Rite or Religion

foolMoon

For me, Tarot is a tool for divination. I could have used other things such as mag pies in the garden - one for the sorrow (salute), two for the joy. One problem is mag pies are never there whenever I want to ask questions, and they tells me only 2 things = bad or good.

Tarot is more flexible, convenient and selfless. Whenever I need it, it is there ready for another shuffles. Plus I could ask all sort of different questions = essential tool good value for money.

alchemist1248

By this definition, religion is a unified set of beliefs about the world (in line with your view), but specifically a set of beliefs about what is sacred in the world. Moreover, these beliefs have a social element to them, and result in the creation of rites to honor the profane--if not in a "church", then in a religious community.
But it's also not a religion the way that Hinduism is a religion, or Janism, or Sikhism. The question of communal practice being as important as communal belief (orthopraxy versus orthodoxy) is relevant to all religions, not just Abrahamic ones.

I have to reject your definition, or any definition, that links religion to "sacred" things. I have thought for a while that we create false distinction between "sacred" and "mundane" things. If we have spirit, then everything you do is spiritual.

As to the community of practice, is that not what we are forming in a way? To form rites and commonality we must communicate and find out what we need.

JackofWands

I have to reject your definition, or any definition, that links religion to "sacred" things.

You're welcome to do so as you please, but I offered that definition because Durkheim is one of the most influential scholars in the study of religions, and his definition captures elements of religious practice that are generally recognized as important but that get left out of your version of things.

I have thought for a while that we create false distinction between "sacred" and "mundane" things. If we have spirit, then everything you do is spiritual.

Ah, but that's a personal opinion, isn't it? I understand that in your pantheistic view, there may not be a distinction between the sacred and profane, but every organized religion in the world does make that distinction. (Even neopagan practices generally involve setting up an altar or sacred space to distinguish religious/magickal practice from mundane life.) It's a fundamental part of what religion is.

Once again, if you're talking about being "spiritual", that's another matter entirely. But spirituality and religion are not by any means the same thing, and as I understand it, this thread is about Tarot as a religion. To that, my answer remains a firm "no" (except, as previously mentioned, with Thelema). If you want to talk about Tarot as spirituality, then sure, go for it. Spirituality is a wholly personal thing, and there's no one who can tell you whether your individual connection with the divine is or is not correct.

As to the community of practice, is that not what we are forming in a way? To form rites and commonality we must communicate and find out what we need.

Unless you're creating a Tarot church that meets and prays on a weekly basis, are structuring group rituals around Tarot cards, are invoking Tarot cards at weddings and baptisms, and so on, then no, that's not what we're doing. This forum provides a social platform to discuss the use of Tarot cards, yes, but that use differs wildly from the rites of religious practice. Moreover, I think that most readers would not agree with the contention that we "need" to create such a religious practice.

Once again, if Tarot is becoming an increasingly important part of your spirituality, that's fantastic, and no one on earth can tell you it's not valid. But in the wider sense, moving beyond you as an individual and talking about the larger world of Tarot readers, no, I do not think that Tarot can be accurately labelled a religion.

Barleywine

My experience with the Builders of the Adytum was instructive in this regard. As long as the tarot study material was based on Paul Foster Case's knowledge and experience, it was mainly qabalistic in tone and content. When I reached the end of that course of study, I began to receive lessons under the auspices of Dr. Anne Davies, after which things got decidedly more ritualistic and quasi-religious. As I have no interest in anything remotely religious, I soon dropped out. The point is that anything can be turned into a religion, all it needs is the right "pitch" and a willing (or gullible) constituency. But for me, there is often a wide gulf between "can" and "should."

violetdaisy

I can't see tarot as a religion. I'm not all that educated about the definition of religion-this thread has been very educational on that - but I know my beliefs exist with or without tarot so tarot in and of itself can only be a tool to me.

werewolfmoon

Im a Wicca and I use the tarot as a tool for divination and ocassionally in candle magic. Ive also used them to 'read' someone who's handled them with starling results! [emoji12] Psychometry is a blessing and a curse.

SunChariot

I've been trying to connect with others lately. Joining this forum to talk to others who know about Tarot, looking for others in my area who identify as pagan or pantheist. I have been looking at what I believe in.

One of the things I believe in is the Tarot. In the ten years that I have been reading I have put more and more faith in the cards, and the connection they bring to others and the divine. As I've considered my beliefs I have started to wonder about others. What is Tarot really? Is it just a tool? Is it a religion in itself? I'm wondering how other feel.

Is there enough to Tarot to be a religion? or just a rite of divination for several religions?

I would appreciate your opinions.

I wonder about that myself, if Tarot could be considered a religion. It's not traditionally considered one, but I can see how it could be.

That depends a lot on what you think is answering you when you read. If you think it just connects you to your inner self/unconscious...that the images just bring out hidden buried thoughts or memories...then now I don't see that as a religion in any way,

IF you believe that divination is a conversation with the Divine (God/the angels...which is actually my belief) then I can see how it could be a religion. Or at the least a tool to speak to God and find out what he wants for your life, how he wants you to behave, the meaning of life, how life works and why...to help develop your moral code and to find out how God wants you to lve you life, what you are to learn from the life experiences you are sent, and why they are sent, the best ways to treat others...etc and so forth...a lot of this is what traditional religions teach.

In that sense, Tarot can be very like a religion. But one that teaches you how to talk directly to God and get more personalized answers, instead of needing an intermediary or hearing more generalized answers that apply to us all.

Personally I don't really beleive in one religion more than any other. I think they are all ways to communicate with God, understand life, live well and be our best selves. Maybe I am a Tarotist by religion. LOL

I just saw another thread talking about prayer being a part of religion. But that made me think that if I believe that it is God answering me through the cards(which I personally do) and I ask the cards "Please tell me what I can do to live my life in the best way?" and pull some cards for the answer, is that really much or any different from a prayer. Of course I do pray separately too. And obviously to God, not to the cards. But Tarot is, to me I guess, a set of beliefs on how to communicate with God and find out his will for you. And that is kindof like what a religion is.

Babs

SunChariot

For me, Tarot is a tool for divination. I could have used other things such as mag pies in the garden - one for the sorrow (salute), two for the joy. One problem is mag pies are never there whenever I want to ask questions, and they tells me only 2 things = bad or good.

Tarot is more flexible, convenient and selfless. Whenever I need it, it is there ready for another shuffles. Plus I could ask all sort of different questions = essential tool good value for money.

Yes, this too of course. It does not have to be Tarot. I have a number of different divination tools. It does not have to be Tarot. They all serve the same purpose.

Babs

Teheuti

One of the things I believe in is the Tarot. In the ten years that I have been reading I have put more and more faith in the cards, and the connection they bring to others and the divine. As I've considered my beliefs I have started to wonder about others. What is Tarot really? Is it just a tool? Is it a religion in itself? I'm wondering how other feel.

Is there enough to Tarot to be a religion? or just a rite of divination for several religions?
I would never call Tarot "a religion" in that few tarotists share beliefs about its sacredness, a connection with a specific form of deity, or a set of practices regarding those things. Is a candle a religion?

Tarot/Tarocchi/Il Trionfi are simply a set of cards (discrete images on paper), originally a game with pictures on the Trumph cards whose allegorical references were easily recognized within the culture. Anything else is what you project onto them. Those who use the cards for consultations, divination or fortune-telling are a hughly diverse group who share few beliefs in common. One doesn't have to be religious at all to use them.

However, you may, indeed, make them into a personal religion. Likewise, a group may assign particular significances to them and make them into digest of their own religious beliefs and tool of their religion.

Teheuti

I have thought for a while that we create false distinction between "sacred" and "mundane" things. If we have spirit, then everything you do is spiritual.

There is no "must" in all of this. You may see spirit in everything, but that doesn't mean I have to (whether I do or not).

I have no idea what "rites and commonality" you are referring to. Please give an example.

Most religions tend to fragment over schisms regarding their rites and so-called commonality. I think you'll find in discussions here - if you stay long enough - that you'll agree with someone on one point and totally disagree with the same person on another. And then there are those who cut up their decks and sprinkle glitter on everything before gluing the result to a coffee-cup.