Perhaps we've allowed the lords of commerce--and of sexism, as was also noted--too much effect on our emotions about language? Service, as it's listed in my dictionary, has numerous meanings, the first of which is:

"1. an act of helpful activity; help; aid: to do someone a service."

To me that epitomizes what we do with Tarot, whether reading for ourselves or others. It is merely a help, not professional (meaning licensed, here) counseling, not something that should require followup, but something that can be of help along the way. It implies a certain amount of responsibility, that of helping rather than hindering, but doesn't imply any level of formal education or licensing that could be compared with, say, seeing a psychologist, as "counseling" might imply, or connection with a religion, as "ministering" might.

But perhaps the word "help" is even better. I strive to provide help, whatever else I do in a reading. This word can comprise all the various experience, learning and talents of readers. The primary responsibility of the reader is to strive to be of help providing answers by way of Tarot.

Does Tarot help? Can even a "wrong" Tarot reading help? I think it can, and if its purpose is stated simply as help, that's not likely to give the readee a false idea that they're being given a magic bandaid for all their troubles. Help is something everyone knows to take at face value and with a certain amount of discernment. At the same time, there is something inherent in the intention, and in the attention given the sitter in a reading, that I'm sure is always of help, no matter how astute the interpretation.

Nevada

Umbrae

In case my series of posts in this thread appeared like unfounded rants…check out this thread.

It’s filled with examples of bad readers – readers who should have waited for their first deck to be given to them – they have no right to read for others…they should be stopped, they are irresponsible.

There are a lot of them out there folks – and no, I’m not discussing any members or posters…

Reading for others is a privilege, not a right.

They are not creating anything positive. They are not of service, they offer no help. And if you read carefully – they place blame onto the sitter.

Sophie

Thank you jmd, Nevada, Umbrae, firemaiden and terri for your illuminating posts. JMD - I take your point about not letting form blind me to content ;)

I have been thinking about this whole thread and my sometimes uncomfortable reactions. Nevada - you do well to distinguish "customer service" from service. For I realise that service - to serve - is in fact much of what I have been doing with my life since I started work. It's the reason I joined the ICRC, and the reason I enjoy doing readings - live and internet readings. To serve.

In the prisons, you must beware projecting what you might want for your "clients", and what they want for themselves. You might look and think - this cell is filthy, they need a bucket and brushes and soap. But what they ask you for is a photo of their wives and a visit to the military judge to see if their case will be reviewed; or time given to look through their papers to check if there has been a miscarriage or something missing, and if so, help with finding a lawyer (I am talking about political prisoners and civilian internees here, rather than PoWs, whom I also visited). It's easy to think you've done your job because you've provided a bucket and the next time you visit, the cell is clean and the prisoners say thank you. But you haven't - not unless you do what they want and really need (as much as you are able). That I believe is doing your best by your clients, and serving them truly (which is not to say you don't also give the bucket, bursh and soap!)

I think with a reading the approach must be the same, and that is why it is so hard. Some demands are difficult to meet, you do the best you can: but it must be the best, otherwise - to come back to firemaiden's original question - no, it doesn't work. The best you have might not be enough for a very troubled querent, but if you do your best honestly it will be recognised as such by the querent and might be of some use - and, as jmd said - something will remain of the reading for the querent to entertain in his/her mind later. Well, I think so. Certainly if you do your honest best (as defined above) by your prisoners - they will recognise it even if the next time you visit they have been knocked about or tortured some more or are now on death row.

Your muffin man guru sounds like quite a guy, firemaiden, and reminds me of my baker, who serves me a smile and a chat with my croissant every morning. I've noticed that quite a few lonely old ladies in the neighbourhood go to the bakery's tea-room for conversation and human warmth.

firemaiden

This was such an interesting thread. I must say for me, nothing has really changed in two years...

tmgrl2

Thanks for the bump, firemaiden...I had forgotten all about this thread....

Well worth reading again....

When jmd first introduced his notion of "entertain" I loved it and am so happy that I latched onto it and use it in my flyers......

terri