Rune Study Group: Making your own set

Kiama

Re: What they mean

Nevada34 said:
Are there any good links to information on the meanings of the Runes? Or book recommendations?

If you look at some of the older threads in this study group, you will find a thread for each rune, written by myself, Umbrae, and Malachite.

Kiama

Nevada

Thank you, Kiama!

I found the older threads. Lots of reading to do. There's so much here. Thanks to all who contributed, and thank you so much, Kiama, for steering me there. :) :)

Blessings,

WhiteBirchWoman

Bought some runes, now I wonder...

Most sources I've read about runes all say generally the same thing: making your own set is the preferred ideal, because then your own power and energy will have been put into the set and it will be attuned to you....BUT also that purchased sets can also be effective, enough so that there's no need to fret that a set you didn't make yourself will be useless.

To that end, I suppose it's worth saying I've also used rune software very recently and found that the readings, even when interpreted by the base meanings given in the software and not myself (I'm just starting to learn them), seemed quite applicable to the personal questions asked.

But now I'm doubting this more than a little, after reading one guy's statement that runes HAVE to be made in a particular way in order to be useful at all: "Basically, you'll need a 1" diameter fruit tree branch. Apple works well, yew and pine, too, and I've seen nice cedar, redwood and olive wood sets. It does have to be a fruit-bearing tree according to my reading and personal gnosis on the issue and harvested just before the tree comes into fruit (at the blossom stage) - you need that fruit-bearing power in the runes to lend to the overall power of the runic symbols. I have been taught by the Gods I work with that to have a "dead" branch (harvested fallen, non-fruit bearing or having already fruited) makes 'dead' runes. Others may have different feelings about this."

I've come across similar statements, that if you're going to make your own runes, wood is the best material, and the runes should all come from a single branch, and it should be a fruit-bearing tree.

So, even though I know that just about everyone swears that you can use pre-made sets just fine, from any material, I can't get that one person's statement out of my head, and it bothers me because I just purchased a beautiful set from Etsy, that I'm still eagerly awaiting.

How would you even know if the readings you were getting were "dead" readings, or whatever. I'm confused as to how people can say that some rune sets give amazingly accurate readings, because the implication is that some runes give bad readings. How would you even be able to tell? I have this image of people testing their new runes by asking them questions and getting false answers back, like an only child asking the runes if she has a sibling, only to be told yes. But unless I misunderstand, that's not at all how runes are used, so it doesn't make any sense.

Richard

I recently bought a wonderful set from the AlaskaLaserMaid (WalesWoman) Etsy store. They "work" as well as the homemade ones I have been using for years, and they are far more beautiful (in fact, they are perfect). Maybe I'm just not worthy (or sufficiently superstitious) to use Runes properly according to what purports to be "tradition," such as staining them with one's own blood, etc. :rolleyes:.

WhiteBirchWoman

I recently bought a wonderful set from the AlaskaLaserMaid (WalesWoman) Etsy store. They "work" as well as the homemade ones I have been using for years, and they are far more beautiful (in fact, they are perfect). Maybe I'm just not worthy (or sufficiently superstitious) to use Runes properly according to what purports to be "tradition," such as staining them with one's own blood, etc. :rolleyes:.

It's funny you should say that. AlaskaLaserMaid is exactly who I just ordered my set from. They've not arrived yet and I'm actually getting a bit worried because they were due by this past Friday, but the tracking info stopped updating on the 10th.

Even so, do you have anything to say about the idea of "bad"readings? Like I said, I hear people talk about getting effective, quality readings from their purchased sets all the time, so that should ease my mind a little (I'm trying to get past my doubt, I am!) but it does raise the question of runes that give ineffective, poor readings. I just can't wrap my head around the idea. It makes me think that people could have the experience of asking the runes what their job prospects are for the coming month, and being told by the runes that they're going to adopt a pet rhino.

Richard

It's funny you should say that. AlaskaLaserMaid is exactly who I just ordered my set from. They've not arrived yet and I'm actually getting a bit worried because they were due by this past Friday, but the tracking info stopped updating on the 10th.

Even so, do you have anything to say about the idea of "bad"readings? Like I said, I hear people talk about getting effective, quality readings from their purchased sets all the time, so that should ease my mind a little (I'm trying to get past my doubt, I am!) but it does raise the question of runes that give ineffective, poor readings. I just can't wrap my head around the idea. It makes me think that people could have the experience of asking the runes what their job prospects are for the coming month, and being told by the runes that they're going to adopt a pet rhino.
LOL! I just consult the Runes to get insight into how I should approach certain situations or issues. I use the I Ching in much the same way. There is never what I would call a bad reading.

If you want to be really authentic with the Runes, each time you consult them, you find a suitable tree, cut some twigs, carve the Runes into them, stain them with your blood, cast them on the ground, read them, and then leave them and go on your merry way. You have to repeat this every time you do the Runes. Or maybe not. We really don't know all that much about how they were used in ancient times, except for occasional references in the literature to "casting" them. In any case, I see no advantage to making your own Runes except to help memorize them. The magic is in your head, not in sticks or stones.

If you are curous about your order, you can inquire about it through Etsy, or you could even PM WalesWoman here on Aeclectic Tarot. It may just be stalled temporarily somewhere in the postal system. In any case, she will make it good.

WhiteBirchWoman

LOL! I just consult the Runes to get insight into how I should approach certain situations or issues. I use the I Ching in much the same way. There is never what I would call a bad reading.

If you want to be really authentic with the Runes, each time you consult them, you find a suitable tree, cut some twigs, carve the Runes into them, stain them with your blood, cast them on the ground, read them, and then leave them and go on your merry way. You have to repeat this every time you do the Runes. Or maybe not. We really don't know all that much about how they were used in ancient times, except for occasional references in the literature to "casting" them. In any case, I see no advantage to making your own Runes except to help memorize them. The magic is in your head, not in sticks or stones.

If you are curous about your order, you can inquire about it through Etsy, or you could even PM WalesWoman here on Aeclectic Tarot. It may just be stalled temporarily somewhere in the postal system. In any case, she will make it good.

That's how I think I'd be using them. Well, that, but also getting a feel for what to expect during any given week, etc. I just can't see how a person could get a "bad" reading any any way other than lack of skill in interpreting them.

Thanks for the info.

I already contacted USPS about the order. I'll be contacting them again if the runes don't show tomorrow, as I think, based on the tracking info I do have, that that will have been plenty of time. There's little point in contacting the seller, as this is to do with the postal service, not her. Hopefully my set will arrive early this week (I'm hoping it was just due to bad weather, as I know that Alaska's mail service is even more at the mercy of weather than the rest of the U.S.)

ETA: Mentioned this elsewhere, but my runes came in today, after being off-the-radar for several days. And they are beautiful!

dancing_moon

But now I'm doubting this more than a little, after reading one guy's statement that runes HAVE to be made in a particular way in order to be useful at all: "Basically, you'll need a 1" diameter fruit tree branch. Apple works well, yew and pine, too, and I've seen nice cedar, redwood and olive wood sets. It does have to be a fruit-bearing tree according to my reading and personal gnosis on the issue and harvested just before the tree comes into fruit (at the blossom stage) - you need that fruit-bearing power in the runes to lend to the overall power of the runic symbols. I have been taught by the Gods I work with that to have a "dead" branch (harvested fallen, non-fruit bearing or having already fruited) makes 'dead' runes. Others may have different feelings about this."

I know the book, and I love it. :) The one thing I disagree with is that it has to be a fruit-bearing tree. I mean, show me a NON-fruit-bearing tree. :D Or do we have to consider as such only the currently commercially sold fruit?..

For me, acorns work perfectly, even more so than branches, because they ARE fruit, and they contain the potential of full grown oak trees. I've mentioned this in a different thread, along with a short tutorial on acorn rune-making. :) I can dig up the link if you're interested.

dancing_moon

There are no bad readings, there are just inexperienced readers. Keep reading!

Hemera

If you want to be really authentic with the Runes, each time you consult them, you find a suitable tree, cut some twigs, carve the Runes into them, stain them with your blood, cast them on the ground, read them, and then leave them and go on your merry way.
Yes. And go to the sauna to cleanse yourself before the rune cast and drink a lot of mead during and after the cast :D

I know the book, and I love it. :) The one thing I disagree with is that it has to be a fruit-bearing tree. I mean, show me a NON-fruit-bearing tree. :D
Exactly!! I have made several rune sets for myself from trees in our garden. I have also carved each one in a specific order with lots of meditation and note taking in between. It was a lot of fun and it taught me a lot. But the runes I use are usually ones that I´ve bought and I like my Rune cards (by Cheryl Barnes) more than most other sets that I own.

For me, acorns work perfectly, even more so than branches, because they ARE fruit, and they contain the potential of full grown oak trees. I've mentioned this in a different thread, along with a short tutorial on acorn rune-making. :) I can dig up the link if you're interested.
This is something I´m going to do this year. They look awesome in the pictures I´ve seen!

There are no bad readings, there are just inexperienced readers. Keep reading!
I couldn´t agree more with this. :thumbsup: