riffle shuffling

teawoman

Great thread, Nisaba. The link 'how to riffle' is wonderful. He shows slowly and step-by-step, It's a modified riffle, corners only, no arching thing afterwards. For a deck that's thin, flexible, and not thickly coated this might be non-damaging. Anyway, it was fun to watch!

My one riffle experience was at a tarot workshop with two famous presenters. One of them began the segment by realizing that he/she had forgotten to bring up his/her own cards and asked to borrow a deck from a participant in the front row. The presenter then proceeded to energetically riffle those borrowed cards! I was flabbergasted.

Farzon

I riffle sometimes but veeeery carefully. Means, I just lifting the two packs up and let the cards glide or of my hands. No bending.

Usually I start with a stack shuffle, dealing the cards in packs of two or three at a time to five or seven or six stacks (whatever feels right). I rearrange them and then pull cards from the pile and lay them up on top, then a few on the bottom etc. You can also do an overhand shuffle that way, I think it's called wave shuffling.

Sirena84

I am a riffler too })..
I riffle a couple of times, then I do overhead shuffling until I am done connecting to the energy of the situation and people involved and have some visualisation.. I don't cut for selecting the cards.. I fan them out in a semi circle big enough so I can sit in the semi circle, keep visualising, hover my hands over them and use my intuition to pick the cards.. This method has rarely failed me so far...

Bookwight

Wow, nisaba, a client who actually asked if you minded. She’s a treasure!

Amanda said:
I wondered about the lover hand too.. :joke:

The lover hand, ah. :shhh: You will be let into the secret when you’re ready. :joke:

As for my shuffling… For a while, I used to wash (swirl them all around on the table). But I discovered that this quickly damages the cards: makes the edges chip and/or go fluffy, makes the corners fold, makes lamination peel. So I stopped doing that. (Besides, you end up with reversals, which I no longer use.)

I also used to riffle, albeit very gently — and NEVER bridging them, even though I love bridging normal playing cards (love that zzzip!). I just stopped riffling tarot cards last year because I noticed some of my newer decks developing a warp to them pretty damn fast. Their card stock seems to be much thinner than my old favourites.

So now I just lace overhand, and deal into random piles. Always very gently. I want my decks to last.

gregory

I have no idea what this lacing and so on mean. I went to wiki - don't get that lot either but I do know that the way overhand is being described I have never seen anyone do it. So either I am very thick, or it isn't done as described - even as described by nissy here. Makes no SENSE :(

Bookwight

I may have been using the wrong term by saying "lacing"? Maybe I should've just said overhand. Goes to show, I never know what I'm talking about. :p Anyway, it's demonstrated in this video (only 2 and a half minutes, and pretty clear):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5tLNHuvf6s

gregory

Thanks. That doesn't look at all the way it sounds in words. Also - riffle shuffling I do on a TABLE, not like he does...

nisaba

Which is my lover hand ? I need to know this :joke:
<clears throat>

It was an interesting typo. given that they are nowhere near each other on the keyboard. But still a typo.

There must be fifty ways to leave your lower, as Paul Simon says.

Laura Borealis

I don't think I've ever seen someone overhand shuffle in person. Only in videos. I tried to learn, once, but it felt awkward and I didn't enjoy it.

I riffle but not the same way I've seen in any video, either. I have my hands basically covering the backs of my two stacks, and I only shuffle the corners together. It doesn't damage the edges at all - I've never seen edge damage. It may bow them over time, but I've had decks bow that I've barely used - I think bowing has more to do with humidity and card stock.