Sanding the edges?

Carla

I just got a used tarot deck and it has been well loved. The edges are grotty. Has anyone ever sanded the edges of a deck of cards to clean them? Would 220 grit sandpaper work? I really want to freshen the deck up a bit.

cardlady22

I've only used a cardboard nail file for cards that have the nubs that hang off. (like they were punched out) I turn a stretch of clear packaging tape around a couple of fingers and do a press/lift. If that isn't enough, I use the Tsukineko Brilliance embossing stamp pads. They have colors, as well as a white.

Carla

I've had a go at it with an emery board, and although it still looks well-loved, it doesn't look filthy. Or 'as' filthy. I'll take another whack at it.

Le Fanu

I've often wondered this. I have a Greenwood with very grubby edges but clean fronts and have often wondered how it could be "freshened" up as you say. I've heard of the sandpaper technique but I really cannot imagine how it would work. Any paper/card sanded down would surely scuff. And does one do the deck whole, as a "brick", hold tight and sand away or is it better to do it one card at a time?

Funny, but my instincts tell me it wouldn't work... I suspect trimmin a micro-millimetre off the edge of the card would work better.

Carla

I've often wondered this. I have a Greenwood with very grubby edges but clean fronts and have often wondered how it could be "freshened" up as you say. I've heard of the sandpaper technique but I really cannot imagine how it would work. Any paper/card sanded down would surely scuff. And does one do the deck whole, as a "brick", hold tight and sand away or is it better to do it one card at a time?

Funny, but my instincts tell me it wouldn't work... I suspect trimmin a micro-millimetre off the edge of the card would work better.

I've use the 'brick' technique, and it does knock some of the grot off. The cards aren't exactly the same size, though, so those that have edges lower than the others stay darker. It does look better already, just from an emery board. I may be able to live with this as it is. I'm intrigued by the idea of white stuff to do the edges in, though. I wonder where I could get some of that. *puzzled expression*

This is the first deck I've had the urge to actually 'cleanse'. I did a reading on the previous with this deck, because I just felt the energy so strongly. I wrote about it on my blog. (You know where to find it).

I could never trim a microbit off the edge, I do not have a steady hand or eye and require a guideline to trim against, and I like the borders on this deck. It would be too long and narrow borderless. :)

Le Fanu

*just read it*

Shame you can't ask them who the previous owner was. The story is invariably interesting.

I might try one day but - you know - as it's a Greenwood, one slip of the hand and a ragged scuff and I would be so annoyed with myself. Maybe a very fine nail file or very fine sandpaper.

It's so grubby, really grubby but the fronts aren't. It has been very, very shuffled by many dirty hands :( I always thought I liked old, well-used decks, now I'm not so sure.

Mallah

Do you have "magic erasers" where you are? In the cleaning products department...here in the US they are "Mr Clean".

I bet these would work great!

desertrat

I've use the 'brick' technique, and it does knock some of the grot off. The cards aren't exactly the same size, though, so those that have edges lower than the others stay darker. It does look better already, just from an emery board. I may be able to live with this as it is. I'm intrigued by the idea of white stuff to do the edges in, though. I wonder where I could get some of that. *puzzled expression*

I have used an emory board on the Ancestral Path deck I got on Ebay (excellent condition my *ss!) Anyway, I filed away at each card individually and feel the result is well worth the effort - and it was quite an effort - the deck no longer feels icky to shuffle. :)

MsRed

Do you have "magic erasers" where you are? In the cleaning products department...here in the US they are "Mr Clean".

I bet these would work great!

Do you use them with water? If so, I would be afraid that the deck soaks in the water and becomes uneven.

AJ

They are big Melamine foam blocks. You can use them to wipe across furniture to grab cat hair, or on crayon colored walls...

http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/magic-eraser.do Says "Its water-activated micro-scrubbers reach into the surface grooves,"

you wouldn't use them drippy