Sagittarius?

Arnnaria

What card in the major arcana corresponds to Sagittarius?

willowfox

Temperance comes under the sign of Sagittarius

Sophie

willowfox said:
Temperance comes under the sign of Sagittarius
Only in the Golden Dawn system. In others Sagittarius corresponds to The Devil.

franniee

Not to be contrary Fudugazi -

I've always associated Capricorn with the devil and Sag for temperance...
and here are the others......

Emperor - Aries
Hiero - Taurus
Lovers - Gemini
Chariot - Cancer
strength - leo
hermit- virgo
justice - libra
Death - scorpio
Star - Aquarius
Moon - Pisces

star-lover

well if you take what sagitarius and its ruling planet in astrology jupiter stand for - ie higher education, luck, positivity, spirituality, truth, justice, honesty, freedom, seeking new horizons etc etc

you could come up with either heirophant or wheel of fortune

i dont get the (neg) devil connection to it at all apart from saggys love to have a lot of fun and fun is one of the sides of the devil/mirth/laughter in his good side i guess

oh dear just reread my first paragraph and see many connections to the devil LOL!!!

tarot and astrology combinations can confuse you for sure :D

Thirteen

star-lover said:
oh dear just reread my first paragraph and see many connections to the devil LOL!!!
But not the most important one which is a certain amount of calculated intent. Saggies are Don Quixotes, knowing their beliefs and philosophies so well they can act on impulse without fear of regretting such actions; whatever comes to mind they say or do, no calculation or planning involved. Which, granted, can make them do "devilish" thing. If they're on a mission to save the world, they'll save it whether it wants to be saved or not.

Capricorn, on the other hand, is "The sign of careful, calculated, planned action." And that's very much a part of the Devil. Not saying the Devil can't improvise or act on impulse, but he's a Devil because he does things with intent and calculation, even good things like making someone broaden their horizons--the Devil will plan it out.

May

Thirteen said:
But not the most important one which is a certain amount of calculated intent. Saggies are Don Quixotes, knowing their beliefs and philosophies so well they can act on impulse without fear of regretting such actions; whatever comes to mind they say or do, no calculation or planning involved. Which, granted, can make them do "devilish" thing. If they're on a mission to save the world, they'll save it whether it wants to be saved or not.

Capricorn, on the other hand, is "The sign of careful, calculated, planned action." And that's very much a part of the Devil. Not saying the Devil can't improvise or act on impulse, but he's a Devil because he does things with intent and calculation, even good things like making someone broaden their horizons--the Devil will plan it out.

I associated Capricon with Devil and understand that aspect. I do not understand how Temperance links to Saggitarius. Saggis are impulsive and Temperance doesn't look impulsive to me.
I always thought Knight of Wands as Saggitarius. His horse looks like saggittarian horse to me in a lot of decks too.

Skysteel

Arnnaria said:
What card in the major arcana corresponds to Sagittarius?

What qualities correspond to Sagittarius?

May

Skysteel said:
What qualities correspond to Sagittarius?

Saggitarius relates to optimism, idealism, spirituality primarily. I searched online and found this for Saggitarius

* philosophy, idealism, religion, spiritual growth
* optimism, positive outlook, forward planning
* travel, freedom of movement, the outdoors
* honesty, justice, morality
* imagination, aspirations, open-mindedness
* wit, intellect, flashes of intuition
* generosity, pleasure, romance