right foot hanged man

thorhammer

Rosanne said:
<snip>
. . . it is the wrong foot on the right leg.
<snip>
Hang about here*. I've followed this thread quietly, as I'm leagues and leagues out of my depth with this deck, but I just wanted to say . . .

What could this possibly mean, if it were deliberate that there were two left feet??

Anyone? I must think more on it, but my offerings will be wild and woolly, and not at all academically valuable.

\m/ Kat "breathlessly inverted"

*pun actually not intended, included for my amusement :D

Durant Hapke

Brothers, and Sisters,

Wild night of walking the dark streets of night to get a fresh six, and grab mail from my box.

Night, this night, has been filled with a bunch of naked feet.

Mentioned to Sam, all this wild "hang man action" -- she called me out from the pay phone in the big house -- I think they're going to keep her in there like a few weeks or something -- she wants to come by and have her photo taken when she gets out, says she has it all figured out -- the leg position that is -- she has a lot of time to think in the slammer it would seem -- her legs are much nicer then Jack bird Big Bubble Carver down the block -- Oh, there's a story there as well, but not right now, I'm about to head out for some cocktails.

While waiting, and smoking (my scanner a bit nicotine sainted, but a very good one), I jack bird did the deal that Rosanne did throw out.

http://www.duranthapke.com/tarot/SS.HANGED.CLOSE.jpg

Card scanned at 750 pixels per inch -- that's a huge 28 megabyte file -- this image sized down for posting of course, but if you'd like to have me post a larger file, Jack bird throw that action at me -- make a request and I'll get that thing going.

I'm feeling there are no toes per sec...

Not sure if it ain't like a bad night on the hard gravel...

Like walking out to the mail box in the dead, and stepping on a big nail...

And, even if toes showed up in bright banana or some candy apple color, if she was able to Jack her anatomy around bad enough to put the mans -- hanging that is -- foot on backwards -- that meaning he would have two left feet, or right feet -- then logic would say that she might be just cracked enough to simply put the toe nails on the wrong side of the foot, yes?

I'm wondering when I'll get back in tonight... It's an interesting deal...

Durant "I walk with the Buddha" Hapke

Debra

AAARGH

Now I'm back with the "two left feet" crowd.

That just ain't what the sole of the foot looks like.

On the other hand (he he he) take a look at his hands and his genitals. They don't look right either :bugeyed:

Durant Hapke

Brothers, and Sisters,

Big Bubble Carver down the block says, "nail up though the bottom, you can't bend your foot around any other way."

Spoken by the wild man in the photos, and he is also very limber.

He's laughing because he's got his foot on display here.

He said he would put a nail in it if we all would like, or paint polish on the underside of his Jack bird toes...

Durant "our front is in back" Hapke

Rosanne

Well thanks to the man with the scanner that's better than mine.
I eat my Hat and lick my toes from underneath :D
That is a sole- not a good one- but a sole (sure you did not doctor it????) The yellow bits are ochre nails on my image.

Do not know what to think now. Hmmmmm two left feet? eney- meeny- miney- mo- On odd days I will go with two left feet and on even days I will choose the soul/sole of his feet.
Going to take the bleeder down to my friends the printers tomorrow and see what they say with their super duper wizz machine. I wonder if Freida did Yoga too?
~Rosanne

Abrac

I like the sole theory. Hands and foot all pierced through the underside. You don't really see a heel though. The whole picture is so stylized anyway maybe Harris and Crowley didn't think it was that critical. For some reason I just can't imagine Harris making a blunder like that.

Debra

To my eye, some of the cards are much more developed than others--more settled and carefully done, I guess is what I mean. This is one I'd put toward the "less carefully rendered" end of the spectrum.

But still what a beautiful image--the geometry and colors are captivating.

kwaw

Thanks Durante

no toenails and clearly the sole.

Cat*

What I see when I look at my large Thoth card is something different than what a cell phone photo shows, so unfortunately I can't illustrate my words. :(

I see toenails and an ankle bone, no matter how much I twist my mind around the foot like the snake around the other. And although I agree with Durant Hapke's clear photographic demonstration that (even with the right foot attached to the right leg) it's impossible to actually get a living human being into this position, I still believe this is meant to be the upper side of the foot.

Not sure if there's any meaning behind it or if it's the one embarrassing mistake that has slipped by all the critical eyes pre-printing... I mean, anatomy generally isn't photorealistic in this deck anyway, and very obviously not in this particular card (just turn it around and tell me that guy doesn't have weird proportions, not to mention the weird skull surgery that must have happened to his head!), so that would support the mistake theory. Then again, it could just be a clever device to get us to think about perspectives and to take up another point of view. Among other things, this card is about turning your perspective around, isn't it?

Anyway, I have enjoyed this discussion so far and have come to rather like the ambiguous foot...

kwaw

Cat* said:
I see toenails and an ankle bone

Its a bit like one of those rabbit/duck pictures, once you see the ankle bone as the heel it fits into place as the sole of the foot - I have no problems at all in seeing it very clearly as the sole of the foot.