Rider-Waite on Ellen

Orenda

As the 100-year anniversary of this deck is next month, I sent suggestion to the Ellen Degeneres Show that they have a tarot segment in the coming month. Would be a blast to watch her being read!

heehee

Curtis Penfold

Orenda said:
As the 100-year anniversary of this deck is next month, I sent suggestion to the Ellen Degeneres Show that they have a tarot segment in the coming month. Would be a blast to watch her being read!

heehee

That's great. I love Ellen and feel Tarot is often misunderstood. Hopefully this will help it.

Alta

She is likely one of the few hosts who might actually go for that idea.

canid

Alta said:
She is likely one of the few hosts who might actually go for that idea.

Hmm. Good idea. Maybe if a bunch of us asked for the same thing, then directed her here so she realizes it's not really a minority doing woo-woo stuff, just so she doesn't make fun of it too bad.

KingofCups

I don't know, I kinda get the feeling that the less said about it in pop culture, the better. Madonna has almost single handedly turned the word Qabalah from a mysterious subject into a joke, in America at least.

It's not that I would prefer it stay a mystery to everyone, but better that than a situation where every time I explain to anyone that I am studying Qabalah (I am not a Qabalist though), I have to watch the conversation drift into celebrity happenings. Now I usually don't tell people anymore.

What a nightmare it would be if someone as famous as Miley Cyrus or something suddenly expressed a huge interest in Tarot.

Curtis Penfold

KingofCups said:
I don't know, I kinda get the feeling that the less said about it in pop culture, the better. Madonna has almost single handedly turned the word Qabalah from a mysterious subject into a joke, in America at least.

It's not that I would prefer it stay a mystery to everyone, but better that than a situation where every time I explain to anyone that I am studying Qabalah (I am not a Qabalist though), I have to watch the conversation drift into celebrity happenings. Now I usually don't tell people anymore.

What a nightmare it would be if someone as famous as Miley Cyrus or something suddenly expressed a huge interest in Tarot.

You're right. Like Marylin Manson, kind of makes the Occult seem weirder than it has to be.

But now that I think about it, if presented, I'd want it to be presented seriously by somebody people actually respect.

Like a News Anchor. Or a doctor. Dan Brown?

(As a side note, being a Mormon, sometimes people make Mormonism seem really...boring. So when Napolean Dynomite came out, we were actually really excited to see Mormonism seem cool. It's different though. I can see that).

KingofCups

Dan Brown? God no, what a charlatan.

Curtis Penfold

KingofCups said:
Dan Brown? God no, what a charlatan.

Alright. Maybe not a good pick. I knew a guy who believed in the Holy Grail theory that got really excited with the Da Vinci Code. Said it helped the public think about something they never even knew about.

People that are respected...

Past presidents? My dad was bashing astrology and I mentioned that Ronald Reagan's wife practiced it, and he kind of didn't comment after that.

Robin Williams? I mean, an older more conservative individual would be a more positive influence on how society views Tarot than a no-class pop figure.

KingofCups

I still hold that it's better if it's not in the pop culture consciousness, because then it just debases it into another cutesy/disposable idea.

Orenda

Where to start?! :p

I don't think any representative for the tarot would be acceptable to everyone in this community online, let alone tarotists worldwide. And pop culture? Realistically, if information prompts someone to learn more, to read and create their own understanding of things, then I'm all for it.

There's something beyond occult into controlling when one person or group of people decide that information should be withheld so that others won't be 'trusted' with it due to their <insert reason here>. I'm not into that censorship, and would rather shake my head at adamant ignorance.

On Ellen, I would howl at a comedic reading session, and would embrace the kind-hearted way she has with others and their interests. When you look at her current fixation on that motivation speaker who released cassette sets in the 80s (can't remember his name, ugh) and her conversations with Deepak, you see that she's actually seeking the spritual, the shadow work, and the ascension. I would be very curious how seriously she took a reading!

My two cents :p