Separating or Peeling edges of cards....?

greatdane

That's the problem....

The way the deck is separating, it is BUNCHING up along the edges, like loose dirt being push in a mound off the ground and it makes a ridge. So it is not making this gap, it is like the top layer is being pushed back (like if you pushed back a cuticle). Hard to explain. But this has to be a preventive measure, there is no just splitting, but a pushing back with no room or way to just push the mound back. I would have to glue BEFORE this happens.

Laura Borealis

I wonder if gilding the deck would help seal the card edges?

Have any gilders here experienced post-gilding peel?

The one deck I gilded has not, but it doesn't have a heavy laminate on it either.

greatdane

Oh that's interesting, Laura Borealis!

I didn't think of that. The card stock feels nice, not a heavy laminate, but more than a satin finish, and whatever one or more of the layers are, push back like if you push back a cuticle, best way I can describe it. And it's all along the sides, not just the corners. Like pushing back a cuticle makes a little mound of skin, it's like that, like the layers haven't just separated, but are moving back, there IS no opening or way to just push it back and glue it, so my friend is out of luck there. But I thought I wonder if I got the deck and did something to it, kind of sealed all around the edges, it wouldn't do this.

Laura Borealis

That analogy makes my cuticles hurt in sympathy! :bugeyed:

greatdane

LOL Laura Borealis

I think that deck must be hurting. It's like someone pushed back it's cuticle and it can't be flattened back. I am going to research before trying on the deck I ordered. I just don't want to end up with the same situation because I see once it happens with the deck, it can't be undone.

emmsma

And this thread is making me Very Curious as to what deck we are advising you about.

Do tell. (In case there are more of us needing to be proactive with it.)

Will she be able to trim to fix her copy?

greatdane

Hi Emmsma

In case it is just a fluke, I didn't want to mention for fear of hurting anyone's sales or rep.
I will say that it looks like if she did trim it, she would still have to somehow seal the edges.
It's like whatever was layered over it, was just layered, not sealed, so it's pulling back. Not like it's just layers separating. From what I saw, it was like if you took a cuticle stick and pushed back your cuticle. But that is why I am trying to find something to be proactive IN CASE this wasn't a fluke. I could somehow seal all the edges because that looks like the problem, something was layered over it, but not sealed so it would be like a decal on a car, pulling away, but the way this is there is no way I could see, short of trimming it and then sealing it that would fix it. Again, could be a fluke which is why I don't want to mention the deck. I just hadn't seen something like this with a deck before.

Laura Borealis

I'm thinking canid's Mod Podge idea might be your best bet. You could carefully paint the edges with a sponge brush. Good luck to you with whatever you try - it sounds like you'd really like to have this deck, if you're willing to do all this to take care of it. :)

greatdane

Aw Thanks Laura Borealis

Yes, I am. And just to let everyone know, I have not read other complaints like this about this deck, so this could be just some weird fluke, BUT I don't want to take any chances. I would prefer to be proactive and just lightly go over the edges to avoid even the possibility of this happening. So again, I have NOT read any complaints about that happening with this deck. That's why I didn't want to mention the deck. I will get some Mod Podge and hope for the best :). Thanks for that, Canid! You crafty lady, you! :))

emmsma

Understood about not naming names. Good luck.