seven of cups and strength

Ethereal

i had this combo come up in a relationship question in regards to the other parties inability to let go of the relationship after it was long over. i know the 7 of cups is daydreams, fantasies, and choice involved. however, strength here kind of confuses me. all i can see here paired with the 7 of cups , (as fantasies) is strength representing strong feelings of lust for the other person, still. also, could it mean anger paired with lust? especially after a bitter break up. not sure how to look at these two together, here.

Grizabella

All cards have the shadow side/negative meaning attached to them and in this case, depending on whether you read reversals or not and depending on the other cards in the spread, I'd say this could mean they're having to control vindictive or revengeful urges they're daydreaming about doing or that they might have done.

rwcarter

Do you use reversals in your readings? I don't, so the first thing that came to my mind was that Strength could have negative connotations so that the pair could mean the other person doesn't have the strength to stop fantasizing about what was and what could be.

If you do use reversals (and since Strength wasn't reversed) the pair could mean that the other person is grappling with trying to find the strength to stop daydreaming about the past.

HTH,
Rodney

samantha

I think I would probably read these as what they are doing: 7 cups (which here is clearly a problem) and what they are not doing, but should be: Strength (So solution/advice)

If your friend has been caught up in a fantasy world and is in denial: 7 cups (as she appears to be ) then she is going to require stamina and strength of mind (strength ) to make that decision (7) to tackle and defeat (Strength ) the emotional high/feel good factor she gets from these illusions and finds so hard to do without (the addictive side to the seven)
I think this is part of a larger spread ? But find it interesting that the combined value is 15 (devil) --> 6 (lovers ) . IMO the devil says that she really is in denial about this, but as many addicts happily so for the timebeing.

Apollo_19

I see this somehow as scapism if you take that both cards ar ill-dignified...

I feel that this person of the reading has scaped or is trying to scape from reality because at this moment in their life they are lacking the personal strenght to take over their own live.

This person is probably just going through a hard phase so she needs to go to a "happy place" to make her feel better. It is natural until some point when we are depressed, but since you said this relationship is long over, I'd advise her to seek help because when much time passes and the person can't move on it can only do them harm.