Salvador Dali reviews please.

love.tarot

Hi I have just been offered to purchase a Savador Dali Tarot deck.
I was wondering if anyone has used these and what are there reviews when using them??

Le Fanu

Random, mixed up, misidentified cards. Largely unreadable I would say but we're all very different. The tarot equivalent of a coffee table book. Cited by experts as an example of how richly artistic the tarot tradition is. Generally expensive and apparently desirable though few people want it. Lovely gilt edges, lovely velvet box, though I believe there is a cheaper version now.

Will that do? I find it monumentally unfascinating but - like I say - we are all different and I did buy one ( couldn't resist ) when I saw one...

Zephyros

"Desirable though few people want it" is perhaps the best description of this deck. I have seen it in stores several times, and I certainly desired it, but I never got it. It has excellent production values but as a Tarot deck, even if it is seen only as an "art" deck it falls flat for me. There are other, better "coffee table book" decks out there. It seems overhyped simply because of the name attached to it, even though he had little to do with it in the first place.

nisaba

Terrible cardstock, and considering the price I paid new, he could have given me the best cardstock in the world. Lovely velvet and cardboard boxes - too many layers of packaging all round. Thousands upon thousands of his signatures everywhere and a self-portrait for the Magician. You want a monument to ego? This deck is it. You want to fill out a subcollection of decks named after famous artists? This deck is it. You want a reading-deck? Don't get this one.

I am delighted I have it, and I've had it for a couple of years now. I haven't read with it once. It wants to be stored in archival conditions, not to be handled and loved.

agviz

Not weird enough. Not flamboyant enough. Not Dali enough.

Most of the cards seem just, well, unmemorable. The best card is Dali as the Magician with a goofy look on his face. If all the other cards had that much character, I would find a way to read with it.

nisaba

Not weird enough. Not flamboyant enough. Not Dali enough.

Not flamboyant enough? <gasp> Blood and butterflies everywhere. Thousands upon thousands of his signatures all over the deck. Blithely swapping the imagery of the Devil and the Fool, as if he is correcting tradition.

Not weird enough? Not flamboyant enough?

agviz

Not flamboyant enough? <gasp> Blood and butterflies everywhere. Thousands upon thousands of his signatures all over the deck. Blithely swapping the imagery of the Devil and the Fool, as if he is correcting tradition.

Not weird enough? Not flamboyant enough?

Ha ha, yeah well there's some weird there. But for me, it's not weird enough. I'M weirder than that.

gregory

Ha ha, yeah well there's some weird there. But for me, it's not weird enough. I'M weirder than that.

DALI was weirder than that. }) I found it very disappointing. I'm glad I have it, but I have no wish to read with it.

KristinCali

I do have to agree with most of the comments above. BUT, somehow, for whatever reason I still LOVE this deck!

There's some helpful commentary in this thread, and on page 2 I posted my own impressions of it: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=190934

Le Fanu

Do you read with it?

How do you read those cards which are like The Fool titled The Devil? And there are others- The Devil and the Universe I think are misnamed.

There are some brazenly mistitled cards. Like a young man striding off a cliff with a butterfly called The Devil. Do you read it as the Devil or The Fool?