Runes

a_shikhs

I've recently started dabbling in runes and have been studying their meanings seriously since the past few days. Today, I did a rune reading for a friend who is undergoing some financial setback and was shocked to get such a strong accurate message. Expecting this kind of a message from tarot is acceptable, but from runes was a complete surprise. A rather pleasant one. :D

It's amazing how serious runes are and answer right to the point without getting you all confused and mixed up. I'm totally loving this new experience and plan to make a set of my own. So any rune lovers out there? I'd love to hear your rune stories. Also what kind of spreads have you used in your rune readings and do you read it reversed?

Little Hare

I have always been fascinated by runes, but have never been able to learn them. There appears to be some sort of blockage there. Glad to hear you had a great time with them and got good feedback. Will be watching this thread with interest

N1ghts0ng

I've recently started dabbling in runes and have been studying their meanings seriously since the past few days. Today, I did a rune reading for a friend who is undergoing some financial setback and was shocked to get such a strong accurate message. Expecting this kind of a message from tarot is acceptable, but from runes was a complete surprise. A rather pleasant one. :D
hehehe, I've always felt that when i work with runes, theyve always been brutally honest. No beating around the bush, they hit straight on target. I appreciate the advise of the runes.

It's amazing how serious runes are and answer right to the point without getting you all confused and mixed up. I'm totally loving this new experience and plan to make a set of my own. So any rune lovers out there? I'd love to hear your rune stories. Also what kind of spreads have you used in your rune readings and do you read it reversed?
i have a set of rune cards by Ralph Blum, and also a set of carved bloodstone runes. I've read them separately and also read them together. when i read them together, i do the layout completely with one form, then lay out the other as a sort of way to get more depth or to expound on the first rune.
my favorite rune layouts are for assistance making choices between 2 (or more) options. I also like using them in a 7-"card" layout i posted a while back.

queen_of_wands

I'm glad you like them. You know Runes were easier and more straight forward than I expected, too. They are so accurate, they caught me by surprise in an erlier thread I did on this page. Feel free to check it out! I think if you can read tarot, you should be able to pick up Runes fairly easily. I have an animal set myself.

autumn star

I am just starting to use runes too, after having several rune decks. I quite like the Witches Runes Kit and I am reading Northern Mysteries by Freya Aswynn, which is really good for the folklore and meanings behind the runes. I think that there used to be a rune reading exchange in this section of the forum. I definately need some more practice with them.

a_shikhs

I'm glad you like them. You know Runes were easier and more straight forward than I expected, too. They are so accurate, they caught me by surprise in an erlier thread I did on this page. Feel free to check it out! I think if you can read tarot, you should be able to pick up Runes fairly easily. I have an animal set myself.

Hi QOW,
which animal set do you have? It sounds interesting.

silverwings94

Curious about your set of animal runes. What are they and where did you find them? Can you post pictures so we can all see them?

Kat

raeanne

I love my Runes! I strongly suggest that you make a set. There are some beautiful sets that you can purchase and I have bought some sets myself but something happens when you make your own set that you just can’t get from a purchased set. I think it has something to do with physically making the Runes that connects you to them. As you carve each one, you have time to ponder its meaning. Putting in the time and effort is a sacrifice and I think that helps bind you to the Runes. There is an old tradition of “blooding” the Runes – where you actually put a drop of your own blood on each Rune. I was not going to do that but while carving the last Rune, my knife slipped a little and I nicked my finger. Since I was already bleeding, I went ahead and put a drop on each Rune. I still don’t think I could have cut myself intentionally but this set has such a deep meaning for me that I know there is a bond between us that will never develop with any other set.

I cast the Runes instead of drawing them so I don't use 'spreads'. I reach into the bag, stir the Runes, and then grab as many as I grab. I take these Runes and shake them in my hands and then open my hands and drop the Runes on the casting cloth. I read the Runes in relationship to each other. The rotation is important and so is whether or not the Rune lands face up or face down. Runes seem to have a rather primal energy to me - very Earthy and honest. While there may be some similarities to tarot, to me the energy is completely different. I have some Viking ancestors so maybe some of my response to Runes is genetic. :)

Kiata

Runes are beautiful and very accurate and give a lot of food for thought.
They are best for emergency too.:) Just grab a piece of paper , tear it into 25 pieces ( 24 if you don't use the blank rune), scribble the symbols on the pieces of paper and pull one "rune" to get the answer you need. Even the emergency runes will be accurate.