Sepulchre -New tarot novel by Kate Mosse!

LillyCat

**Mods please move if this is in the wrong place!**

Just picked up a copy of Waterstones' book magazine and inside there is a large article by author Kate Mosse on her new novel.

Some of you will remember her as the one that wrote Labyrinthe which went huge following the popularity of the Da Vinci Code and other Dan Brown novels.

Anyway, her new (fictional) novel is based on the Tarot and an archaic deck of tarot cards hidden in a sepulchre...It's a ghost story by the looks of it.

The story starts in 1891 when a brother and sister go to live in the Domaine de la Cade estate and find themselves terrorised by an unseen force and intrigued by the rumour of a tarot deck hidden in a sepulchre in the forest. The story then picks up in 2007 when an American author arrives at the same estate and gets embroiled in the tragic history of the Domaine de la Cade (which is now a hotel). The story then revolves around the mystery of the disappearance of a deck of tarot cards called the Vernier Tarot.

Kate Mosse explains that she did a lot of reading about the Tarot and interviewed a lot of professional tarot readers as part of the research for her book. She also explains how she was in two minds about the tarot - couldn't quite believe that 78 cards could tell you anything but absolutely terrified of getting a reading done. She does in the end but just comments that it wasn't what she expected. A tarot deck was specially commissioned for this book and the cards appear on the endpapers of the novel (its RWS based by the looks of it). The Devil card has the usual Devil on it but the man and woman are very well dressed indeed - quite different from anything I've seen before.

I'm just letting you guys and gals know in case you fancy checking out this title for yourself - in the UK this book will be released in hardback in October - for our US cousins, I am not sure when it will be released (probably way before it comes out here :)

Oh, and in case you want something to tide you over in the meantime, the author suggests reading The Castle of Crossed Destinies by Italo Calvino - another novel inspired and based on the Tarot. Sounds quite spooky to me.

luv from your resident bookworm :)
lillycat
xxxx

Skydancer

Castle of Crossed Destinies will be unlike anything you have encountered before. Read it! And have pen and paper handy; that's all the clues I'm gonna give you!!

*S*

Neely75

Oh wow, I'm about half way through Labyrinth. I stumbled across it while browsing a bookstore and had to have it. I bought a second hand copy which isn't in great condition. I've since seen the hardcover, illustrated version and am adding it to my Christmas wish list. So far I'm really loving it.

So... another Kate Mosse book, and it's based on tarot. I'll be adding that one to the wish list too! :)

Hey Skydancer, what can you tell us?!

Lleminawc

Castle of Crossed Destinies has some lovely plates of some of the Visconti-Sforza cards, at least in the edition available in the UK. After reading that book I got miniature V-S and TdM decks with the intention of reproducing the layouts ... I'll get around to it some day.

Lleminawc

I just got Sepulchre this week and am on page 101 (out of 544).

Anyone else reading it?

Lleminawc

Possible goof?

One thing is already worrying me about this novel. The "Vernier Tarot" has Strength at VIII and Justice at XI; at the time of the novel's earlier time-strand, the 1890s, this ordering would only have been known AFAIK to initiates of the Golden Dawn. A French deck would surely have been more likely to follow the Marseille ordering. I'm waiting to see if this apparent anomaly is explained later in the book.

Magnolia

I spotted this book the other day as I walked into a bookshop and as I enjoyed Labrinyth I almost went over to pick it up. But I had gone in to the shop to buy a book on the Tarot so I kept walking. I bought "Learning the Tarot" by Joan Bunning. Now I know that Kate Mosse's new book deals with the Tarot I'll go back and buy it. Thanks for the tip.

Anam Cara

I don't think this book is available in the US yet! waauuuu! :confused:
According to US Amazon, publish date is 4/1/08.
SO! I've put in a request for our local library to purchase it :D
If they do, and if I'm the first to request it, I'll be the first person it goes to...
(that's if I don't break down and purchase a copy from the UK first!! }) )
The library has several copies of Labyrinth, though, and it's now on my hold list. (Castle of Crossed Destinies is too!)
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
:heart:cara

Little Hare

I've seen this book about five times and each time gone over picked it up and haven't bought it, I must be dense though because when reading the back i had no idea it had tarot woven into it... I might go and pick it up tommorrow as a present for studying for my exams ;)