resources for study ~ suggestions

seaweed

Check out "The Fated Sky" by Benson Bobrick--it's a historical overview of astrology's beginnings and how it's influenced mankind, history and culture for the last 6,000 years or so. It's a bit academic, but very clear to read and makes for and otherwise smooth and compelling primer. I'd give it about 4 1/2 stars (out of 5)

Pros:
It actually makes you want to read the books under "works cited" for more info. Also, bare minimum, it's chock-full of facts for rebuffing people who want to debate astrology's legitimacy., esp. with regard to it being shunned by major world religions that once had it as an integral part of their belief systems and the whole tropical v. sidereal debate. Makes me want to read the very old-school works to learn more about how astrology's been used for weather divination and other more esoteric events. Also, b & w glossy pictures showing critical influences astrology has has on history. And since it's written by a well-reknown historical documentarian, it may be a little less biased than most books on the same subject.

Cons:

It seems to be focused most on it's Middle eastern, Egyptian, Roman and Greek accounts with just a tinge of info on other signigicant cultures, such as China, etc. It feels like about 1/3 to 1/2 of the book is missing by leaving out a larger variety of world cultures and belief systems. The book would get a 5 star rating if it said that it was primarily just focusing on astrology's influence in the Western world.

Price:

It's a new book ( Nov. 2005,) so it's still in hardcover (industry standards say it takes about 18 months to make it into a quality paperback release.) List price is $26. Amazon has it currently for $17.60, with used copies averageing roughly $11-$15, which wouldn't be bad for keeping it on-hand as a reference book. The works cited list alone would probably justify the cost. Link to Amazon to read the first few pages: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0743224825/ref=pd_cmp_rvi_1_a/103-8465606-4439006?n=283155

stardancer

You cannot leave out Linda Goodman and her two books, Sun Signs and Love Signs. They are merely about the sun signs, but have a world of practical, indepth and intuitive information about the basics. After 30 years, I still refer to them.

wizzle

All of Robert Hand's books.... all.

"The Twelve Houses" by Howard Sassportas