releasing decks into the wild....

cyclamen

I was reading about bookcrossing, or 1000 journals, where people just leave a book in a busy place (with some sort of tracking number and reference to bookcrossing on it) and then someone else finds it, and reads it, and maybe logs on to bookcrossing to report that they found it, or not.

Has anyone ever done this with a deck - that is, set it free in the wild, or deliberately hidden it someplace where someone else (random or not, to be tracked or not) would find it? Has anyone ever found a deck "in the wild"? I remember someone posted on here about how they got into tarot because a roommate had found a deck in the seat cushions of a couch and began to do readings with it.

cyclamen

levannah60

Hello cyclan,

I would be very intrested on reading that thread. The idea of a 'traveling' tarot deck sounds like an intresting one, but some person scared of the cards or something would come along and destroy it or something. But it really does sounds intresting.

Osiris Darkmoon

There used to be a "Where's George" type site...registered dollar bills got tracked, not sure if it ever really caught on though....

baba-prague

We do it fairly regularly with cards - not whole decks, but cards we have left over from printing (we keep a good stock in case people need replacements but always - for some reason - you end up with more than you need of some cards). I just leave the odd card here and there - it's quite good fun to see later if it's been picked up. Once we left some on the studio window and quite enjoyed hearing people discuss whether or not to take them!

We only leave the more "positive" cards (yes, I know that's a bit of a crude way to put it - but for people who don't know tarot it's disturbing to find something like a Devil or a Death card, so we never leave those around).

There have been a few discussions of this here on AT. It's something that I think is really nice to do - but of course not everyone has spare cards.

okieinalaska

Oh, I love bookcrossing. And when you mention leaving a deck hidden that sounds like geocaching or letterboxing (both of which I also love).

I only have a couple of decks so parting with one would be very difficult.

I think the only deck I could ever be able to part with though would be Ms Cleo (as they are only a dime or so on ebay). -I don't actually own this deck but the price would be right for giving away. And if the wrong person finds the deck and destroys it or whatever, I wouldn't be as upset.

Amy

Imagemaker

I'd love to do this, too. And I'd be willing to contribute some decks I seldom use and which don't have boxes or books with them. Is there someway we could set up a tracking number or blog (free on www.blogger.com) to follow a deck?

Daizdy

This may sound like a corny idea but what about a traveling ATer's deck? Personally, I would love to use a deck for a week or two that my fellow AT members have used and knowing that it's traveled all over the world to members makes it even more special. Maybe at the end it could be auctioned and the proceeds go to charity or the original owner of the deck keeps it. Would anyone be interested in something like that?

Just a thought....:)

December Fairy

I had a deck that I just did not connect with. So I said a little prayer for it, took it to the store and left it in a cart outside. Busy place, so I know someone found it.

cyclamen

Actually, a travelling AT deck would be kind of fun! Daizdy, I don't think it's a corny idea - or a crossings type blog for tarot decks.... could be interesting.... I have a deck I might be able to contribute to such an effort...

Okieinalaska - what is geocaching and letterboxing?