SAKKI-SAKKI: The Magician

M-Press

The Magician was the first card I made for the deck, and he helped me set the direction: it's the first time that I combined colored flat art, with black & white inks, what I call "Sensitive Inks".
I didn't deliberatly start with him, but now I understand why I did so. He is definitely inspiring. I wanted to make a few changes in taht card, but out of respect, I won't. He was first, good enough to make me get to the end, so a bit respect, please.

I think it's funny if I'll start talking about him myself. I would actually like to hear the things I don't know about him. Every time I see a new thing and make a new connection. My dance teacher, told last week, that my head is sometimes disconnected from my body. I thought of the Magician. No wonder then...

Looking forward to hear your take on him, and how his connections and disconnections relate to you.
This is fun! I'm very excited! :)

Imagemaker

I'm so glad this group has started, and am excited to throw myself in to explore the depths of the images.

So many things come to mind when I look at this Magician.
--His eyes look up and to (his) right--looking at what's overhead, what's swirling in the cosmos, to his Higher Self, hoping to manifest something solid out of that infinite Source.

The large black dot in the white shape--there's a psychoneurological exercise where you focus on a black dot in a white circle in order to go "beyond" your mind and access a larger understanding. The Magician is looking in that direction.

I know very little about it, but I was told by an expert in iconography that the thick necks on medieval icons have a particular meaning. Something about their strong spiritual channel between Higher and Lower--this Magician is a beginner and wants to develop that thick neck. He is starting with nothing but his tools and intention.

He also has no legs, and his shoes are waiting for when he can find feet and walk. This figure is ready for Beginning the Journey--all intent and hope.

I see him as different from other decks' Magicians who are already skillful, manifesting, and perhaps conniving (when reversed).

The orange shapes to the sides of the card make me think of butterfly wings--perhaps set aside like the blue boots, waiting for the Magician to put them on and fly!

I love the question marks on the Magician's sleeve and the ones around the edges of the card. They morph in and out of the decorative band--as our questions arise out of what we thought was merely background.

Love this card!

Jewel-ry

I love that the table has three legs! In the Tarot de Marseilles - Le Bateleur - his table has three legs too! What can this mean? That things could be a little unstable? That all is not as it seems. That something is missing?

In this case our Magician's table has wheels so he can move when he wants to or even turn the table. Turning the table means he will be able to get to the items on the other side of the table without moving. So he is innovative and all those swirls show he has energy, lots of it, but it has no direction as yet. Some of the energy has been scribbled, with a writing implement, which gives us our connection to communication.

His boots appear to be feathers which can be associated with the Greek messenger god, Hermes. Wings symbolize mercury which is volatile.

The checkerboard floor looks like a game board but which game?

~

Nina*

I think the floor is for chess... and that tells me that no matter what he will never be mate :D

Jewel-ry

Yes chess! A game of tactics and strategy.

:)

Imagemaker

Can more inexperienced deck users consider it to be checkers, before they've learned (matured into) chess?

Nina*

Imagemaker said:
Can more inexperienced deck users consider it to be checkers, before they've learned (matured into) chess?

Yes, of course!?! Everyone can consider it to be anything they like... :)
I'm not sure I understand what you mean Imagemaker!!??

Imagemaker

Someplace on AT, MeeWah or Thirteen said that decks know when you're a beginner. As you progress in reading skill, seeing more things, interpreting more complexly, the cards offer you more complexity.

So it struck me that a beginner-reader using the Sakki-Sakki might see the gameboard as checkers, where an experienced reader could move straight to chess. Say you draw the Magician and the gameboard seems significant, and you also draw a Queen or King--and perhaps the chess-power of a Queen would be significant in that reading, or the checkers power of a king would apply in some way.

And knowing both games, and the difference, could bring up new ideas of interpretation.

Does that make any sense?

(That was my 2,222 post--aiming for High Priestess insight :D)

tarobones

Legs

Regarding our magician's "lack" of legs.......in a way it reminds me of the Rider Chariot......that guy seemingly fused to the chariot. Perhaps our magician and his table, with those awesome objects are all part of his "magical" body?!?!? Shamans often speak of being torn limb-from-limb, and that seems to be an important part of their spiritual growth. Perhaps the magician, the table, the symbols of power, are all "of a piece." Anyway, perhaps the connection between head and body is more spiritual or magical. My six year old nephew said, "of course he has a neck, it's just magical. So sometimes you can't see it." hehe..........this is fun already!! BB< Michael

Nina*

:D

Imagemaker said:
So it struck me that a beginner-reader using the Sakki-Sakki might see the gameboard as checkers, where an experienced reader could move straight to chess. Say you draw the Magician and the gameboard seems significant, and you also draw a Queen or King--and perhaps the chess-power of a Queen would be significant in that reading, or the checkers power of a king would apply in some way.
And knowing both games, and the difference, could bring up new ideas of interpretation.
Does that make any sense?

Yes it does, perfectly. And I really like what you say... it DOES bring up new ideas!

Congratulation with your High Priestess insight ;)