"sanitizing" decks for public readings

Sheri

Alissa said:
Seriously? How can that be considered "professional" behavior for a truly serious Tarot reader? Someone who makes money with repeat business and business referrals? That kind of behavior would burn so many bridges in a professional community. That's about the worst advice I can imagine. It's truly inappropriate.

I agree with you 100% Alissa!

:love: Sheri

Umbrae

Alissa said:
Seriously? How can that be considered "professional" behavior for a truly serious Tarot reader? Someone who makes money with repeat business and business referrals? That kind of behavior would burn so many bridges in a professional community. That's about the worst advice I can imagine. It's truly inappropriate.

I too am 100% with you on this.

Further...How can you get out of the way of your readings, when your ego cannot wrap itself around the varience between entertainment vs private consultation.

gregory

Excuse me one moment - who are we agreeing with here ? the people who say one should not sanitise (I agree) or nisaba's tongue in cheek post - which made me laugh ?

214red

Umbrae said:
I too am 100% with you on this.

Further...How can you get out of the way of your readings, when your ego cannot wrap itself around the varience between entertainment vs private consultation.

To me they are both the same, a reading is just a reading, ego isnt involved.i chose to read the same in all the environments i am in, its not for me to change the message spirit want to give to the person is it? if i did think that i would have an ego problem.

If you decide to do two different types of readings, then thats up to you. However some people decide not to have that difference.

tarotmama

I have been thinking about the original topic. My husband and I had a talk about it last night. I don't even like to read with *extra* cards in a deck because if one pops up it will throw me off (like the Happy Squirrel). But I think I could do this. I would pick a deck specifically for these parties and just remove the cards and put them away (so I wouldn't have to dig them out for every job). I would think of it as kind of a relief that I won't have to think of delicate ways to deliver a harsh message -- like I'm just there to deliver the good news. And if bad news sneaks into the readings, well it will be a teaching experience for me to learn different sides of other cards!

satinangel

tarotmama said:
I have been thinking about the original topic. My husband and I had a talk about it last night. I don't even like to read with *extra* cards in a deck because if one pops up it will throw me off (like the Happy Squirrel). But I think I could do this. I would pick a deck specifically for these parties and just remove the cards and put them away (so I wouldn't have to dig them out for every job). I would think of it as kind of a relief that I won't have to think of delicate ways to deliver a harsh message -- like I'm just there to deliver the good news. And if bad news sneaks into the readings, well it will be a teaching experience for me to learn different sides of other cards!

This is my take completely! If I have been employed by a company and this was their request, I would either remove the cards they asked me to remove or I would choose to take one of my many oracle decks instead.

Seriously, WHAT IF ... the job in question is reading at a cancer fund raiser? Wouldn't you want to be a little sensitive to that?

Umbrae

214red said:
To me they are both the same, a reading is just a reading, ego isnt involved.i chose to read the same in all the environments i am in, its not for me to change the message spirit want to give to the person is it? if i did think that i would have an ego problem.

If you decide to do two different types of readings, then thats up to you. However some people decide not to have that difference.
Suppose you are a Spiritual Teacher, and you wish to come to my country (Umbraeland) and teach my people your ways.

Suppose I say, “This is good, you may travel my country far and wide, teach my people. I will even pay you to teach the good people of Umbraeland your spiritual message. But you must never under any circumstance use any word beginning with the letter F.”

So do you still have a message to spread? Will you find a way to spread it?

Or will you piss and moan that I've taken away the rights to your language.

***​

Suppose you are a wedding singer and contract to sing at my wedding. I tell you “No hangin' songs.” And you weren't going to sing any dang 'hangin' songs' anyway! Do you take the gig or reject it because I told you what you cannot sing. (or perhaps it's more like: "Never EVER under any circumstances sing 'Send in the Clowns' in the key of B-flat minor").

Both hypothetical examples are no different than what is purposed here. You either have a song to sing, or a message to deliver or you don't.

If you have a song to sing or a message to deliver – and you feel it in your heart – you will find a way to deliver that message within the guidelines established.

If indeed a reading is just a reading, nothing more nothing less, than self will not edit an opportunity for spirit to deliver the message.

satinangel said:
Seriously, WHAT IF ... the job in question is reading at a cancer fund raiser? Wouldn't you want to be a little sensitive to that?
Exactly.

And you know how they say 100% of the arrows you do not shoot - miss the target? Well if you take your toys and go home because they won't let you play by your own rules, you'll never deliver your message. Never get to read for that one person...

Never confuse the message with the tool used to deliver it.

gregory

I actually agree with that.

Which is scary.

Baroli

I have had to revise my thoughts on this and realized it was my EGO that was getting its feathers ruffled. After reading some of the latest posts, I would have to agree with Alissa and with Umbrae.

Not that I have a huge ego, but it does get in the way. :rolleyes: Sometimes you have to forego not like being told what to do and if you want to work as I do and all the time, you have to swallow and do what cha gotta do.

Besides "Send In The Clowns," sucks in that suggested key. lol

I sing it much better a whole step up. })

Yes, and I can see SA's point about the specificity of a venue like a cancer fund raiser. Yup I understand it very much so.

But I do have to say, for the most part until quite recently, most of my work was by private appointment. I have to say there is a difference in reading for entertainment and private readings.

Logiatrix

theora said:
I've been told that I am required to "sanitize" the deck - removing the death card, the tower, the devil, the 10 of swords... and, inexplicably (to me) the hanged man. the reason for this is to avoid freaking out anyone. (Oh, but I get to keep the three of swords, and the nine - but not the HM?! Buh?)

also, in asking for pro advice at a conference, I was told by more than one longtime pro to do this.

since my employer is requiring this of me, I will of course comply. but... it gives me pause. can you still do good readings when you're not playing with a full deck?! and how do I reconcile this with wanting to be as professional as possible? plus, the hanged man? that is such a good card, to my eyes!

I welcome any and all advice. I've attempted to search on this topic and have apparently not hit the right keyword (although bringing hand sanitizer is probably a good idea too, lol).
Initially, I was all a-blither about this ("well, I never...!"), but some very good follow-up points were made to the contrary of my righteous indignation. When all is said and done, a gig is a gig, and I can't honestly say I wouldn't comply based on my personal tarot rights being trampled. Not when it's supposed to be about the reading recipient, and about the paying client who requests my service in the first place.

However, I would also probably suggest the alternative of an oracle, if the energy to negotiate felt right. It would only be presented as another option, in case the venue client didn't know about oracles beyond traditional tarot. I've done that for individual clients who had bad triggers from tarot (no thanks to TV, cinema and/or religious stigmas) with a positive response every time.

Ultimately, though, I would likely surrender to his/her wishes if the presenter insisted on a "sanitized" deck. I've never done it before, but I suspect reading that way is do-able.:smoker: