Seven Straight lines on Justice's Scale

firemaiden

Vincent said:
This card is a standard symbol for Justice, that has ancient origins, so I really can't see any connection to the seven chakras any more than a connection to the seven planets, the seven musical notes, or the seven days of the week.

Actually, I'm with Vincent on this one. (Although there is nothing to prevent us from enjoying making this association)

However, yes now that Vincent has pointed out what the "lines" actually are, I see those are simply the strings that attach the scales, and are depicted the same way exactly in the Marseille Justice card.

Also, if we are looking for numbers in the lines, I find it odd to include the cross bar. Or, if we include the cross bar, why do we not include the handle (and get eight lines)...for Justice...(if Justice were numbered properly!).

On the other hand there is a natural link between "scales" and notes/chakras/colours that doesn't require any tortured associations - the seven notes are a scale, as are the colours and the chakras.

Moongold

Vincent said:
Yes, I was puzzled at first.

I think it is a reference to the six lines that connect the scales to the crosspiece, the crosspiece being the seventh line.

This card is a standard symbol for Justice, that has ancient origins, so I really can't see any connection to the seven chakras any more than a connection to the seven planets, the seven musical notes, or the seven days of the week.

I was intrigued by this post. If one reads intuitively and sees the seven chakras as essential to balance in the body. then it's perfectly legimate to make the connection Javane and Bunker record, given the association of balance and Justice.

An interesting think about XI Justice is that Justice is associated with Libra. Libra rules the kidneys which in turn are responsible for the elimination of waste and restoration of balance to the body.

Javane and Bunker make this connection. It would be intresting to check the Golden Dawn literature.

Moongold

That is a fascinating connection Vincent. Where would you information in a fairly accessible form about these ancient attributions? Would they appear in any standard dictionary of mythology?

By the way "thinK' in my post should be "thing". :)

Vincent

Moongold said:
That is a fascinating connection Vincent. Where would you information in a fairly accessible form about these ancient attributions? Would they appear in any standard dictionary of mythology?

By the way "thinK' in my post should be "thing". :)

Yes.

The Hamlyn Concise Dictionary of Greek and Roman Mythology is fairly good.

Vincent