Robin Wood 3 of wands: how far into the future?

olivia1

When asking a question about how someone would feel about doing something within the near future (subjective, i know) and the 3 of wands pops up:

image:

http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/album/77/Robin_Wood#photo=135.jpg

would you think that means that

1/ the person sees it as something that they see possibly happening but not for a long while?

2/ Something they see possibly happening and could happen quiet soon?

3/Something else..like none of the ships are the right one and they are hoping for the right one (maybe the right person or right moment) before they decide that they're in?

4/ Or perhaps he doesnt even have a ship that is he waiting for and just thinks the idea of having a ship of his own would be nice but doesnt realistically see it happening (so I guess, the idea is nice but doesnt think the situation will realistically happen)?

Obviously, the meaning would depend on the surrounding cards but if i were to go just by this card alone, I would be very divided. the figure is looking at the 3 ships below. However, none of those ships are the ship that he is waiting for. So I feel he is waiting for that ship to pull in but I'm not really certain (just going by this card) if he feels the ship is nearby or if he has a long wait. Since there are already 3 ships below and sometimes ships travel in fleets, perhaps he does feel that the ship he is waiting for is about to pull in any minute now?

edited: I notice on one of the person's wands light is shining from it. Kind of like a guiding light from a light house? So maybe in a way, the person is also doing things to help facilitate the process...even if just passively?

mods: Im not sure where to put this question so if it belongs in YR my apologies and please feel free to move this or let me know and I will post it there.

cricket

To me, this card has a feel of "any day now" - like the person depicted knows that the ship he has been waiting for is coming soon (within a couple of weeks maybe?) but isn't sure exactly when, so every time a ship or fleet is scheduled to come to port, he goes to his lookout to see if he can spot the one he waits for. The time is close enough that he keeps a sharp lookout for it, but far enough away that he's not running to the docks themselves to greet every ship that comes in.

So, depending on the querent (and how excited they get over upcoming events) I would say within a couple of weeks to a month?

olivia1

cricket said:
To me, this card has a feel of "any day now...I would say within a couple of weeks to a month?

Thank you, Cricket :)

wow that is fast. like i said, i wasn't sure if that card meant that the person sees it happening soon or if perhaps the person is thinking "hopefully not until the distant future." As the man is looking out into the distance. So your take really helps me out. After I read what you said:

he person depicted knows that the ship he has been waiting for is coming soon (within a couple of weeks maybe?) but isn't sure exactly when, so every time a ship or fleet is scheduled to come to port, he goes to his lookout to see if he can spot the one he waits for.

I have been looking at the card even closer and feel that perhaps the man could be a merchant? So perhaps he does have an actual genuine invested interest in the ship about to pull in because he invested in the ship's sailing (perhaps helped the situation take off) and expects it will bring him something back for his efforts (whatever they may be)? In the past, I just assumed he was also probably just a man that either liked to watch ships pull in because he just simply enjoys watching them come in-the way watching planes take off could be fun in modern times. or he's a dreamer and dreams of one day having his own ship.

yes, I am shamelessly taking what you say and incorporating it into how I view the card. I have my own definition but when someone adds something cool, I like to adopt it, too :)

Fostha

olivia1 said:
When asking a question about how someone would feel about doing something within the near future (subjective, i know) and the 3 of wands pops up:

image:

http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/album/77/Robin_Wood#photo=135.jpg

would you think that means that

1/ the person sees it as something that they see possibly happening but not for a long while?

2/ Something they see possibly happening and could happen quiet soon?

3/Something else..like none of the ships are the right one and they are hoping for the right one (maybe the right person or right moment) before they decide that they're in?

4/ Or perhaps he doesnt even have a ship that is he waiting for and just thinks the idea of having a ship of his own would be nice but doesnt realistically see it happening (so I guess, the idea is nice but doesnt think the situation will realistically happen)?

Obviously, the meaning would depend on the surrounding cards but if i were to go just by this card alone, I would be very divided. the figure is looking at the 3 ships below. However, none of those ships are the ship that he is waiting for. So I feel he is waiting for that ship to pull in but I'm not really certain (just going by this card) if he feels the ship is nearby or if he has a long wait. Since there are already 3 ships below and sometimes ships travel in fleets, perhaps he does feel that the ship he is waiting for is about to pull in any minute now?

edited: I notice on one of the person's wands light is shining from it. Kind of like a guiding light from a light house? So maybe in a way, the person is also doing things to help facilitate the process...even if just passively?

mods: Im not sure where to put this question so if it belongs in YR my apologies and please feel free to move this or let me know and I will post it there.
Or maybe theres someone/thing else on the horizon that they just can't see yet. I have had this card turn up to indicate a someone else in the picture before.So maybe they do feel like doing something,but it wont be with the querent,wants something different thats not come over the water yet.

cricket

olivia1 said:
I have been looking at the card even closer and feel that perhaps the man could be a merchant? So perhaps he does have an actual genuine invested interest in the ship about to pull in because he invested in the ship's sailing (perhaps helped the situation take off) and expects it will bring him something back for his efforts (whatever they may be)? In the past, I just assumed he was also probably just a man that either liked to watch ships pull in because he just simply enjoys watching them come in-the way watching planes take off could be fun in modern times. or he's a dreamer and dreams of one day having his own ship.
I've always seen him as either a merchant or somebody waiting for a loved one to come home, though that's more the 2 of Wands to me.

If you look at the two of them in progression, the 2 is more somebody planning a shipping route, waiting for the opportunity to set out on their own (being a person on the edge of adulthood, IMO), or anticipating or longing for the arrival of a loved one. The 3 is an older version of the same person, who has sent out his investments into the great wide world, and is expecting a return at any time. He's more secure in the knowledge of his place in the world, knows what to look for, and waits for his plans to come to fruition. With that little bit of age and wisdom comes the knowledge of approximately -when- to start looking, which is where I get the timing. Make sense?

yes, I am shamelessly taking what you say and incorporating it into how I view the card. I have my own definition but when someone adds something cool, I like to adopt it, too :)
Isn't that how we all learn? Take our own ideas, blend them with somebody else's, and run with it!

Ronia

To me this is almost an immediate reality. The 2 of Wnds is the one not secure enough, in the 3 of Wands, and especially, in this deck, the thing is already about to bring results. Not more than a month and that's a max. I don't know why you take these ships as someone else's, to me these are his ships, just not in the harbour yet.

nisaba

Wands are the fastest of elements, so days.

The three is three, so I'd be saying any day now (or at least the process will start any day now).

olivia1

cricket said:
I've always seen him as either a merchant or somebody waiting for a loved one to come home, though that's more the 2 of Wands to me.

If you look at the two of them in progression, the 2 is more somebody planning a shipping route, waiting for the opportunity to set out on their own (being a person on the edge of adulthood, IMO), or anticipating or longing for the arrival of a loved one. The 3 is an older version of the same person, who has sent out his investments into the great wide world, and is expecting a return at any time. He's more secure in the knowledge of his place in the world, knows what to look for, and waits for his plans to come to fruition. With that little bit of age and wisdom comes the knowledge of approximately -when- to start looking, which is where I get the timing. Make sense?

you are brilliant. I did not notice that but after I read what you said, I definitely see what you mean. in addition to seeing the 3 of wands in a whole new way, I also see the 2 of wands in a whole new way, too.

seeing the 2 side by side is so cool. its like looking at a before and after. now he's older, he has his route planned, ect (like you said) but also now the wall that is separating and holding him back is gone.

*this* is why i like to post questions. I am definietly *not* the most observant person so I really do get a lot of insight from other people's help (you all help me see things I miss..which is a lot). Thanks!

olivia1

Fostha said:
Or maybe theres someone/thing else on the horizon that they just can't see yet. I have had this card turn up to indicate a someone else in the picture before.So maybe they do feel like doing something,but it wont be with the querent,wants something different thats not come over the water yet.

interesting...thank you, Fostha :)

olivia1

Ronia said:
To me this is almost an immediate reality. The 2 of Wnds is the one not secure enough, in the 3 of Wands, and especially, in this deck, the thing is already about to bring results. Not more than a month and that's a max. I don't know why you take these ships as someone else's, to me these are his ships, just not in the harbour yet.

nisaba said:
Wands are the fastest of elements, so days.

The three is three, so I'd be saying any day now (or at least the process will start any day now).

Thank you Ronia and Nisaba....I cant add more to that except to thank you both for what you said about "immediate reality" is very helpful. It definietly helped with my confusion, as i had said earlier, wasn't sure if it meant something was about to happen or if the person doesnt see it happening or hopes it'll take longer (i.e "I hope it wont happen within the foreseeable future.")