Ring Cycle Tarot by Allegra Printz

gregory

Odd. I preordered this one - and it has disappeared from my accounts with no trace. Not dealing now; too complicated... There will be time !

Le Fanu

So I have had notification that the error in my order has been corrected. Should be dispatched within three days. But Oh dear god, with the Book Depository, there's always such a wait.

You'll all get yours way before me. And those of you who order it at the end of next week will get yours before me.

Just clarify for me again - is it that uber-glossy typical Schiffer cardstock? It's not clear from any of the comments. Not matt, I see, but does that mean very glossy?

Shade

At BATS, the deck's creator dressed as a Valkyrie and had us listen to excerpts from Das Rheingold, Ride of the Valkyries and other pieces from the Ring Cycle. I attached a picture of her to this post.

Attachments

• Allegra.jpg
    Allegra.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 119

Telspepper

Wonderful picture shade! I want that head piece!
Could you, please, provide a description of the card stock? I'm sure yours would be better than mine.
Le Fanu maybe once its disbatched you will get it quickly.

Phenix

I should have mine delivered tomorrow from Amazon. If no one else reports on it before hand, I can at least compare it to my Mary-El's cardstock (which slightly disappoints me, though the deck itself is gorgeous).

Telspepper

Oh please do, Phoenix!

Phenix

I realized I have 3 Schiffer decks to compare, and they were all quite different! The Mary-El, Tarot D, and my newest Ring Cycle :D

First of all, the Ring Cycle cards are *definitely* not as shiny, thick, and chip-prone as the Mary-El. The Ring's cardstock is definitely thinner and more matte than Mary-El's, but not as completely matte (but still vibrant) and supple as the very delightful Tarot D cardstock.

If I were to compare the Ring cardstock to other big-name brands, I would say it is like a thicker Llewellyn. Downsides I see (just having it a short time) is that it seems like you might need to be careful of creasing. It is a hair long for me to riffle shuffle easily, but I can still manage (and I have long fingers) otherwise the cardstock itself doesn't seem to impede shuffling.

Overall a *huge* improvement over the older Schiffer cardstock. But I must say they should do more like how the Tarot D is - that cardstock seems uncreasable, unchippable, not too slippery, a pleasure to handle, and the images pop :D

Pics comparing the three:

First no flash, but each card placed in the same position on my table with the overhead light reflecting on the card. VERY reflective Mary-El (you can even see the reflection of my fingers in the bottom right), only a little with the Ring, and not at all with the Tarot D.

http://i.imgur.com/0XZ4QuE.jpg

Second all three together with flash, third showing edges (L to R: Tarot D, Mary-El, Ring)

http://i.imgur.com/rMFGk3L.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/yMW2ATo.jpg

Hope this helps!

Le Fanu

Lovely! Thank you so much for that. It really gives a sense of what the deck is like. It definitely looks less shiney.

A question - something that has bothered me ever since I first saw them - do you find the two-toned borders distracting or is it less evident in the flesh?

If possible, any chance of posting a pic of a small selection of your favourite cards? Any that stand out? if you're too busy, I understand. I'm dying to know what some of the cards look like. I have only seen - I think - two. The ones that were included in the promotional material.

Irischacha

I'd also love to hear about the borders. I canceled my preorder because those borders look so ugly online. They do seem like they would be distracting.

But maybe they are fine or at least tolerable in person?

AJ

thank you Phenix. I too would love some card images if anyone has time to post them