Reversals. Do you use it or not?

zephyr_heart

Do you use reversals or not? I don't, because each card has two sides (light/dark, positive/negative, yin/yang, etc/etc)

nisaba

I used to when I was new to Tarot. I haven't for years.

There is a search facility at the bottom of the screen - here are just a few of the threads it turned up that might interest you for the diversity of opinions:-

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=117253&highlight=reversals
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=118874&highlight=reversals
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=120720&highlight=reversals
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=121519&highlight=reversals
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=122128&highlight=reversals
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=132555&highlight=reversals

I'm sure if you have the time, you could fine a whole heap more erudite and educated opinions, for and against.

dlgriffin04

zephyr_heart said:
Do you use reversals or not? I don't, because each card has two sides (light/dark, positive/negative, yin/yang, etc/etc)

I have been reading tarot for 3 years years and immediately jumped right into reading reversals. I felt that in order to get the most accurate answer I should include all aspects of the cards...upright and reversed. But, I recently got the Transparent Tarot and decided, because of it's nature, I would just stick to reading upright until I got more familiar with reading the combined images of the cards. So far, I think I'm going to stick with reading just the upright with this deck permanently. I'm learning the cards much more faster and I'm still getting accurate readings. I've had a hard time remembering the meaning to the cards, but I have picked up more this week than I have the whole last 3 years of reading a normal deck. I'll still continue reading both upright and reversed with my normal deck though.

214red

i think to be honest a summary for all the previous threads is:
everyone feels they have to try reversals at some time, however some stick with them, some revert back to non-reversals. Some people only read reversals with certain decks. Many think that its a right of passage to read reversals

the consensus is reversals are needed for everyone, many people rely on their intuition to guide them towards what side of the card its showing.

All in all, nothings wrong, whatever you choose to do is right for you.

omnislashed

Never. Primarily because I use Crowley's deck, and I'm personally uncomfortable with using a singular card to signify an important position in the spread -- so I always rely on corresponding elemental dignities.

Actually, "never" wasn't the appropriate word. In some cases, I'll factor in reversals if it involves a Knight or Chariot ... but only if the surrounding cards confirm that there's an imminent departure of something.

If an upright/well-dignified card doesn't make sense for you in context of the reading, then yes, it's always helpful to consider the shadow.

SunChariot

zephyr_heart said:

I sometimes do, sometimes don't. I feel when the time is right to use them in a reading or not. I have three different methods that I alternate between, depending on mood. But not one of my methods turns a card into its opposite, or turns anything positive to a negative. As you said, I don't use that method as it is unnecessary to me. All cards already contain both sides of the coin in them. But there are many ways to use reversals that do not do that.

When I use reversals I use one of these:

1) using reversed cards to represent delays or blockages. When a reversal comes up it means the energy of the card is present and trying to exert itself but there is something blocking it from manifesting itself. So there will be a delay till it happens. It can just mean the querent needs to be patient or that there is somethign they need to do to remove the blockage before the event can happen...

2) using reversed card to represent internal influences and upright cards to represent outer influences. EG the 6 of Cups upright (the way I read) could say that someone loves the querent. It's about someone else's feelings of love. The 6 of Cups could say that they love someone else (or be about self-love). It's abotu the querent's feelings of love.

3) my favourite and most used (as I invented it LOL)

My reversals method:

The Majors don't change meaning whether upright or reversed. Although a reversed Major card can be trying to draw attention to itself.

As for the Aces to 10's of the Minors, they refer back to the Major Arcana cards, plus the general meaning of the suit added in.

The Aces to 10's upright go as follows

Ace=Card 1 (the Magician)
2's=Card 2 (the HP)
3's=Card 3 (the Empress)
4's=Card 4 (The Emperor)
5's=Card 5 (the Hierophant)
6's-Card 6 (The Lovers)
7's= Card 7 (The Chariot)
8's=Card 8 (Strenght, or Justice if you prefer)
9's=Card 9 (The Hermit)
10's=Card 10 (The Wheel of Fortune)

And then I add to the the general theme of the suit. For examople: the 3 of Swords upright could mean caring nurturing thoughts, the 3 of Wands could indicate a desire to create something cariing and nurturing between two people...

Ok, hope I'm still making sense.

As for the Aces to 10's reversed, they pretty well continue on where the uprights left off, again with the general meaning of the suit added in. The Aces to 10's reversed go as follows:

Aces=Card 11 (Justice, or Strength if you prefer)
2's=Card 12 (the Hanged Man)
3's=Card 13 (Death)
4's=Card 14 (Temperance)
5's=Card 15 (the Devil)
6's=Card 16 (the Tower)
7's=Card 17 (the Star)
8's=Card 18 (the Moon)
9's=Card 19 (the Sun)
10's=Card 20 (Judgment)

Again with the general meaning of the suit added in. Eg the 7 of Cups reversed could mean hopeful feelings, that the person feels hopeful and/or that there is reason for them to feel hopeful. The 7 of Swords would mean that the person is thinking hopeful thoughts. Perhaps he/she is working with positive thoughts and affirmations...on the issue to help heal it...etc

As for the Courts, upright they just have their regular meaning. Reversed goes as follows.

Page reversed=the Fool

Knight reversed=the World/the Universe

Queen reversed=the hand of the Divine or the hand of fate if you prefer, saying (depending on your belief system) that either G-d or fate is taking a hand and helping the person through the issue.

King=It is not in the best interest of the querent to know. This usually tends to mean that the issue involves a karmic lesson that the querrent is meant to learn on their own. And having the answer just handed to them just now would take away from their learning their lesson on their own as they are meant to.

Hope that makes sense to you, if not feel free to ask. LOL

(4)I have also tried at times to use reversed card to represent unconscious feelings and knowlege, and upright cards to indicate conscious feelings and knowledge. But it's been a while since I used them that way. I don't tend to do it anymore.

Babs

JennyNY39

I always use them. To me, they have their own wisdom, and their own stories to tell. They also help me judge the depth and severity of a situation. I think I would feel very stilted, as if half of my book was missing, if I didn't read reversals! And after each reading, I put my cards all upright before I put them away.
But it's true...it's just what personal preference you have. Tarot has no hard and fast rules. The only person I go to for readings uses strictly upright and she is spot on every time :)

Kimberlee

I do like reversals, but don't use them all the time. Some decks don't lend themselves to reversals, especially when their backs aren't reversable. When reading for my friends who also read tarot, I take into account their preferences regarding reversals. Also, if I am not comfortable with a new deck, I may not read reversals.

When I do use reversals, I tend to look at various alternative meanings regarding the same "subject" of the upright card. For example, the 3 of Cups reversed could mean a subdued celebration, delayed celebration, or neglecting to celebrate.

~Kimberlee

DarkElectric

Sometimes.

I "plan" reversals. Meaning I'll shuffle, then take a small number of cards, reverse them, and re-incorporate them into the deck. I choose an odd number of cards, no more than 5 of them, and choose them sight unseen.

If any come up in a reading, I read them as either blocked energies, something which has already occurred and is no longer an issue, or potential yet to be unlocked, depending on the card's position in the spread. I always seem to be able to tell which condition applies, too.

Sanctum_Priest

Never!