Rider Waite or Universal Waite

Little Baron

Was just wondering where people stand on this one!

I have been using the original Rider Waite. I have had this deck for a number of years and as I have explained in a few of the other threads, have never really delved into its symbolism until this time. I am enjoying the experience a lot.

However, in refering to my deck yesterday, I noticed the absence of 'The heirophant'. I checked and checked again. I looked in my box, I looked everywhere but he had vanished. I don't know if anybody else has had this experience. I have never mislaid or lost a card from any deck before. Reasons for why this may have happened, aside from me being an idiot for not taking care of the card, I look forward to your insights.

Due to the absence of this card, I decided that I would purchase another Waite deck so that my readings are complete. Instead of buying a replica of the first (maybe my missing hirophant will turn up at some point), I thought I would buy the 'Universal' Waite. I just opened the deck and can see the lavishness and sharpness of the images in comparison to the former deck but wondered if any of you feel that some of the original mystery has been lost since they have been re-coloured and in some cases, re-drawn. I know, from reading reviews, that the revised edition brings a lot of extra light and meaning to their readings. I suppose that what I am asking is 'do you look at this deck as a stronger version of the Rider Waite or do you see it as a completely different one'?

Look forward to your responses.

Yaboot

Little Baron

After writing the last post, I started looking through my 'Universal' deck again. I wanted to compare some of the images with the 'Rider Waite', so I pulled the deck side by side to look at any differences. As I sifted through the deck, one card sprung from beneath the other. I always like to see what cards jump and as I picked it up, I realised what I half-expected, that it was 'The Hierophant'.

I am pleased that he is back safe and well, and I am also pleased that I have the 'Universal' to refer to. While I was shopping for the 'Universal', I also bought 'Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom' by Rachel Pollack. I had heard so many good things about that book and had meant to buy it for some time. I had looked in my local book-sellers but they did not have it. I travelled on the train this afternoon to purchase the 'Universal' deck and the book was there. Maybe 'The Heirophant' thought that I needed that information and hid himself so that I would travel and find it.

Both decks are safe and well and I can continue with my studies.

Yaboot

Macavity

I think the Universal Waite is indeed an excellent thing? ;)

I think it's greatest asset is that one can actually SEE SOMETHING in some of the cards esp. e.g. the King of Pentacles. I think then, having seen, one can always return to the original renditions (for the colours etc.?), but perhaps with new insight...

Macavity

divinerguy

I have the Albano-Waite. The different colors are a nice change of pace from the Rider-Waite.

I use both, but I'd lean toward the Albano if asked to choose between the two.

sagitarian

The universal waite is easier for me to read, the colors are softer, and everything is more detailed, more pleasing to look at with still using the original art ideas, same images, just more clear and softer.

Really it's a personal choice, but I like my universal waite deck!

paradoxx

check out www.facade.com and the aquatic tarot for another beautiful reindition of this classic deck.

There is a power to each version of teh Rider-Waite each with its own interpretations, i can see the use of the original design (as i have that style in the form of an electronic deck) but the universal waite with its intense golds and reds makes for a very useful diviniation tool.

rota

Since I started with Tarot as a kid, I always had a special affection for the RWS. I've flirted with other types of decks, and some of the relationships were fairly serious, but it's the RWS that I consider to be my own Tarot standard. (I can hear the chorus of booing out there in the Thoth galleries...! I love you guys.) There's just something about the American version of European medievalism that rings a little bell for me. All that being said, I have most of the various versions of the RWS here at hand, and I think I prefer the Albano Waite so far. It's colorful *enough*, without going overboard. The Universal redrawings lose some of the charming flatness and skewed perspectives of Pixie's drawing, so while I use it often it's not my favorite.

I feel that the 'problems' with Pamela Colman Smith's images are a large part of what makes the symbolism so effective for me. Which is to say - since they're not realistic, they are therefore representative of something non-physical.

I'm hoping for more versions of the RWS to appear in the future.

Emily

My first Rider Waite was the original version in the blue/gold box, I still don't think its very pretty to look at plus if I'd known that the other versions were easier on the eye I would have bought one of those but it took me nearly a year to get hold of a Universal Waite and I'm glad I persevered, the colouring brings the cards to life, there are details now that you can see clearly, it is a very appealing deck and the only Rider Waite I use now for reading and study.

skysilver

I like the Universal waite deck better...

The colors are softer and catching to my eyes... It really does make reading the cards easier. I have the original rider waite deck and the colors are more harsh and a little harder to look at. I will probably get the universal waite someday.

Sulis

There`s a site somewhere where you can see all the different versions of the Waite deck. Does anyone know which site it is?

Crystalmynx xx