Remembering, Recording Card Spreads...

augursWell

Currently I find that card spreads are my weakest Tarot skill. I always fall back on old standards that are usually not appropriate to a question.

I'm sure many people have notebooks for this sort of thing and this Forum and online websites are a great resource for all kinds of spreads. But my question is, how do you keep track of the Tarot spreads that you use? Any good ways to remember them? Do you have a personal classification system that helps you remember them?

I'd appreciate any feedback on this.
Thanks.

Orion

Hi augursWell:
I have 'collected' tarot spreads that I have searched on the internet. I basically laid out on paper with a description of the card positions and placed in a 3 ring binder so I can use as a reference. I never stop looking for spreads. My reference binder had 100-some-odd spreads that I have collected over the last 9 years.
I am looking into a couple of different books that I may purchase (pending some advice from fellow AT memebers!) :)

miss_apples

I usually type the spreads up or copy and paste them into Microsoft word or notebook, then I print them up and put them in a folder. The three ring binder that Orion mentioned would probably work better than my pocket folder though.

lunalafey

augursWell said:
Currently I find that card spreads are my weakest Tarot skill. I always fall back on old standards that are usually not appropriate to a question.
But my question is, how do you keep track of the Tarot spreads that you use? Any good ways to remember them?

if you make up your own, how could you forget them?
;) :0

I collect and keep spreads I find much the same way everyone else does. I try them out....or refer to them when there is an issue that needs a specific type spread. Some are different and just easy to remember- I tend to use those more often. I also 'mix & match' positions & meanings & spreads

Aura Wolf

I also have this problem, in a way. I know some spreads by heart. I have a bunch printed off and I have my new book of spreads that are very useful, but I am worried about what will happen when it comes to reading professionally. I'll sure look real professional if I have to refer to a book for a proper spread :| I suppose I'm just a worrywart :D I'll probably just use the spreads I know or made up ones with no problem.

purple_scorp

I think the best spread book is your own.

I've taken a lot of my spreads from this forum. So, thanks all for your contributions.

I usually cut and paste them into Word, as a temporary measure. Then transfer them in my own handwriting, to a small hard-covered notebook. I find this helps to plant them in my brain. I have a small rectangle stamp that I use to demonstrate the position of the cards.

I don't read professionally so it's no problem to flip through the book for an appropriate spread, when doing a reading.

I've also downloaded a couple of Tarot software programs and have dabbled with creating spreads on them.

purple_scorp

wavebreaker

I have written all the spreads that I use regularly in a notebook. The notebook is an old organiser, a loose-leaf system, so I can easily add or take out pages.

Right now, I don't have that many that I need a proper classification system. I just have one page in front that lists all the spreads. However, because of the loose-leaf system, I could always rearrange them if my current table of contents isn't sufficient anymore.

Kiama

I like to collect Tarot spreads to, just in case I ever need them.

But I find that when it comes to most readings, I don't remember or use any spreads at all...

I simply make it up as I go along. I find out the question, what the querent wants to know, then tailor the spread to fit them.

For instance, say somebody came in with a problem with their long-term relationship.

After discussion, I'd write down quickly the things the person wanted to know, but in card positions:

Card 1: The past, what has lead to this problem.
Card 2: Your feelings about this problem.
Card 3: Your partner's feelings about this problem.
Card 4: What you need from the relationship
Card 5: What your partner needs from the relationship
Card 6: What you can do to solve the problem.
Card 7: What your partner can do to solve the problem.
Card 8: Eventual outcome

Not a spread I got from anywhere, just a line of however many cards it took to answer each part of the person's question.

Hope it helps,

Kiama

augursWell

Re: Re: Remembering, Recording Card Spreads...

lunalafey said:
if you make up your own, how could you forget them?
;) :0
Yes, I do find that spreads that make the most sense to me are the ones I remember. I've experimented with a few of my own. Kiama's technique is very similar to one book on the subject that I have.

These are all great ideas. One theme I think I see here is that the act of recording or writing them helps to keep them in mind. The rubber stamp for the cards and the notebook seems particularly like this.

Craftsmanship, huh? :)

Aerten

Frequently I just deal out the cards at random and let my mind make whatever connections it needs to. Perhaps if you feel limited by pre-written spreads, you could just lay them out spontaneously? :cool: